• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

XTX Best Suspension setting

Grim

Veteran
I am have a hard time getting my viper suspension setup, steering is terrible. Another problem is the rear suspension seems to either soft and bottom out or hard and feel every little bump. I wiegh 230 with all my gear and my sled is the xtx. I am just wondering what some of you are using for settings

How much psi do u have in rear shock ? Front shocks ?

Can some one edit this thread title and add XTX to it so we call have model specific suspension threads? THANK YOU !

I was going to begin an XTX specific thread once I logged some miles, low/no snow has me stuck at <80 miles; not quite enough to get past break-in and start to dial in the suspension.

Re: Best Suspension setting

Grim said:
I am have a hard time getting my viper suspension setup, steering is terrible. Another problem is the rear suspension seems to either soft and bottom out or hard and feel every little bump. I wiegh 230 with all my gear and my sled is the xtx. I am just wondering what some of you are using for settings

The XTX is a challenge but depending on your weight and style - I am 5'-7" and 190 lbs.

The first thing to do is loosen the front rear skid shock till there is no preload on the spring. Drop the rear fox to 120 lbs.

Then go on ebay and buy a used pair of simmons flex skis and install 2 8" carbides on each ski. The rubbers on the stock ski will not work even with cat mounting saddles. buy a pair of polaris fusion ski ruubers. You will need to be running about 85 to 90 's in your front shocks.

The XTX is an uncoupled skid so it sill transfer anytime you are on the throttle. And when you enter a turn and try to sweep it through the corner the lift takes the bite out of the front and causes a push. You have to learn to drive it in deep and throw it hard sideways in the direction you are going, let off the front drops and you feel the bite as it starts to turn then get back into the throttle and the track sweep will continue brining you out of the turn.

I drag one finger on the brake and keep the throttle on to keep my clutch engaged but the braking helps drop the nose till it turns.

With so much track and uncoupled suspension it is different style needed to get this to be a trail burner. It is faster from dorner to corner cause of the transfer and lower gearing once you get it set to run through the corners it will be fast everywhere.

Please note: for some reason (I am told to stabilize in shipping) the Viper come set stiff as a rock. If your dealer didn't set it up your sled will be like riding a Polaris....oops...I meant a rock.

XTX

front shocks 65 pounds
front skid shock retainer set half way
rear shock 120 pounds.

My rear shock at 140 would launch me over the bars on a hard rut. I backed it down to 120 and so much better.

One other thought, this chassis likes to be ridden rider forward. If you are standing or sitting back it is not happy.

stingray719 said:
Please note: for some reason (I am told to stabilize in shipping) the Viper come set stiff as a rock. If your dealer didn't set it up your sled will be like riding a Polaris....oops...I meant a rock.

XTX

front shocks 65 pounds
rear shock 120 pounds.

What is the front shock retainer, if I look under there, is it self explanatory? How do I adjust and where?

bcporsche said:
stingray719 said:

XTX

front shocks 65 pounds
rear shock 120 pounds.

What is the front shock retainer, if I look under there, is it self explanatory? How do I adjust and where?

The front skid shock has a spring and a retainer to adjust it. Two rings actually as one is a locking ring. Break the locking ring loose and adjust the main ring to where you want it...most of us run it at half or lower. It comes from the factory set with the rings almost at the top.

Yamadog said:
My rear shock at 140 would launch me over the bars on a hard rut. I backed it down to 120 and so much better.
that's what mines like. Shots back up bad. I mean we have some very rough fields out here now with the melt so it's not very nice at all

I have mine set up like the others have said. 65 in the front. 120-125 in the rear and the front shock spring at halfway. Mine handles pretty good. They will handle good once you figure out what works.

Here is my settings after this weekend and it's even better than it was before.

Front shocks 68 (checked with skis in the air) maybe going down to 64 this weekend.

Center shock with 11 threads showing, rear shock set at 130 and limiter straps now sucked down another hole. I am in the 3rd hole now and the skis will come up 3-4 inches on the hard-packed trail. Rail like no tomorrow with the stock skis a the ride is very plush. If I just get on my sled, I have 3 inches of movement.

When I sit back, I can carry the skis up to 80mph
(see Winterfest 2014 in the racing section for a video)

Those settings Nos posted work very well on XTX. Do them all. The Vipers are very sensitive to adjustments. Huge potential for making anyone happy. Just have to take the time to adjust to your liking.

cannondale27 said:
Those settings Nos posted work very well on XTX. Do them all. The Vipers are very sensitive to adjustments. Huge potential for making anyone happy. Just have to take the time to adjust to your liking.

Thanks bud!

Agree totally, adjust the sled to your liking and small adjustments, make big gains. 5 lbs. more air in the rear float will tame 1 foot wheelies down to 4 inches. Just have to remember that if you adjust settings, do one at a time and record your results. And don't just think that if you change something it won't affect anything else.... you could end up suffering other changes you made. Take your time and find something that works.

Back