• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

YAMAHA SAY'S DO NOT STUD RIPSAW!!!

Whatever :roll:

Typical OEM always looking for a way out :p

If you stud it correctly and keep the track properly adjusted as mentioned, you shouldn't have any problems...right :wink:

I suspect that most of the stuff we end up doing to our sleds isn't covered either :lol:

I think a stay in the hospital, or worse, would be more expensive than replacing a track or tunnel, etc...

All-in-all though I'd have to say that the ripsaw is one of the best stock trail tracks I've had on a machine.

I used to stud for better hookup but now I stud strictly for safety.

YAMAHA SAYS??? Yeah OK YAMAHA... :roll: Viper34 if you are reading this I say Too Bad! Tell your employer to get with the FU^%$N program! The majority of people stud for many reasons but I would say that everyone studs for safety on icy conditions. Just build the sled in anticipation that we WILL STUD and keep your "official" stance on your warranty to CYA. If you engineer these things with studding in mind then we shouldn't have a problem anyways..RIGHT! But don't specifically go out of your way to design them so we CANNOT stud because that is just BS :twisted: (ex. Viper)

You have to give credit to Arctic Cat on this subject...they are the only manufacturer who build sleds fully knowing that their customers WILL stud! I even saw Studs for sale in their catalog!

Oh and PS...Yamaha doesn't mind taking our money for tunnel protectors that they sell in their 2004 catalog????

I think we all agree and understand that whan we stud our track's that the track or any thing damaged by the stud's would not be covered by warranty. the difference is yamaha told us the viper S could not be studded but the RX-1 could be studded with no trouble WITH PROPER CARE but my dealer told me yesterday that Yamaha now was taking a different stand . I talked to the rep that i know today,he said that to the best of his knowledge nothing has changed since i talked to him earlier this fall, keep track tight to spec, no longer than 1.325 stud's and you will not have any trouble. He said he was going to check with other sources to se if any thing new has come up. If i hear any thing different i will post it.

I tore off the exhaust heat shield twice last year. First time sled had 50 miles, with 144 studs down the center. Dealer/Yamaha covered the damage, but made it clear it was a one time only deal. I added more studs (192 total) to the outsides of the track at the reps "indirect" suggestion and tore the shield again. My track is at the proper tension, the studs are the proper length.

I've removed the shield completely and will ride it this year "bare naked"....... the exhaust that is... :lol:

1Gunner...would you be so kind as to post that pic you had from last years forum? That is reason enough to keep an eye on that track tension :shock:

I put a RIP SAW in my Blair Morgan REV and all I can say is this track is awesome. I was riding in over 3 feet of snow and this thing NEVEr thought of getting stuck. I know the sled may have something to do with it, but it has more to do with the track. Even at slwo take offs in all that snow it was awesome. great job Yamaha on the track, now lighten up the RX and I will buy another one. Now that I have ridden my REV I am glad I got it and did not miss the RX1 yesterday at all-except when warming up the REV in the shed-that sucked. As I have said before two TOTALLY different sleds and I wish I could have both and have both with me at all times and switch back and forth-but that;s not possible. Good luck to all on their Warriors and RX's this year-I'll be the smily guy on the REV.

RXwonder, I can't find the original shield tear pics from the first time it failed, but this is from the second time in Feb. 03. It shredded at the opposite end of the shield....... :roll:

I do not know what to believe. I feel I need to stud. I have 1.325" Megabites on a 1.25" Ripsaw. Can I or Can't I. Why all of the indecsion. Is there anything about this track that would prohibit studding or is it a clearance issue. Why is there so much disagreement on this topic. I just want to be safer. Also, should I just go up the middle or do the outside belts as well and why. I am going in Monday for the procedure.

Boston RX1 said:
I do not know what to believe. I feel I need to stud. I have 1.325" Megabites on a 1.25" Ripsaw. Can I or Can't I. Why all of the indecsion. Is there anything about this track that would prohibit studding or is it a clearance issue. Why is there so much disagreement on this topic. I just want to be safer. Also, should I just go up the middle or do the outside belts as well and why. I am going in Monday for the procedure.

YES YOU CAN STUD THE TRACK AND YES IT WILL HOLD UP, BUT YOU MUST KEEP THE TRACK PRETTY TIGHT!!! USE 1.325 studs that way it can be a little loose and still wont hit!!

Are we getting threw yet :?:

YES YOU CAN STUD THE TRACK AND YES IT WILL HOLD UP, BUT YOU MUST KEEP THE TRACK PRETTY TIGHT!!! USE 1.325 studs that way it can be a little loose and still wont hit!!

Are we getting threw yet

Boston RX1 Posted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:49 pm

Easy easy lemon squeezy :lol: :lol: [/quote]

Well im sorry... We didnt just start studding sleds yesturday!!

we have been doing it for years and years!!!

Ive got 1.370s in mine and it doesnt hit so if you are running 1.15 and they are hitting you are leaving your track WAY TO LOOSE!!

I've recently studded my 2004 RX1 with 144 woody's 1.325 and had no issues yet. I've only got about 150 miles on it, but I was able to get up to around 105mph without any issues yet.

Back