• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Which Boost Controller?

Turbo Tim

TY 4 Stroke Master
I am trying to find a boost controller that will give 12 p.s.i to 15 p.s.i without any spikes in boost.
...........I do not like the boost controllers that bleed boost out of the wastegate tube .............the problem with these I am having is they require a restrictor jet in the wastegate tube which causes an initial spike in boost . ........This initial spike in boost I have found causes me tuning problems .I have found that without the boost controller and corresponding restrictor jet installed My sleds run great , But with them I get a sputter off idle , I think the initial spike in boost off idle overcharges the pitot tube causing a very brief rich condition. .....Any Ideas ? ..............the "bleed" type wastegate controllers won't work without the restrictor jet.

Another option, Turbonetics has a variable controller that when combined with a dual port actuator, applies pressure to both sides of the actuator allowing resistance to control boost levels. This setup works very well and has zero spikes. I use it on my GT28r turbo now and also on my previous GT25 turbos. Boost is controlled by a twist knob and is completely variable between 7 and the max your turbo will develop.

If you were going to combine that controller with a 2 stage electric controller, would you put it before or after the electric controller? I like the ability to push the button and get the second stage boost when running and would also like to be able to turn the knob to change the amount of boost available. Say I normally run 10 and 14, I would like to be able to turn the variable knob and run 14 & 18 or 6 & 10 depending on my needs.

If you were to combine the controllers then you would place the Turbonetics variable controller after the electric controller as a upper limit controller.

Thanks , that 's wat I needed to know . I didn't want to get one of those if it was just going to be basically what i have already.

Big-zig said:
If you were to combine the controllers then you would place the Turbonetics variable controller after the electric controller as a upper limit controller.

That's what I was thinking. So, if I was runiing the 8/12 I could change the variable and run more ore less. That would be the perfect setup.

Back