• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha warranty very questionable - I hope reps are reading

The biggest problem with the 2 strokes is that, yes your buddies were flawless last winter and awesome to ride but if they put anything in the ballpark of 2000-2500 miles on in the season they likely wont make the second winter without having a catastrophic failure. So have a trip ruined over a top sprocket or lose a motor?? Decisions decisions. If doo is overnighting motors that is a new thing they just started or the dealer paid to get it there sooner because every doo Ive had has gone down and noting ever showed up the next day. The sidewinder isnt unreliable. It has flaws like anything else but think of all the winders you meet on the trail on a big day riding. You think every one of those guys has an unreliable sled? People only post on forums when there having issues, rarely does someone post just because they are having a good time. To anyone having issues with a motor in a winder with low mileage and loosing excessive riding time, you need a better dealer, simple as that. Any good stand up dealer would have given you a new sled and dealed with yamaha after with getting the used sled repaired. They may lose out on paper a bit at the end of things but a smart dealer knows he gains future sales and word of mouth travels fast. It more than it pays for itself. My neighbor bought a new kioti tractor back in 2012. With 50 hrs on the clock it was blowing smoke and running like crap. He took it in and they determined there was a bad cylinder. It is a big project to replace engine and there was a big delay in getting the replacement engine so the dealer delivered him a new tractor and kept his slightly used one. Guess where my neighbor goes everytime he needs a new attachment for that tractor. Guess where I went when I purchased my tractor. A guy about 100 miles south of me posted on facebook that he was having coolant issues with his sidewinder. Lost all winter because of incompetent dealer and mechanic. Got the sled back with problem still there, belt so tight it was screeching at idle and chaincase oil level so low he had to tip it on right side for it to show on the glass. This isnt yamaha causing this, this is a dealership who has a guy who cant set belt deflection doing engine work. Im not saying yamaha is the best to deal with for these dealers but a good dealer will make things right for you and help out anyway he can. My sled is tuned so if it goes down I do not expect yamaha to help, but I wont screw around all winter waiting for parts and all the labor to get it fixed either. Its available new complete for $4200 online. This isnt "cheap" but I also have a price tag on my winter time.

I drove the 20.5 XRS and it has the power/pull we like up to about 70mph. I was very impressed, thinking it would be a slug compared to 300hp apex and 280hp winder. I did 300 miles and it was a very fun sled, I had no real negative comments. It isn't the holy grail by any means but its amazingly capable out of the box. The nice thing is that when they blow (which is more rare on a volume/unit basis) they send a motor overnight and have you back on the trail in less then 3 days. The winder sitting in the shop for 9 months waiting on Yamaha/Cat parts is extremely frustrating. I get it all, I used to be a loyalist, however now I will pay attention to what other manufacturers are doing and when its not running how they respond and handle the warranty issues. I watched two Doo 850s come in, one with a split case with less then 500 miles, all stock clearly a defect. The one day I was there they pulled it out and sent pictures to Doo, the next day a new motor showed up in a crate. The 3rd day it was out the door. I'm no longer scared of a 2 stroke "blowing" up, its no different then a winder overheating, busting suspension, or any of the other issues in the Master Issues list I created. They all ruin a trip, its how fast you can get it back and go again that is now more important. I'm going back to building a boosted apex because it lasts for the winter and if it does break I can fix it myself usually quickly. I'm only doing that because I want a high 300hp crazy sled that tries to kill me, if you care more about fun and less about speed I can see why the Doos are popular.
I think most dealers keep an engine on the parts shelf - in stock.
For me it isn't about how fast I would get the machine back. It is about a ruined trip or ride.
Sure, that can happen with other issues of the Winder, but I've never blown up a four stroke engine, even after adding copious amounts of power.

Very, very well stated Winterwolf. It's not too much to expect a product to work as advertised. I do like to tinker with my outboard engines, boats, tractors...but when a company is going to warranty their product then it's hands off or there is the potential to void the warranty. I'm really not familiar with sleds as you can tell..I have always used my brothers sleds or rented them so there's been no need to work on them...
To Kingers point on availability of parts...clearly if this is the way Ski Doo has its parts ready to fly out the door then it's a great selling point...

