• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha Cutting Production for 2019

Yamaha hopefully will give its die hard sled customers some sort of indication if they are going to stay with Cat forever or not, the agreement that these two companies have will soon expire, I have a feeling that Polaris will soon throw their hat into the 4 stroke ring with some sort of Polaris fashion hot rod light 4 stroke turbo engine that will be a game changer, they have been a kind of sleeper in the 4 stroke sled end of things so far, something is in the works, hopefully Yamaha breaks away from Cat and comes out with their own chassis and new lightweight 4 stroke turbo engines filling everything from youth to trail, touring, lake racer and utility.

Yamaha hopefully will give its die hard sled customers some sort of indication if they are going to stay with Cat forever or not, the agreement that these two companies have will soon expire, I have a feeling that Polaris will soon throw their hat into the 4 stroke ring with some sort of Polaris fashion hot rod light 4 stroke turbo engine that will be a game changer, they have been a kind of sleeper in the 4 stroke sled end of things so far, something is in the works, hopefully Yamaha breaks away from Cat and comes out with their own chassis and new lightweight 4 stroke turbo engines filling everything from youth to trail, touring, lake racer and utility.

All I want to see is that Yamaha stay's in the sled business with their own new & improved chassis. I for 1 don't really need a turbo.

All I want to see is that Yamaha stay's in the sled business with their own new & improved chassis. I for 1 don't really need a turbo.
Me to, Yamaha has taken interest in turbo's though, I believe this is how they will be able to keep using 4 strokes to achieve more power in a smaller light weight 4 stroke engines to lighten up their chassis which seems to be a issue for some new and old customers.

When did the Yamaha/AC agreement begin? I know the agreement was for 5 years but what model year did it begin?

Have you ever talked to a Polaris rep? 4s not part of their business plan it’s all 2s and battling out with Doo with light weight sleds and getting back to their roots with the Indy. Polaris has zero interest in 4s snowmobiles and they know it would be a very hard road to hoe since so far behind. To further complicate Polaris building a 4s sled they think the 4s market is too small to justify any ROI. Polaris is capable but no way will you see any 4s sled in the near future if ever from them. Doo is the company that could kick butt in the 4s market with a performance 4s but too invested in their 850 to consider a high hp 4s.

Good question ! Was it 2014 with the SR Viper. OR was it Actually the year before with the 120 srx kids sled ?

They did say A sled OR an engine every year for 5 years.
Although the "Winder", was a sled And an engine.

Good question ! Was it 2014 with the SR Viper. OR was it Actually the year before with the 120 srx kids sled ?

They did say A sled OR an engine every year for 5 years.
Although the "Winder", was a sled And an engine.

if 2014 is right, that would mean model year 2018 was 5 years. I wonder if the agreement is even in effect for 2019??

I think it would be in Yamaha's best interest to buy the Cat division ...assembly,manpower...and they have had their fingers in advancing/changing the assembly system at Cat...as far as Polaris making a 4-Stroke they bought a European...or was it German 4-stroke company a couple years ago...so who knows what they got planned...

I think it would be in Yamaha's best interest to buy the Cat division ...assembly,manpower...and they have had their fingers in advancing/changing the assembly system at Cat...as far as Polaris making a 4-Stroke they bought a European...or was it German 4-stroke company a couple years ago...so who knows what they got planned...
Textron bought the Polaris 4 stroke company, Weber, and renamed it Textron motors. They recently moved production from Germany to Thief River Falls. They use these in their ATV's. Sleds????

I would think there is some tension between Cat and Yamaha on the assembly line, would be like trying to get a Chevy built at a Ford plant, now that Cat has the backing to build sleds and to test new tech that was put on the back burner for lack of funds before, why would Textron need Yamaha other than their engines, I think you will see Textron in the near future soon going to fix or change that also, yes I believe Polaris bought a German company that makes 4 stroke engines, as for talking to a Polaris rep

Only one possible buyer for AC and that would be Yamaha on a very limited bases....BUT.. Yamaha has access to everything they want via OEM Agreement. Up to Textron what happens next and prolly other SW , Viper and Snow Scoot agreements in place as well. AC would have to be dirt cheap for Yamaha to purchase TRF and I'm sure Yamaha will never put their name on any AC 2s engines so that part would be orphaned. Be careful what you wish for..lol

They have limited access that deal is ending as we speak, Yamaha has to decide to carry on as an engine builder and pretend to be a sled company (ever the mags refer to them as Cats when they talk about Yamaha sleds) or become a sled company that one can identify with! I mean line both brands up in the showroom and they all look like Cats. If this is Yamaha's plan to keep dealers supplied with the competitions sleds, so brand competition becomes in house, then I think one company is on the way to being orphaned already

Having toured both Arctic Cat and polaris assembly lines I don't think the average person on the line cares. I got the impression for most of them it is just a job. Until something better comes up.

For any of you who think its a good idea for yamaha to buy artic cat you might as well kiss quality and reliability goodbye...this is a fact and the reason it needs to come from japan!!!just walk thru the assembly.line in TFR..if you want margaret and gertrude in charge of building your sled go buy a cat!!!

I read this and other forums and have never seen a single post by anyone claiming to work at a sled mfg site. Friggin' strange to me. I can't imagine going to work with a "time to make the donuts" attitude when you're making sleds.

Well i used to work for a company that made parts for them and had to go there(trf)for quality issues and yes that is the type of people that work there

Back