• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper Chaincase important info

Status
Not open for further replies.
09nytro said:
Some guys have check them before they rode them and where two turns out , but the AC manual says to back out 1 1/2 not a 1/4 , so I'm thinking they may not be adjusted right from factory ....maybe .....
That sounds goofy to back off 1 1/2 turns. That's a ton! I wouldn't back it off that far if it were mine.

Can someone provide instructions on what needs to be done to remove the exhaust to gain access to the chain case adjustment nut? The exhaust bolts are apparent but guidance with the spring and any other hidden connections and how to preserve the gasket would be appreciated.

Chain Case

Really like the sled. Nicest sled I have ever owned in MHO

I am just waiting for more feed back. I have not seen any reports (Unless I missed it) back from anyone who can give any facts as to what the dealer said happened. Especially anyone that had broken gears. I also have not seen any reports that it has happened a second time. Most of you guys are a lot smarter than me BUT I have talked with three separate guys who know what they are talking about and they all agreed on two things.

#1. A loose chain alone will not cause a sled to jump out of gear

#2. If it jumps out of gear whether there is damage or not "It is a problem"

I am older as are most of my sled friends and I have asked twenty five guys and have not found one that ever had a sled jump out of gear.

I just finished my tensioner and 300 mile oil change, not too tough.

I first unplugged the O2 sensor, then loosened the 3 exhaust bolt approx 1 turn, then took a utility knife and ran it between gasket and header side of connection point. I then pulled the spring off of the top of muffler, loosened bolts all the way and lifted exhaust out.

For install I used a piece of electrical tape to hold the spring upright, set can in place, started all bolts and tightened, then used a spring puller to hook spring. Finally hook up O2 sensor. No sweat. I did loose approx 2" of one of the 3 gasket layers so i took a razor blade and smoothed the transition where the tear was. No leaking upon reassebly!

BlueByYou2000 said:
09nytro said:
Some guys have check them before they rode them and where two turns out , but the AC manual says to back out 1 1/2 not a 1/4 , so I'm thinking they may not be adjusted right from factory ....maybe .....
That sounds goofy to back off 1 1/2 turns. That's a ton! I wouldn't back it off that far if it were mine.
In the tread " chain case precedure " it was posted right out of the AC manual and it say for the 7000 back off 1 1/2 turns
I think it to much to so I adjusted it at 1/4 turn out , I'm sure right from the factory they are set at 1 1/2 so that's why some are way out and turning the adjust in so much ,tensioner isn't set right at the factory !

Adjusted mine yesterday... the Yamaha Manual says back off a 1/4 turn after finger tight... do what it says in the manual not from the Cat guys...

MrSled said:
Adjusted mine yesterday... the Yamaha Manual says back off a 1/4 turn after finger tight... do what it says in the manual not from the Cat guys...
X2

MrSled said:

I thought the Cat's had an automatic chain adjuster on the 7000's. So I'm guess that is for another model cat.

Head Gasket

Head gasket from Exhaust is not. Some have used it but It does not look like it is worth trying.

So 1/4 turn back is good ,that's how I've done every yamaha that I owned.

Well I only have about 60 miles on mine so I thought I would check it. It took about three turns and I backed off a 1/4 of a turn. I hope that is correct. I think the problem is from the factory. I bet both the cats and the yamis were both set at 1 1/2 turns out so I would think with a manual tensioner 1/4 turn out will be correct. I hope!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back