The biggest problem with the 2 strokes is that, yes your buddies were flawless last winter and awesome to ride but if they put anything in the ballpark of 2000-2500 miles on in the season they likely wont make the second winter without having a catastrophic failure. So have a trip ruined over a top sprocket or lose a motor?? Decisions decisions. If doo is overnighting motors that is a new thing they just started or the dealer paid to get it there sooner because every doo Ive had has gone down and noting ever showed up the next day. The sidewinder isnt unreliable. It has flaws like anything else but think of all the winders you meet on the trail on a big day riding. You think every one of those guys has an unreliable sled? People only post on forums when there having issues, rarely does someone post just because they are having a good time. To anyone having issues with a motor in a winder with low mileage and loosing excessive riding time, you need a better dealer, simple as that. Any good stand up dealer would have given you a new sled and dealed with yamaha after with getting the used sled repaired. They may lose out on paper a bit at the end of things but a smart dealer knows he gains future sales and word of mouth travels fast. It more than it pays for itself. My neighbor bought a new kioti tractor back in 2012. With 50 hrs on the clock it was blowing smoke and running like crap. He took it in and they determined there was a bad cylinder. It is a big project to replace engine and there was a big delay in getting the replacement engine so the dealer delivered him a new tractor and kept his slightly used one. Guess where my neighbor goes everytime he needs a new attachment for that tractor. Guess where I went when I purchased my tractor. A guy about 100 miles south of me posted on facebook that he was having coolant issues with his sidewinder. Lost all winter because of incompetent dealer and mechanic. Got the sled back with problem still there, belt so tight it was screeching at idle and chaincase oil level so low he had to tip it on right side for it to show on the glass. This isnt yamaha causing this, this is a dealership who has a guy who cant set belt deflection doing engine work. Im not saying yamaha is the best to deal with for these dealers but a good dealer will make things right for you and help out anyway he can. My sled is tuned so if it goes down I do not expect yamaha to help, but I wont screw around all winter waiting for parts and all the labor to get it fixed either. Its available new complete for $4200 online. This isnt "cheap" but I also have a price tag on my winter time.

Lots of this is true. And some very good points. The two dealers I've dealt with we’re Superb!

But what is wrong, is that my buddies have 17’s and 18’s (850’s)with 5000 plus and 8000 plus..and one friend has 12,000 miles Plus with no issues at all. Sure some motors blow for sure, but there are a lot out there that have many miles with no issues.

As I said, all brands have their gremlins to a degree. Ski doos build quality is second to none now and they’re making a very good product. So is Polaris.

Winders are great. Motor is absolutely incredible...I loved mine, but the little things were adding up and taking away from the joy and overall experience in my particular case. And I didn’t have many miles on mine at all. I know that’s not everybody’s take, but it was mine.

Certainly Not saying that Doo and the 850 is better in any way. Just different., And that Ski Doo is making a very nice product/sled. Time will tell if I get a good one and have a good experience? It is time for a try and a change in my case. That’s all I’m saying.

Still a big fan of the turbo motor on the Winder and think it’s incredibly impressive to say the least. And I love this site...and will be checking in here with all
You fine people. If that’s ok with folks?

In an effort to keep this thread from going down the same path other threads have fallen trap to, I offer these few sentences.

They are all great when they run and they all suck when they don't.
If you cant work on your own sled, find a dealer( mechanic) you trust and do business with them, travel or not, winter is to short to wait. But keep an open mind and ears!!
Maintain your ride.
Do your research!!
If you do modify your sled, and it breaks, its on you.
If you can, test drive ALL brands and make up your OWN mind, don't just follow the heard.
This same conversation takes place on the boards of other brands, believe it.
Ride whatever you want, who cares as long as you ride and support the sport.
If you want to buy another brand, go ahead, I don't need to know why.

