• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha has given me no choice.... I'm going with SkiDoo!

yeah but whats the price? Right now I would rather buy a leftover 09 and turbo it than spend just as much for a new one and have a crappy yamacharger for the same price with half the HP.

I doubt we will sell our Apex anytime soon, just stretch and turbo it. Then we will have one hell of a mtn sled.

What kind of riding are you interested in?

I just checked the mag, and they're talking 4 grand plus install, and oddly enough supertrax says they're only for the mtx 153? The riding I'm interested in, and the riding I get to actually do, are entirely different beasts. At some point I'd love to start doing some legitimate mountain riding and playing in some deep snow. However, I'm pretty sure the phazer mtx is going to horribly dissapoint me if I trailer it 1000 miles west and am riding with anybody who either a: knows what they're doing or b: has a lighter, more powerful sled. The riding I end up doing is flatland "boondocking", trying to find pockets of untracked deeper stuff, which in my area tends to be drifted in lakeshores and old logging roads and abandoned farmfields. It would be kinda nice to not run out of power at 50...
My 08 phazer has 1800 miles on it and Y.E.S. til January of 2013. The dealership is talking around 5 grand for trade-in, and the apex has 1200 miles on it, and they're asking 6500 for it. Just don't know what to do...

I honestly don't know why nytro owners would do that, besides the warranty. I mean for a $1000 more you could buy a boondockers turbo and be running 250+ HP. I know last winter when I was still in NY I felt more confident on the apex in the deep stuff than with my rev, but now i live in MT and am looking at buying a new M8.

I have never rode a phazer, but I know our Apex is a great sled especially with the right suspension setup and ski choice. If you are planning on traveling out west a couple times I would get the Apex

Thanks for the input! I'll see what happens this afternoon...

mitchw - welcome to the site

Please add your location to your user profile, it's a site requirement.

rxrider
TY Management

Re: k

quebecmoutainrider said:
GotJuice...dont worry. ;)! .I have a yellow rope on my sled for your new bomb. :tg: .which will be ticking when you ride it...lol..you know it will :die Got a son who wants 2-smoke too..but hes a stupid teen...lol.. :yam:

Don't worry GotJuice sold his apex me so I'll be able to pull his new bomb out when it goes off. Thats how you spell "Ironic" TonyG

Good decision. If Yamaha has not kept up, purchase a product that has.

Here in the east, we are getting fed up with buying a Yamaha, and then a set of new after market skis.

The stock skis are useless.

Enough to make me look at another sled?

Yes, looking at Arctic Cat next.

TonyG - Welcome to the site, please add your location in your user profile, it's a site requirement.

rxrider
TY Management Team

First Ride Review!!!

OK Boys and Girls, here's the inside Scoop on the new Summit 800 Etech AND the new Polaris ProRMK Assault (with Powder Track)!!

I picked-up my new Black Beauty (2011 Summit X 163" 800 Etech) on Tuesday morning before Thanks Giving. Because I Snow Checked her last Spring, I had a choice of Free Electric Start or Free 3 year Warranty, I chose the Waranty because of the new engine and to loose a few more pounds by shedding the battery and the starter. Besides, Ski-Doo gaurantees 'First Pull Starting' on the Etech, which I put to the test early on Thursday (Thanks Giving) morning here in Grand Lake where it was -10F when I started her up for my first ride, and she did not dissapoint, she started first pull, she didn't like it, but she did start-up. After the initial warm-up, there was very little smoke and smell.

We have VERY good early snow here in Grand Lake, CO, so my buddy who ordered a new Assault and I hooked-up for our 'Break-in' ride together. We found some fantasic snow up high (esp for this early in the season) which was about 5 feet deep! Perfect 'Break-in' conditions! The computer on the Summit limits the power on the Etech for about the first 300 miles, but I must say even in limited mode, there's lots of power from the Ski-Doo. In short, this sled in INCREDIBLE! It feels a LOT like my lightened Apex in terms of steering and rolling over in deep snow. But it's lighter, has better traction, and (even in Break-in mode) feels like she has better power. She's simply the best, easiest to ride, deep powder machine I've ever ridden... including the Assault.

We switched sleds about halfway through the day for about 10 mins. The Assault is a great sled, but for the kind of ridding I do (Deep and Trees) there's no comparison to the the Summit. It's harder to roll over and sidehill, not as good of traction (154"), and the power is not as good. I also did not like the footwells and the 'tube' that goes over your foot, it's placement felt awkward to me. I could hardly wait to get back on my sled. Now, this is my personal opinion after ridding both sleds back-to-back. Others my feel differently, and I respect that, but in my mind the Summit is a superior deep snow sled to the Assault in every way. My buddy even addmitted that the Summit was easier to side hill and had better power. We did do a few small Hill Climbs (deep snow, no base) and the Assault actually failed to top my Summit, even though it's labeled a 'Hill Climber', which surprised me a little.

We only rode about 35 miles, but most of it was in deep snow, so it was quite a nice first ride. I have a long way to go before I can comment on the durability and potential long term issues that almost NEVER occur with a Yamaha sled like my Apex, only time will tell. But for now, my new Summit X is a dream come ture. I couldn't be happier with her. I'll keep you Guys and Gals posted. Maverick.

Good luck with your new sled. Hopefully you'll have better luck with your two stroke than i have had with mine.

1st year: Summit 800 H.O (Same bottom end as your new etec.)
- 2 seizures. Had to change both cylinders and pistons - and get the crank balanced as well. This was the faults i had that had something to do with the engine. Those sealed crank bearings need to be greased up with a special grease every 3000 km to avoid destroying the engine - That's just how it is.
I also had to change the stator, chain, primary clutch.. etc. All in on year.

Got sick and tired of getting towed home every ride, so tought i'd try something new. I then went for a Polaris 700. It was a great sled to ride, until it seized up.

Thats when i gave up, and bought a nytro. Rode it for 3000 totally trouble free KMs last season. I now got it Turboed with a 180 MCX turbo kit, and well se how it holds up this season.

Good luck anyways. ;)!

You will love your turbo addiction, have a great season.... trouble free I hope :)

Yeah I hope so. I have replaced all bearings in chaincase / driveshaft / jackshaft and all idler wheels. So I guess it will hold up good for some turboed KMs. Just need some more snow..

If your going to buy a 2-smoke..get a cat...but not the 1000...guys I know say that the 1000 mountain vibrates like a harley..the 8 is much better..tried the m-8 last year...would buy one if they banned 4-strokes..lol..but its the best one I have tried..good luck if you buy BPR.. I think they went toooo light..they should go back to a heavier and stronger sled..but would ...they admit they went toooo light,and the sled suffered..my 2 cents

SXMTX said:
Ski doos eat belts

300 miles, finished with 'Break-in' mode. Not one blown belts so far (knock on wood) and the sled is still INCREDIBLE. Best Mountain sled I've ever ridden! No mods, none needed in my opinion. As a rider, I will never catch-up to the potential of this sled. It's way better than I'll ever be. So far, I'm VERY pleased with my decision to switch. Oh, and except on cold start-up, no smoke or smell either.

Back