• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper Chaincase important info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody picking up a loud whining noise on deceleration after adjusting chain? 3 turns to tighten,backed off a half....

I noticed that on mine also when off the gas, started to sweat when I read the other blog on chain case procedures. But I have read both the Viper manual and the 7000 Arctic Cat manual and they are identical when they describe the procedure on chain tension adjustment. Both say tighten finger tight and back off 1/4 turn. I don't know where this 1 1/2 turn back off is coming from. My son has the 7000, and made sure I read his manual to make sure.

I've got the Cat, and don't remember it making the noise early? Think I'm gonna back it off a couple and just see what it does . Kinda annoying right now. Just saw your post Rob,maybe thats where the backing off a round and a half comes in? Seems strange. Thought that might be it,but adj. with fingers...

If you arent familiar with doing a Yamaha chain adjustment then go to a dealer. It should not whine any different when done. It is a feel thing. Very different for different people. Make sure you move the rubber seal out before setting tension so it doesnt interfere with how it feels.

Maybe this is old news but looking up into the" oil filter bay", it appears the chaincase adjuster can be adjusted from down below. You can surely reach the long end of the bolt and loosen/tighten it. Not easy..but doable. Looks like enough room to get your hand in there to mess with it but re-tightening the jam nut is going to take some engineering. Perhaps cutting off the boxed end of wrench and welding that to some handle would do the trick.

Lots of smart guys here. I bet somebody comes up with something.

cannondale27 said:
If you arent familiar with doing a Yamaha chain adjustment then go to a dealer. It should not whine any different when done. It is a feel thing. Very different for different people. Make sure you move the rubber seal out before setting tension so it doesnt interfere with how it feels.

Would be nice if they mentioned this in the owners manual. I loosened the nut and tightened until I felt resistance at three turns and backed off about 1/4 turn plus. If there is any whine I will back off some more.

Yup Cat Service manual says 1.5 back and owners manual for the Viper says back off a 1/4 turn. Which is right? Probably doesnt matter since at 300mi mine was two turns out and worked just fine. I did it by the book at 1/4 turn and no whine so leaving it.

cannondale27 said:
Yup Cat Service manual says 1.5 back and owners manual for the Viper says back off a 1/4 turn. Which is right? Probably doesnt matter since at 300mi mine was two turns out and worked just fine. I did it by the book at 1/4 turn and no whine so leaving it.

X2 I did the same thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back