• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

So here is another theory. I have not heard of a 2016 having a starter fail. We know that the part numbers for the ecm are different from 2015-2016. If I was going to try a new map I would try on one year vs three

So you think they are testing on the 16's? Maybe. We know the 16 late build has a different starter intermediate gear. So that alone could explain why no 16 lates have failed. Havent heard of a early build failure either. Maybe you are right. Good. Somethings cant be duplicated in anything other than real world mass testing.

You might be correct on the 2016 theory!
cannondale27 - I also have a 2015 Viper LTX that so far has not presented the problem. So I have a back up if it blows again. However based on principal I shouldn't have to buy myself a new ECU or pay $500 for the EVO ECU. Only after 2 repairs, a third that still has major issues AND waiting 10 months of promises that a flash update is coming soon have I said enough is enough. Even the dealer service meeting in Nov the dealers were told a flash is coming soon. Yamaha corporate is BSing there own dealers because they don't have a solution. If they can't fix mine, they should replace it. After the second repair in Dec 10 the sled still kicked backed and started hard during cold starts. The dealer has no solution but was told a solution was near. I literally left the sled at the Dealer for nearly a month in Dec and finally picked up Jan 7th and took it to ride. One start was so bad I had to crank it over and over crossing my fingers for minutes until it finally started. I have been a loyal Yamaha guy who buys new sleds every few years but this is bad business and I'm not staying quiet any longer.

I agree 100% but you need to decide if ride time on that sled is more important than waiting and just do what you can. Dont let this eat you up. Snowmobiling is fun or needs to be made fun.

Don't you worry! Texting can't convey my mood. All good it really is. Heading up Weds to ride for the weekend. One of the things I do is bring a extra Direct Tv remote along when we ride. Fun to change volume and channels at bars as entertainment. Anything to have fun! [emoji1360][emoji16]

MrUpNorth - Yes, I was only giving advise on what can be done because I know Yamaha is not doing anything about it and making owners ticked off. I was not going to settle with my sled starting bad (if at all) and sounding like a huge bag of bolts. I, with a lot of help here have made my sled one of the fastest, most reliable, fun and incredible riding sled I have ever owned. Lots of free info here and lots of small mods that will make your sled fun again. Sorry you are having all these issues...I feel for ya man.

Tell Yamaha to cover the EVO flash and demand it because of your lost riding time with this sled.

I went thru 3 starters and finally bit the bullet and did the EVO reflash and heavier starter cable. Starts great now. It sucks to spend your own money to fix a problem on a new sled but like Cannondale said, you're losing a lot of riding time. And someday it's going to strand you in a very inconvenient place.

I went thru 3 starters and finally bit the bullet and did the EVO reflash and heavier starter cable. Starts great now. It sucks to spend your own money to fix a problem on a new sled but like Cannondale said, you're losing a lot of riding time. And someday it's going to strand you in a very inconvenient place.

I agree with mtotguy, even if Yamaha fixes the starter again, when will it die next? I like to ride alone sometimes, not very often now, but I would go on my own for miles. I can finally trust my Viper with all I have done.

I agree with mtotguy, even if Yamaha fixes the starter again, when will it die next? I like to ride alone sometimes, not very often now, but I would go on my own for miles. I can finally trust my Viper with all I have done.
Just don't start doing catwalk when you are alone you can end up in a real pickle if she flip over again!!:jump:

I agree 100% but you need to decide if ride time on that sled is more important than waiting and just do what you can. Dont let this eat you up. Snowmobiling is fun or needs to be made fun.

Right now my viper xtx is eating me up! I'm questioning selling it at a loss because the reliability of this $15k machine that took 3 yrs of my savings away without being able to afford 3 yrs+ warranty has me questioning what my next issue will be. Will it be the starter? The exhaust blowing out? Another reverse actuator? Mr Up North atleast has warranty for each starter repair/replacement, but out of pocket what's the cost to fix the starter?

Mr Up North I agree that we shouldn't be sinking every dollar of our hard earned money to fix their issues, but the feedback I've been getting is that we should be remortgaging our houses and dealing with it.

Yamaha was known for reliability and that's why every one of mine or my father in laws sleds have been Yamaha. It is why I spent that amount of money on this one. To have a machine I could ride with my young family for decades if I wanted with only minor wear maintenance. When I mention to my wife that I'm considering selling it and I see my 3 yr old's eyes well up with tears because he already LOVES this sport as much as we ALL do....it sure takes the FUN out of it pretty fast!

I'm sorry for the rant, but this machine could potentially take my family and I out of the sport unless I guess we find a decent 340 enticer. My seat time over for now.

Good night Fellas!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    51 KB · Views: 101
I still believe Yamaha will take care of its customers. Even out of warranty for the known issues. Just ride. Take your son with you. Just reached 8000mi on mine. Never been stranded for more than a hr other than crash. Use your head be prepared for the worst but embrace it if it happens. The challenges in life are what we remember the most. A serious breakdown out with my Daughter or in your case your son will be something special and a true adventure. It can and does happen to EVERY machine made.

Reverse Actuator just went first ride since warranty service last season @ 1500kms. Yamaha didn't cover that known issue. While troubleshooting I looked at 1-2" steering slop and improper torque setting which I was told "Yamaha always has steering play" from service manager. 13mm wrench and socket the bottom post needed a full rotation and a half to be tightened. No tech tip, recall, notification or coverage there either. Yamaha told the general manager that they cover everything with one year warranty, but if I didn't pay for additional coverage there's nothing they're gonna do.

I plan on writing Yamaha directly instead of bitching on here to you guys, but I'm glad you have a positive attitude when it comes these adventures. I myself believe that when paying this much you shouldn't have to fight to get known issues fixed with the corporation that made it. When reading these forums you have to take it with a grain of salt, but it doesn't look like I'm the only one regretting the purchase.

Reverse Actuator just went first ride since warranty service last season @ 1500kms. Yamaha didn't cover that known issue. While troubleshooting I looked at 1-2" steering slop and improper torque setting which I was told "Yamaha always has steering play" from service manager. 13mm wrench and socket the bottom post needed a full rotation and a half to be tightened. No tech tip, recall, notification or coverage there either. Yamaha told the general manager that they cover everything with one year warranty, but if I didn't pay for additional coverage there's nothing they're gonna do.

I plan on writing Yamaha directly instead of bitching on here to you guys, but I'm glad you have a positive attitude when it comes these adventures. I myself believe that when paying this much you shouldn't have to fight to get known issues fixed with the corporation that made it. When reading these forums you have to take it with a grain of salt, but it doesn't look like I'm the only one regretting the purchase.

Your problem is the dealer you have. Find one that cares.

it seems yamaha has tried to lighten up these motors so much that parts are getting weaker in strength rather than stronger ? i remember toyota tried that way back in the 80s with my sr5 5speed 4x4 truck using plastic in the transmission sleeves what a rattle i had dumped that thing went back to ford

Back