• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What Did You Do To Your Sled Today???

put 16 into garage to thaw so i can replace the relay rods on it tomorrow night.

We installed the Barn of Parts relay rods in ours this fall. Steel rods instead of aluminum.
Same bushings as stock. Hope they hold up!
had no time to get bop ones as found this sunday when replacing the shock before the ty ride. ordered oe ones before i left. would still be waiting another week or more for customs to release the bop ones.

So went for my first ride of the season and it was a short one. 10 minutes into the ride, I get a code 46 (Abnormal voltage to injection system). Head back home right away, get into the driveway and shut it down. The battery was already dead and couldn't restart.

Tested the stator, was within specs and not shorted to ground and produced 35vac on all three legs. Wiring was good so the regulator is suspect. The battery seemed fine but was of an unknown age and an off-brand so decided to replace it anyway. Royal had both and also had a promotion of a 25% off by way of a gift card.

Installed them while the snow was flying, a quick test run and I'm back in business with 14v+. The casing of the aftermarket regulator ($90) was a bit thicker and required longer bolts than original. I wasn't paying $406 for a Yamaha.

IMG_20230119_191457_resized2953189270848648865.jpg

Took apart the old one. The potting was separating from the case. It was full of corrosion. Surprised it worked at all.

IMG_20230119_194433_resized5805861763814219886.jpg

Tomorrow will be a better day :letsnow:

yesterday was a beautiful day, in the 50's so I took the sled out to wash it. Opened the cowling to take a look around and noticed a hose clamp was not there. Followed the hose and found the clamp lower down the hose, reconnected it and decided to check all the hoses and found 4 more very loose, fixed them. Ok, so I paid some $600+ US to the dealer to go through my sled and I suspect they never even looked at the hoses, wiring under the "hood". I was pissed!!! Am I wrong to expect the dealer to check hoses with everything else for that kind of money? Now I kinda understand why TYers stay away from the dealer and fix their own sled. I'm glad I checked the hoses, looking at all the wiring and stuff scares the hell out of me to put a wrench to any of it. I'm done with dealers and just need a good mechanic. Joe

yesterday was a beautiful day, in the 50's so I took the sled out to wash it. Opened the cowling to take a look around and noticed a hose clamp was not there. Followed the hose and found the clamp lower down the hose, reconnected it and decided to check all the hoses and found 4 more very loose, fixed them. Ok, so I paid some $600+ US to the dealer to go through my sled and I suspect they never even looked at the hoses, wiring under the "hood". I was pissed!!! Am I wrong to expect the dealer to check hoses with everything else for that kind of money? Now I kinda understand why TYers stay away from the dealer and fix their own sled. I'm glad I checked the hoses, looking at all the wiring and stuff scares the hell out of me to put a wrench to any of it. I'm done with dealers and just need a good mechanic. Joe

Now you know. Dealers are only as good as their mechanics. Yes, you should be a bit ticked.

While reading some of your other post regarding the drive axle and the bearing, I thought to myself he's putting a lot of faith in his dealer/mechanic rather than checking it himself. Now might be the time to revisit their work. Not saying all dealers are bad because there are truly some awesome ones out there. Sometimes paying the lower price at one dealer is not worth it compared to the quality of service of the other dealers.

While reading some of your other post regarding the drive axle and the bearing, I thought to myself he's putting a lot of faith in his dealer/mechanic rather than checking it himself. Now might be the time to revisit their work. Not saying all dealers are bad because there are truly some awesome ones out there. Sometimes paying the lower price at one dealer is not worth it compared to the quality of service of the other dealers.
I had to wait 77 days one time to get the chain case sealed up. I brought my sled to another dealer after that, I had no confidence. Now this dealer who is in the same chain as the other doesn't check the hoses. I'm sick of it, it costs me a small fortune and they seemly dont do their job. The guy I trusted retired his dealership and he was a really good mechanic, he was in Rangeley Maine. That's a 5 1/2 hour drive from my house but worth it. I need a trustworthy mechanic, I dont have the knowledge or tools/computer to work on this sled myself.
I dont think I have been paying for a lesser quality mechanic at shop rate of $125/hr, I'm just getting a mechanic who doesn't take a few extra minutes to really check the sled.
You are right, all their work is now suspect and I need it checked out.

100% agree with working on your sled. Any money a dealer would charge could be spent on any tool you may need, and the information to do most anything is readily available. Personally, I have an electric sled lift and 7000Lbs car lift in my personal shop so that I can work on everything. Tools last forever.

100% agree with working on your sled. Any money a dealer would charge could be spent on any tool you may need, and the information to do most anything is readily available. Personally, I have an electric sled lift and 7000Lbs car lift in my personal shop so that I can work on everything. Tools last forever.
I've been buying tools and just got a torque wrench, I do have a lift to raise the sled. Now I'm wondering why the hoses were loose, did the dealer switch out some parts on my sled...kinda feel like my butt has been violated.

That's the nice thing with doing your own work. The tools you end up needing/purchasing can be justified by the money you end up saving. Case in point, the drive axle bearing in my truck went out on the way back from our snowmobile trip between Christmas and New Years this year. I had a torque wrench but it was only 20-150ft/lb and torques needed were over that. I ended up replacing both drive axle bearing thinking if the one failed, the other would certainly follow, and justified the purchase of my new 20-250ft/lb torque with the money I saved. I'll be honest, I was a bit intimidated as I had done brakes before but never a drive axle bearing but after speaking with my one buddy who is a diesel mechanic at a technical school and going over what all was involved, it was very rewarding to complete the task on my own.

I don't know if it's the state of affairs these days that causes this or just a lack of work ethics but it seems like the quality of everything is going downhill. I started doing my own work as a teenager out of necessity as I couldn't afford taking my car to a shop and I enjoyed doing my own work and taking pride in it. I figure I have saved hundreds of thousands over the years. My last big job I did on my sled was the head gasket. Read up here and in the manual how to do it and even found a trick on YouTube on how to make the head flat myself. There's videos for just about every job out there. Even TY has its own channel.

Sometimes paying the lower price at one dealer is not worth it compared to the quality of service of the other dealers.

I dont think I have been paying for a lesser quality mechanic at shop rate of $125/hr, I'm just getting a mechanic who doesn't take a few extra minutes to really check the sled.
You are right, all their work is now suspect and I need it checked out.
Didn't mean to imply you were paying for lesser quality of service as my comment was more about buying a sled from a dealer with the lowest cost and then using their mechanic for servicing vs purchasing from another dealer with a slightly higher cost but better quality of service.

Back