• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Who Bought 2018 Apex?.... The Last Apex...

I ordered a 2018 XTX on Friday.
Already have a line on an Ice ripper for less than a grand tax in'
dealer will swap it out during set up.
Absolutely loved my 2008 LTX'

well I just bought a new jacket last year and it should be good for a few years and it is blue so I cant get a 2018 apex as they don't come in blue or even black just red.... could have sworn Yamaha color was Blue????
A lot of people think Blue is Yamaha's signature color. No doubt it has been on quite a few (including 3 of my previous), but vintage Yamaha's were red, white and black. Ever since the anniversary edition apex in '08, I really took a liking to that scheme.

Already have a line on an Ice ripper for less than a grand tax in'

I didn't think the Ice Ripper came in a 146"; thought the longest was a 136". I also didn't realize there aren't too many options to swap out the 1.75 Back Country. What were the 1.5" tracks guys were putting on their XT-X's? Leaning towards the Ice Attak and although I'm not really keen on going down to a 1.22", it might be the better track for trail riding not just in the U.P. like the 1.75 would be.

I didn't think the Ice Ripper came in a 146"; thought the longest was a 136". I also didn't realize there aren't too many options to swap out the 1.75 Back Country. What were the 1.5" tracks guys were putting on their XT-X's? Leaning towards the Ice Attak and although I'm not really keen on going down to a 1.22", it might be the better track for trail riding not just in the U.P. like the 1.75 would be.

You are correct. Ice attack.
Comes in 1.22 and 1.375

My only thought on the 1.75 XTX is the how much do the smaller drives slow the top end! By the Fiche their gearing is the same so the smaller drivers would change the overall gearing same as putting a smaller bottom drive gear in. I have a chance at a left over but don't want the 1.75, would probably go to a 1.22 ice ripper, there is a 1.6 ice cobra but I don't want the taller lug! Traction has never been an issue for me! One option would be to up the bottom gear a tooth or two to get it back to same overall gearing as the 1.25. Changing the drivers is another option as the track needs to come out anyway! Just wondering if anyone has put the smaller lug track on and what the difference was.

My only thought on the 1.75 XTX is the how much do the smaller drives slow the top end! By the Fiche their gearing is the same so the smaller drivers would change the overall gearing same as putting a smaller bottom drive gear in. I have a chance at a left over but don't want the 1.75, would probably go to a 1.22 ice ripper, there is a 1.6 ice cobra but I don't want the taller lug! Traction has never been an issue for me! One option would be to up the bottom gear a tooth or two to get it back to same overall gearing as the 1.25. Changing the drivers is another option as the track needs to come out anyway! Just wondering if anyone has put the smaller lug track on and what the difference was.

Sometime they gear them back up to compensate.. but uncertain on this unit. I am keeping the 1.75 back country.. love that track. I have it on my Nytro XTX Supercharged and it is a blast.

I am keeping the 1.75 back country.. love that track. I have it on my Nytro XTX Supercharged and it is a blast.

Tom,
I take it you pulled the trigger and snow checked the Apex XTX? Did you end up going thru Nelson's? That was a pretty sweet price and I think it even pissed the guy off at Planet Powersports in Coldwater, MI when I told him how much I get it for; well at least he never called me back after forwarding him Nelson's numbers. The only other place that was close to Nelson's was American Powersports in Findlay, OH. Although their out-the-door price was $1000 more, they were going to give me $500 more for my trade-in but figured I could use the $500 I saved by going with Nelson's to purchase the YES extended warranty.

As for your Nytro XTX, do you find yourself limited to where you can ride it with the 1.75 track; like in the lower peninsula or even the U.P. when snow conditions are not favorable. For example, we were up the U.P over President's Day weekend and the following week this year and although the trails weren't that bad, there was no new snow. I didn't have any issues with the 1.25" track on my LT-X but am not certain how a 1.75" would have fared in those same conditions. I'm not opposed to keeping the 1.75" on the XTX I snow checked but also don't want to limit myself on the new Apex considering my 08 didn't have power steering and is one of many reasons for upgrading.

Last edited:
Tom,
I take it you pulled the trigger and snow checked the Apex XTX? Did you end up going thru Nelson's? That was a pretty sweet price and I think it even pissed the guy off at Planet Powersports in Coldwater, MI when I told him how much I get it for; well at least he never called me back after forwarding him Nelson's numbers. The only other place that was close to Nelson's was American Powersports in Findlay, OH. Although their out-the-door price was $1000 more, they were going to give me $500 more for my trade-in but figured I could use that $500 I saved to purchase the YES extended warranty.

As for your Nytro XTX, do you find yourself limited to where you can ride it with the 1.75 track; like in the lower peninsula or even the U.P. when snow conditions are not favorable. For example, we were up the U.P over President's Day weekend and the following week this year and although the trails weren't that bad, there was no new snow. I didn't have any issues with the 1.25" track on my LT-X but am not certain how a 1.75" would have fared in those same conditions. I'm not opposed to keeping the 1.75" on the XTX I snow checked but also don't want to limit myself on the new Apex considering my 08 didn't have power steering and is one of many reasons for upgrading.

I have not snow checked it yet.. still working out some other details. As far as 1.75, I run Ice Scratchers and duponts with no problems in Mid WI all the way to the UP in any conditions as long as its snow and ice. I had 1.6 Cobra on a Viper XTX for 5000 miles and then sold it with that same track to my bud after installing a Turbo, logged 2000 more miles on with scatachers and is still running the same Hyfax.

I have not snow checked it yet.. still working out some other details. As far as 1.75, I run Ice Scratchers and duponts with no problems in Mid WI all the way to the UP in any conditions as long as its snow and ice. I had 1.6 Cobra on a Viper XTX for 5000 miles and then sold it with that same track to my bud after installing a Turbo, logged 2000 more miles on with scatachers and is still running the same Hyfax.

Thanks for the insight. To be honest, I hadn't really thought about just adding Dupont sliders and Ice Scratchers rather than swap out tracks.

I have had the Backcountry 1.75 on two of my sleds and have had no issues. Love that track and would recommend it. I also had Duponts and Excel wheel kits on them though. Have ran them that way together for about 9,000 miles!;)!

Sometime they gear them back up to compensate.. but uncertain on this unit. I am keeping the 1.75 back country.. love that track. I have it on my Nytro XTX Supercharged and it is a blast.

Same gearing as my 11 with the 1.25. The smaller driver will give some reduction in the final drive. There is nothing wrong with the 1.75, I just find no need for it. My Bulk allows me ample traction on trail and I find the 144 even with the 1.25 floats and performs well off trail. Because I spend so much time on trail as apposed to off I want a bit more traction on ice. I loved the 192 stud up the middle on my Warrior and missed them a bit more then usual this winter with an abundance of ice on the trails. Riding my Warrior on the Lake in the last few weeks on basicly bare ice I was once again wanting some kind of ice performance. Two years in a row we have lost a member of our group with a stud through a heat ex-changer, it was always in the back of my mind when I rode with studs that it could happen.

So that leaves the 1.22 Ice ripper or the 1.6 ice cobra. 1.22 a bit better in low snow conditions the 1.6 a bit better off trail or looser snow conditions! To be honest its a hard decision! The 1.22 could be geared up a tooth the 1.6 would be fine as is.

Should have read further down this thread there is a 1.375, option 3 and I think the best one

Back