• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha RE-tooling for 2020

No they are not but I do kind of like them and at least they are still serious about snowmobiling.
Why because they add 10 hp every few years? While Yamaha adds 50.
Don't throw in the towel just yet, Yamaha isn't going anywhere and I wouldn't be surprised to see power steering back next year.

I appreciate power steering and the apex made sense. I have ridden Vipers and Sidewinders and if set up properly they steer very light. Way lighter than my nytro ever was. Its almost unnecessary. I would rather see efforts put towards a drain in the chain case and a fill cap. lol.
MS

I would rather see efforts put towards a drain in the chain case and a fill cap. lol.
How about just putting on a set of skis that work with the chassis?

How about just putting on a set of skis that work with the chassis?

And if that's too much - how about a rear axle in the skid that isn't a disaster. I noticed the 19's have gone back to a proper arrangement.

Upgrading skis to c&a's or curves and putting a proper axle in the skid pretty much chews a g-note hear in Canada. Tough to imagine paying the prices for these sleds and still having to drop that on 'necessity' upgrades. I hate to say it but that is where ski doo is light years ahead of the competition -no need for skis and their skid works fine. They make it easy for 'plug and play' riders.
MS

Skidoo is junk period! Most of the guys I ride with are in skidoos. Never seen so many problems with sleds in my life. 850s blowing up, catching fire, side panel latches breaking off etc. I made the mistake of spring ordering an 850 because I thought maybe, just maybe it will be better....nope, oil line popped off spraying oil all over my clutches etc. all within 432kms of riding. The only thing skidoo has going for them is that rear suspension, the rest of the sled is nothing special. And it’s not even that much better than the AC skid. If you guys want to switch, go ahead and switch...but I’m telling you the quality isn’t what you think it is. And the front end is extremely nervous on the 850s. Too light imo.

Yes it would be nice if yamaha would give us skis and maybe a nice suspension package, Polaris has walker Evans...qs3s would also be nice. But like it’s been mentioned, the ltx models are pretty damn good out of the box. I had a 16’ ltx dx and now own an 18’ ltx dx. The only thing it could really use is a set of good skis. I’m going to try the arctic cat single keel skis for next year. I hear they work very good! And I can get a new set at the AC dealer for $250 CAD. So why not?

A proper ski and runner combo with a properly set up procross skid DOESN’T need electronic steering.
A skidoo RAS 3 front end is very twitchy ( rode a 18 xrs 850)Imo the procross front end is a lot better.

Cooper T is 100% correct with his statement.

Skidoo is junk period! Most of the guys I ride with are in skidoos. Never seen so many problems with sleds in my life. 850s blowing up, catching fire, side panel latches breaking off etc. I made the mistake of spring ordering an 850 because I thought maybe, just maybe it will be better....nope, oil line popped off spraying oil all over my clutches etc. all within 432kms of riding. The only thing skidoo has going for them is that rear suspension, the rest of the sled is nothing special. And it’s not even that much better than the AC skid. If you guys want to switch, go ahead and switch...but I’m telling you the quality isn’t what you think it is. And the front end is extremely nervous on the 850s. Too light imo.

Yes it would be nice if yamaha would give us skis and maybe a nice suspension package, Polaris has walker Evans...qs3s would also be nice. But like it’s been mentioned, the ltx models are pretty damn good out of the box. I had a 16’ ltx dx and now own an 18’ ltx dx. The only thing it could really use is a set of good skis. I’m going to try the arctic cat single keel skis for next year. I hear they work very good! And I can get a new set at the AC dealer for $250 CAD. So why not?
Some doo buds rode my sw, and maybe they never had issues with cat, they know it basically is, but they loved it. Hands down...seating position 'like mine' rides as good 'as mine'...steering was 'a little heavier, but very precise' (curves), and engine just 'awesome'. They didn't even realize the trenches they dug as they were accelerating so hard. I've been harder on it than anyone who has ridden it, mainly because of my history of cat (quality) bashing. It's been flawless except for a missing turbo bolt..lol.

Based upon my recent visit to my local dealer, it seems that Yamaha is keeping everyone in the dark about its future in snowmobiling, and there is no hard information out there, even for the dealers you would expect to have some "inside" information. At least he was up-beat about it all, and confident that 2020 will bring an all new Yamaha chassis, complete with at least one new 2-stroke engine. He claimed that there is an 850+ 2-stroke engine already developed and ready to go. Has anyone heard rumors about such an engine, maybe co-developed with AC?

well i can tell you there infamous ctec 600 2 stroke motor was developed by yamaha 5 years ago...:yam:

Maybe off topic, but why are some all hot and bothered for an 850 2-stroke? What specifically is it about that size? Is it just that it's a new shiny object? There have been sizes from 800 to 1100 to 1200 for years now. Is there some magical power to weight ratio at 850? It's kind of funny that Poo named their new 850 the Patriot. I guess Liberty, Freedom, and Chuck Norris were taken.

Based upon my recent visit to my local dealer, it seems that Yamaha is keeping everyone in the dark about its future in snowmobiling, and there is no hard information out there, even for the dealers you would expect to have some "inside" information. At least he was up-beat about it all, and confident that 2020 will bring an all new Yamaha chassis, complete with at least one new 2-stroke engine. He claimed that there is an 850+ 2-stroke engine already developed and ready to go. Has anyone heard rumors about such an engine, maybe co-developed with AC?
Chicken or the egg? Chassis or engine first? Imo there is no Yamaha 850 2s in R&D unless there is a new chassis as well. Yamaha dealers don’t know anything because Yamaha hasn’t told them anything about 2020.

Maybe off topic, but why are some all hot and bothered for an 850 2-stroke? What specifically is it about that size? Is it just that it's a new shiny object? There have been sizes from 800 to 1100 to 1200 for years now. Is there some magical power to weight ratio at 850? It's kind of funny that Poo named their new 850 the Patriot. I guess Liberty, Freedom, and Chuck Norris were taken.
Sure what not go triple 2s and blow 850s away? A triple 2s would run a lot smoother than a Dolly Parton twin.

The redheads did develop a pretty good reputation back in the day.

Back