• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

when your hyfax burn down into the wear mark

mike3577

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
09 nytro xtx, 8 inch slydog powederhounds, mbrp silencer, ulmer racing clutching, fast track studs,cr10ek sparkplugs,
how many more miles are you guys getting out of them on a xtx.mine were halfway thought the wear mark when i left to the u.p,rode 300 miles in mostly good snow and the are still about the same now as when i left.i was scared when i left that i should of changed them before i left for the ride but didnt have to.alot of guys might be changing them way to early.i changed my last set when they were halfway burned though the wear mark

I'm pretty curious about this too. I just changed mine during my last ride. Wore down to the wear line, put on new ones, and rode one day and they were already wore down to about the same spot. Curious if they will stay at the same wear point now for some time. I had almost 2000 miles on my first set of hyfax. Then put on 80 and they wore down right away.

My experience with Yamahas - XTC's, APEX, VENTURE GT- is they wear to the line in a hurry and then takes forever to wear through the line. I have put three thousand miles on my Apex when I thought they were near shot at 3-500.

Last year put new on, road 200 miles and checked before I left for a 1800 mile trip and they looked just like the ones I took off, those had over 2,000- so I am at the point now where I change them once a year whether they need it or not and just expect wear to the line quick and then stay the same.

If you search you will find many new Yamaha guys complaining of rapid slide wear then you get used to it. I have not read of wear through to the clips hitting the rails.

Good luck,

Personally I have quit worrying about it............smart maybe?

Yamadoo

Ten Yamaha's here since 1998. [XTC's, V Max's, Warrior, Vector and a couple of Apex's]

I have never changed the Hyfax on any of them. Some sleds have over 10,000 miles on them.

As mentioned above, they wear fast down close to the line and then pretty much stop as long as you do not completely abuse them.

I am not easy on them [some plowed road work] but if I feel them heating up I go find some snow immediatly. I rarely run ice. My track tension is on the loose side of spec. No extra wheels or larger diameter.

If you get to the point where you can't see the wear line anymore you can use an open end wrench to check them too. When you can put a 11 mm wrench over the whole hyfax your getting close, a 10mm and I would change them. 1,980 miles on my XTX and I still can't get a 13 mm over them anywhere!

I have an 09 XTX changed mine at about 3000 miles. I probably could of got another 200 miles or so. They seem to wear fast at first like half, then wear slowly after that. I used to put new slides on my Arctic Kitties, then run on glare ice to get them hot, then immediately go into snow to cool them fast. They lasted forever then. Of course I fixed that sled more than I rode it too and slides don't wear very fast on a rec-lift!

I started out on what turned out to be a 325 mile ride this weekend. My slides were at the wear line when I started. I was going to put new ones on, but my dealer only had one! Anyway, I rode the whole 325 miles and it never went past the wear line. Which is hard to believe since we rode on some bare tar and rodes for a bit of the ride and the rest of it was not that great. I am going to change them before this weekend.
I am really curious though. I rode with a Ski-doo, a couple of Cats and 3 Polaris sleds and none of them wear as unevenly as mine. What causes this with Yamaha's? The slide rails all look basically the same and on some sleds they have less wheels than I have.

i got 1000 miles on mine and still in great shape

Mine also wear fast in the first 100-200 miles then stop and last the rest of the year. 2000 miles out of set with no worries here, I also check my track tension and run it as loose as i can without skipping.

I'm a Doo guy and I can tell you my experience with both the REV and REV-XP is the same as you guys see on your Nytros. Wear down to the line in 300-500 miles then stop, and I wouldn't change them for 1000-2000 miles after that. Even then I was surprised when I took them off and cut them to see how much was left. Could have gone a lot further in most cases.

good info guys.. thanks

1600 mile on a set last season. There was good life left when I changed them.
1400 miles on this season. Still have 1/16" of wear line still showing at the thinest point.
We are heading to the UP this weekend. Plan on doing at least 300 miles. No worries on the sliders for me.

Hyfax

larrypolaris said:
1600 mile on a set last season. There was good life left when I changed them.
1400 miles on this season. Still have 1/16" of wear line still showing at the thinest point.
We are heading to the UP this weekend. Plan on doing at least 300 miles. No worries on the sliders for me.
I've got over a 1000 kms on a new set with excell wheels and they look like the day I put them on.

I just bought a new leftover 2010 RTX SE. Still kept the 2 Revs. I took the Yamaha and my girlfriend and father took the Revs, after 325 kms the Nytro was wore down.. took them off and they had little left.. Changed to new one and got 700kms out of them.. One Rev got 10000kms and other got over 11000kms on Orig Hyfax. Any way to fix this Yamaha problem.. Track is running loose, good snow conditions.... Any suggestions...

Thanks

Back