• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha Poll: What Skis are you running on your Sidewinder?

Part 1: What Skis are you running on your Sidewinder? Part 2: Pick one of the choices if not stock.

• Total voters
Seems strange vs my experience which is much better than yours. [see above]

Have you got the 2018 or 2017 version of the Aggressives? They did update them for 2018.

Toe at 0 ?
according to my dealer they are the latest greatest version I think you were the reason I asked them to be sure they were the new version. they installed them.

Because stock ski's were too unpredictable and others were reporting much better handling with a ski change.

Anyone try the Yamaha mountain ski (or crossover ski as it's referred to on the BTX)?

I just purchased a pair of Kimpex STEALTH skis they look awesome
has anyone tried the STEALTH skis yet on their side winder?

Last edited:
To guys running the Curves...How did you setup your machine? I've got a set here I'm super disappointing with. They steer where you want...BUT HOLY HELL they are hard to turn.

I've only got 600 miles or so on the Curves but as of right now I don't think I will keep em.
Pilot 6.9s with Trackers have a bit more push in slushy snow, but they are wayyyyyyy easier on the arms.

So what did Yamaha do with this information given in this poll on what skis people prefer on their sidewinder sleds?

SR Viper Model: RTX SE
Track Length: 129
Studded: No
Type of Rider: Aggressive trail - Central WI and UP

I gave the Tuners a shot when the sled was new. They worked OK. I got them to handle quite well in most conditions which would likely be good enough for most riders. But I had to run aggressive carbides, and pull up the limiter strap to make that happen. Hard pack conditions they were fine, but loose snow and powder, they were terrible. But switching to the C&A razors with Slim Jim Duallys, I got them to handle just as well (with easy steering) in hard pack conditions. They also performed great in loose snow and powder. In addition, I could do all this will letting the limiter strap back out, which gave me more weight transfer and made the front end more 'playful'.
Hi did you use the XCS C & A skis?

Hi did you use the XCS C & A skis?
I'm running the RZ skis. But I had these left over when I used them on my FX Nytro. So I just got new mounts for them when I got my Viper. If I were to buy new C&A skis, I could have easily chosen the XPT or XCS.

To guys running the Curves...How did you setup your machine? I've got a set here I'm super disappointing with. They steer where you want...BUT HOLY HELL they are hard to turn.

I've only got 600 miles or so on the Curves but as of right now I don't think I will keep em.
Pilot 6.9s with Trackers have a bit more push in slushy snow, but they are wayyyyyyy easier on the arms.
tighten your front skid shock spring up and loosen as you go to get your desired ski pressure and steering. make sure you have about 3'' of rear sag as well. hope this works for you. I run Curve skis with 4" leading edge and 6" shaper bars. No darting or pushing,works great for aggresive trail ridding.

Last edited:
Sidewinder Model: 18 LTX LE
Track Length: 137
Studded:
Yes 96 down the middle
Type of rider: Fairly Aggressive Trail Rider

Never tried the tuners on the Sidewinder or the Viper. Changed skis before either hit snow, read to much about the tuners to trust them on the trail. I replaced the skis on the Winder with Curve and use Bergstrom triple point carbides, on the Viper I replaced the skis with cat skis (or 14 viper skis) with Bergstrom triple point carbides. Both sleds hold there line extremely well and don't dart. Very happy with my set up on both sleds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sidewinder RTX/SE
Studded 3- bar 1.450GD
Aggressive trail
Articat Skies aggressive snowtrakers
Awesome

Back