• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

XTX Best Suspension setting

I put 4" doolys on my ZR7000 last season and they did help, but still darted on high traffic trails. After reading this thread I think I will have to invest in shims and ski savers.
And ask my dealer to set up my front and rear suspension for my 195 lb weight.

I forgot to mention that my Cat sales guy said that the Cat ski carbides are way to expensive for what the performance I would get from them. He is a Ontario champion in snow cross so hard not to believe him. He said Woodies products are the best in the market....but I forgot to ask him if they were a sponsor. :dunno:

Great information/advice, very much appreciated.

*I have another question and the answer may be long, so if don't want to or can't answer, I completely understand. The Viper (2014) is new to me so I'm always very appreciative of any and all feedback and help. So here's the question; fully dressed I probably weigh approximately 260-270 lbs (6'5" tall). Where should I start as an initial setting (starting point), i.e. ski and skid shocks pressure, etc? I will be riding mostly trails and some lakes and rivers.

Thank you in advance.

The XTX 2014 actually had decent skis stock...so a set of 6 inch carbides will make it turn very nice and not be too aggressive. I like a lot of transfer to carry my skis on take off and still can rail the corners or be able to turn when I have to. My limiter straps were pretty much to the longest length without the shock hitting it's bump spot on full extension. The front floats I use 68-70psi and the rear float I always liked 125psi. The key is to have the center shock (front shock on rear suspension) to be able to ride high enough and not drag the snowflap. The center shock takes most of the abuse on the sled and I am guessing you should be at max adjustment (threads on the center shock all the way up). I am the same as you fully dressed.... I like the stock spring and still using it.
If you want a little more ski pressure, I would suck down the limiter straps 1 hole adjustment. This may cause some darting depending on conditions, but will keep the skis on the ground.

The XTX 2014 actually had decent skis stock...so a set of 6 inch carbides will make it turn very nice and not be too aggressive. I like a lot of transfer to carry my skis on take off and still can rail the corners or be able to turn when I have to. My limiter straps were pretty much to the longest length without the shock hitting it's bump spot on full extension. The front floats I use 68-70psi and the rear float I always liked 125psi. The key is to have the center shock (front shock on rear suspension) to be able to ride high enough and not drag the snowflap. The center shock takes most of the abuse on the sled and I am guessing you should be at max adjustment (threads on the center shock all the way up). I am the same as you fully dressed.... I like the stock spring and still using it.
If you want a little more ski pressure, I would suck down the limiter straps 1 hole adjustment. This may cause some darting depending on conditions, but will keep the skis on the ground.

*Thank you, this is great information and gives me a starting point. Regarding the skis, I have Curve XS, not exactly sure on carbide length (looked at them but never measured) but I'm guessing 6".

Last edited:

To clarify, Max adjustment on center shock is to be at it's stiffest setting (all threats exposed)? Thanks again for your help.
Amazing fourm so informative and helpful...especially for the rookie.

To clarify, Max adjustment on center shock is to be at it's stiffest setting (all threats exposed)? Thanks again for your help.
Amazing forum so informative and helpful...especially for the rookie.

Yes, should have most of the threads showing....almost to it's full compression of spring.

Back