• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Who has NOT had a starter issue

starter failure?

• I'm on my origional starter

Votes: 136 84.0%
  • I've had to replace my starter once

Votes: 23 14.2%
  • I've had to replace my starter more than once

Votes: 3 1.9%

• Total voters
Started this year on my third starter. Haven't has a single problem since the EVO reflash and heavier battery cable.

16 LTX DX with 1050kms. No problems yet other than a hard start in -25...finally it started, but I was told to bring a hair dryer for the really cold days as you can't get your hands in there to take out the relay. Turned key over to turn on fuel pump and there was no noise (fuel pump) at all. Turned key over 2 more times, fuel pump finally kicked in. Had to hold the key for a while to the point the battery was dying. Let it sit for a bit, tried about 5mins later and then it started. I'm thinking it was just because it was darn cold! Lol

Always starts no problem throughout the day after the first initial start of the day.

Last edited:
my vote needs to change, starter went out yesterday. Worst time possible had a 200 mile ride planned today and my sled is dropped off at the dealer and waiting for the guys to come back to the cabin from a great riding day. Sled had just over 1100 miles and had one kick back yesterday and it started but didn't start again.

Just turned 6000 km's ,all stock and all updates ,not one problem with sled.

NADA no issues here, 2000 miles on mine

i feel something is not right with yamaha i remember wayyy back in 1981 they released the new tss suspensioned srx after the response to the srv but there were serious crank issues and all the sledds were recalled and motors ripped out and destroyed then the 1982 models were pulled from dealers stock and they were never to be seen again (any old timers like me remember ) then yamaha went back to the ole drawing board and then they had the best sledd for 1983 THE VMAX 540 but it goes to show you there was a big problem and they took very drastic measures to overcome a possibly dangerious issue with crank failures and lost out during the 1981=82 season but i think the company is run by different kind of people than what was running the company then so i guess going by youre servey the 2014-15 sledds seem to be more prone to failures while the fix came mid 2014-15 and seem to settle down in 2016

Changed my vote, starter is done. One kickback too many! Just had the head shimmed for higher boost so I'm hoping it will take a bit of stress off the starter, faster cranking.... Hope my dealer can do the "new flash" while it's in the shop. Dealer says they have done a bunch of viper starters.

I've got 6000km original starter. Still have random starting issues when the machine is warm.

2000+ km's on my 2015 Ltx Le sometimes takes a little longer crank when hot, but has never left me. (yet ;))

Back