• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

YAMAHA PREDICTIONS FOR 2013

No prediction here for what Yamaha might have coming in the way of new snowmobiles, but curious if they ever thought of doing away with the rear-exit exhaust?

Something less complicated, and maintenance-free (no "donuts" to replace) would be welcome.

blueironranger said:
I still think they should bring back the SX chassis, toss in cheap shock Mono II, and the phazer engine with front exit exhaust and there is a cheap, fairly light, SOLID entry level sled. quote]

100% on board with this idea blueironranger. Would love to get my kids on 4 strokers but the phazer just looks like too much for them to handle. and too expensive.

new sled

the return of the Srv.

Super comfy normal looking not goofy like Phazer.

Riding position between rx1/Rev not so rider forward.

Good wind protection, unlike Phazer.

80-90Hp Phazer motor with quieter exhaust, direct injection and the Tourqe feel of the old SRV.

Lightweight chassis a 3/4 size vector maybe 520 lb

Black, red/orange stripe

$8200 bucks.

In short a faster better ACE.

Anything less than that equals failure from a market share stand point

A turbo APEX HAHAHAHAHAHA sure sounds cool but it's like a Lamborghini, who's gonna stand in line to shell out $ 17k for sled?

Of course the ACE sells great lots of people out there like the idea of 4 stroke but don't like the outrageous price and weight of many of them.

Lots of folks want to go out for a nice ride on the trails at 35-60 and the ACE will do that all day long.

Sad to say there is an ACE in my future if Yammy doesn't do something, my wife wants one bad

She has a 00 Phazer now does 70-75mph with her on it bullit proof reliable, warm, comfortable enough and was cheap to buy ($3800). We looked at a new Phazer. "NO" was the answer form her as soon as she sat on it. Too high,too cold, fairly loud, hard seat. Never going to happen.

Got Her to sit on ACE at the sled show, couldn't pry her off. Still concerned with cold but at least you can get wind deflectors and a big shield for it.

Super quiet,easy throttle pull,soft seat good MPG tuff for me to say no to that.

I would like to see Yamaha change the rear exit exhaust also. I thought maybe a manifold straight to muffler exiting into the front of the tunnel. Eliminating donuts, weight from steel and ice that builds up. With the holes slotted enough to allow for engine movement even the flex pipes would be eliminated. The other thing I really think Yamaha should do for their 4 strokes is to build a clutch that can take the + 12000 rpms these 4 stroke engines can deliver. They would again make things simpler and get rid of some weight by getting rid of the reducer gears.

Keep in mind that the optimum length for the headers / exhaust system is longer than normal for high reving 4 stroke multi cylinder motors. Look at the 4 stroke motocross bikes that yamaha makes that have a loop in them to increase the length of the header with the rear facing exhaust valve / head system.

ruffryder said:
Keep in mind that the optimum length for the headers / exhaust system is longer than normal for high reving 4 stroke multi cylinder motors. Look at the 4 stroke motocross bikes that yamaha makes that have a loop in them to increase the length of the header with the rear facing exhaust valve / head system.

If anyone could do it would be Yamaha they will figure out how to get the right back pressure for an optimum power output. Smaller exhaust exits holes would be my guess.

Sled Dog said:
If anyone could do it would be Yamaha they will figure out how to get the right back pressure for an optimum power output. Smaller exhaust exits holes would be my guess.
It is not just about the restriction but the tuning of sound waves (pressure) and when they are tuned for the appropriate rpm via reflection of waves.

There is a lot of science that goes into a set of headers...

ruffryder said:
Sled Dog said:
It is not just about the restriction but the tuning of sound waves (pressure) and when they are tuned for the appropriate rpm via reflection of waves.

There is a lot of science that goes into a set of headers...

That's certainly true of a 2 stroke, in fact its vitally important. Less so with a four stroke.

Then why do they charge an arm and a leg for an Akropovic header and muffler on a 4 stroke bike? Like a R1 or Ninja.

Sled Dog said:
Then why do they charge an arm and a leg for an Akropovic header and muffler on a 4 stroke bike? Like a R1 or Ninja.
there is alot more R&D involved in 4 stroke exhaust, because it is much harder to get additional HP out of just exhaust.

HartleRacing said:
ruffryder said:
What is an ACE?
ACE is the new ski doo 60ish HP 4 stroke sled that they unleashed to tailor too the new riders, and the ones that want 30mpg...

Yep, rode one and talked with the owner quite a bit. Power wise it feels JUST like my Phazer II with more torque off the line for a better hole shot. The owner said he was getting 22-24mpg running 40-50mph trail speed which my Phazer MTX gets 20-22mpg under the same conditions. Great entry level trail sled and defiantly more fun than the 550 class Fans. His top speed was 76mph by my speedo which is 70mph gps.

Yamaha could easily drop the gear reduction on the PZ engine and still make 70hp @ a clutch able 8500rpm which would make the engine even more reliable and fuel efficient ALONG with having more power than the 600cc ace engine.

HartleRacing said:
Sled Dog said:
there is alot more R&D involved in 4 stroke exhaust, because it is much harder to get additional HP out of just exhaust.
And because they are titanium goodness and their mufflers flow really well while not being crazy loud. and because they are akro's and they have to be expensive due to the name.

Back