• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper Chaincase important info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorry. The owners manual still should be gospel since most do not have access to service manual. If no whining noise and within a half turn-1/4 turn out I would leave it.

It can be gospel and will be protected by warranty, but it is a misprint. It will all be straightened out soon and be fact. Does a 1/4 vs 1.5 really matter? Probably not unless it's too tight or loose either way.

cannondale27 said:
Sorry. The owners manual still should be gospel since most do not have access to service manual. If no whining noise and within a half turn-1/4 turn out I would leave it.
Dude ....
On a different post a long while back you posted the AC service Manuel and it said the same thing :jump:
So that's what I did when I adjusted mine .... Some times you got to read though the lines !

Does it matter, maybe.
At 46 miles found at 2 turns, set to 1/3 turn. Couple rides found at 1 turn, set to 2/3 turn. couple more rides found at 1 turn. Had dealer check his service manual, it said 1 1/2 turns so set there. couple more rides, now 450 miles and still at 1 1/2 turns.
My concern is that if I cause the chain to stretch it will likely not crap out till warrenty is over.
Not sure with the temp. the chain case runs due to engine oil temp. witch expands first the case or the chain.

09nytro said:
cannondale27 said:
Dude ....
On a different post a long while back you posted the AC service Manuel and it said the same thing :jump:
So that's what I did when I adjusted mine .... Some times you got to read though the lines !

I know I did but why should I trust cat? I bought my sled from Yamaha and you know what book said. Been setting chains forever and never went that loose. I am leaving it alone till clarified.

cannondale27 said:
09nytro said:
cannondale27 said:
Dude ....

I know I did but why should I trust cat? I bought my sled from Yamaha and you know what book said. Been setting chains forever and never went that loose. I am leaving it alone till clarified.
Why not trust them , they built the sled yamaha didn't !

I set mine backed out ½ turn before I even rode it and it doesn't whine at all so I am leaving it. That's the same way I have done it since I started riding and have never shelled out a chaincase. Will check it again after my next ride, 130 miles so far.

BlueByYou2000 said:
Yamaha is telling all dealers that it is vital to check and most often tighten your chain adjuster after a couple hundred miles. It is a manual adjuster and will involve removing the exhaust canister. Really a pretty simple job. Most reports are saying the adjuster bold will need between 1 and 2 complete revolutions. I would run it finger tight, then back off just a bit, then set lock nut. It is important for everyone to do this, especially those do you running studs. Have fun, and get out there and enjoy the snow! :sled1:

here is what i did. i did my first service at 270 miles. chain was just over 3 turns out from finger tight. did it by the book to 1/4 turn back, rode the sled a total of 300 feet and back into the shop. chain was WAAAYYYYY too tight. loosened it to a full turn, much better sounding, but still wasnt right, removed muffler for a 3rd time, and loosened to the cat spec at 1.5 turns back and perfect, no noise whatsoever. if you are doing the adjustment yourself, and go by the 1/4 turn it says in the book, you will do damage to your chain and gears without a doubt. and i would bet yamaha warranty would find a way out of paying for it. use your heads, you guys know if something doesn't sound right. if you have whine after chain adjustment, its too tight, plain and simple. i am guessing the sleds were assembled at 1.5 turns out, break in will normally stretch a chain and cut gears another 1.5-2 turns. hope this helps, and saves some of you guys the headache of taking the muffler in and out and putting the hood on and off several times like i had to do to get it correct because the book was wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back