• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What to use for trail gps and mount?

that is nice I might of gave it a try if I did not already go the other way

I have used a couple different Nuvi's. And at the price you can find them online used, you could buy 8 of them for the price of a new waterproof one. But they work just fine. I bought a 40LM this weekend on facebook market place for $20. The LM has lifetime maps, so I updated it and it rocks. Then it just needs the Redpine Maps loaded. Now cheap RAM cradle and it's ready for a new sledder. I set them up for our sled group so they understand just how easy it is.

Emily from Redpine Mapping is a member of my Facebook group. She says new maps for 2017/2018 are in the works and should be live soon. At $29, you cannot go wrong and they are easy to load with a PC and USB cable to the GPS.

Biggest kicker, is have a 12v DC outlet available, or purchase the Garmin hardwire kit. They need power to stay lit up. And if you go with a Nuvi without the powered cradle, be sure to zip tie the power cord to the cradle so that it is not constantly whipping the power cord. It will bust the power outlet on the GPS sooner or later.

Good luck!

Ok, so thru Amazon I ordered......

Nuvi 5" & Ram cradle for $95.00 shipped
Red pine mapping $29.99.
Total $125.00

6" was a couple bucks more. So for those that have a hard time seeing $130?

I ran a nuvi 4.3" for years while snowmobiling. Let it in the back of my truck and broke it.

0F8FF3A2-C82B-4AF7-BED6-2B8C66A836D7.jpeg
5A3E0CA8-18B5-48D2-BED6-A548EF650CBD.jpeg
B6148F96-9F6A-4778-BCF2-D18A3396D4C5.jpeg
Another year, another GPS mount. Inspired by RocketDans mount I made a plate to bolt to riser bar clamp to take away vibes and weakness of Ram ball mounts. I am still running a Garmin Montana 600 on an Amps powered mount. Tempted to get 6” or larger Nuvi but haven’t yet.

We use real Chartplotters with mapping capabilities from Lowrance. Currently we use and sell the Elite Series. 4 and 5. We also have these units on Lake County Sherriff sleds and ORV for search and Rescue. I have been working with VV Mapping since 2005 to have the best most accurate snowmobile maps in Michigan. Gps is not a novilty but really a life saving tool. I myself have been lost in a full blown Blizard while in the U P. The mapping trails guided us out and back to civilization Use your GPS as. Digital map set for North up zoom out enough to see several routes. Don’t use heading up it will confuse you as to where your going.

nicely done!! Is that 7/16" al? I think I am going to have to copy this......

I used a piece of aluminum angle bent to desired angle.

IMG_1782 (800x600).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1782 (800x600).jpg
    IMG_1782 (800x600).jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 79
Do you attach the transducer, so you know how deep the water is, when it goes through the ice? I have seen plenty of guys using their Lowrance from the summer, and yes, they do attach the transducer when stopped for fishing. Nice work!

The kicker is having a Nuvi with the docking port first. Look at the bottom or backside of your Nuvi to be sure it has those connections. Most do not have it, but the ones that do, usually do have it on the dock they ship with. Some of those docks are removable.

The 7" my buddy just bought did, and that little cradle piece then attached to the RAM mount, and the usb cable plugged into that. Otherwise, there are cradles out there, just be sure your GPS can use it. For conversation sake, what model Nuvi are you trying to use?

Back