T My sled is tuned so if it goes down I do not expect yamaha to help, but I wont screw around all winter waiting for parts and all the labor to get it fixed either. Its available new complete for $4200 online. This isnt "cheap" but I also have a price tag on my winter time.

I was going to do the same thing out of pocket because I was so desperate to get sled back on trail. Ordered it even online from country cat in Feb asking for overnight shipping, got a call it was on backorder until July LOL. They refunded me. Nothing was done and dealer ordered up every single part of the engine and assembled it at a cost to Yamaha of over $6k. That is half of my purchase price so now I care because its chewing up my YES warranty which only covers up to the purchase price. If my winder fails again this winter I will likely be left with a boat anchor where Yamaha will be done covering it as it met the purchase price and I have 3 years left on Y.E.S.

STAIN - I'm sharing my experience here with others just like the OP. I hope is valuable but if it conflicts with your views I can certainly stop. I'm trying real hard to keep it factual and not sensationalized.

Last edited:
In an effort to keep this thread from going down the same path other threads have fallen trap to, I offer these few sentences.

They are all great when they run and they all suck when they don't.
If you cant work on your own sled, find a dealer( mechanic) you trust and do business with them, travel or not, winter is to short to wait. But keep an open mind and ears!!
Maintain your ride.
Do your research!!
If you do modify your sled, and it breaks, its on you.
If you can, test drive ALL brands and make up your OWN mind, don't just follow the heard.
This same conversation takes place on the boards of other brands, believe it.
Ride whatever you want, who cares as long as you ride and support the sport.
If you want to buy another brand, go ahead, I don't need to know why.
This. Been sledding for a while, and put on more miles a year than most. Do 2 big trips in Quebec each year with 10 guys. 10 years ago, the Doo's were breaking down left and right. Usually electrical problems. Yamaha's never broke down. Now, the Doo's are very reliable. Haven't had a Doo break down in the last 3 years except this year when a clutch crapped out. But that was do to a lack of maintenance, not a design flaw. Having said that, I admit, I am brand loyal to Yamaha, and go out of my way to make sure my Winder is 100% ready to go at all times. I had my Apex for years before the winder, and can tell you the overall prep and fixing stuff time wise is the same. The issue is that the stuff that broke on the Apex would not leave you stranded like the winder can. If you're in the middle of nowhere in Quebec, you better be damn sure your sled is ready to go the long haul, or you're in deep crap. If you can't do it yourself, I would not rely on a dealer to make it 100% bullet proof, if there is such a thing.

STAIN - I'm sharing my experience here with others just like the OP. I hope is valuable but if it conflicts with your views I can certainly stop.
Not conflicting with my views. I am just on the outside looking in an can offer a different, unbiased third party perspective.

Everyone on this site makes very good comments..all helpful. I do need to learn more about these sled and have been watching Rockerdans video's. When I get my sled back it will go on the stand and will take the time to look at the systems that make it work...but will have a dealer work on it till the warranty is up.
I spoke with Yamaha today, I believe they are going to make an effort to get my sled fixed or said that they will.

The sidewinder isnt unreliable. It has flaws like anything else but.......
To anyone having issues with a motor in a winder with low mileage and loosing excessive riding time, you need a better dealer, simple as that. Any good stand up dealer would have given you a new sled and dealed with yamaha after with getting the used sled repaired.

Your in dream land, get real. Name one person who has ever been given a new sled for warranty? Even back when Yamaha had a good warranty that has never happened to my knowledge.

The definition of unreliable IS
“Having many issues” some things in life have many flaws, others have less, some are major some are minor. There’s a threshold of tolerance that’s different for many folks. It would be nice too see blow your motor and have your SUPER DEALER leave you hanging, mostly due to the fact yamaha doesn’t even have replacement motors, that’s a Yamaha “thing”

Put yourself in Kingers shoes

Yamaha, like many other larger corporations, has made large warranty claims more difficult to get approval. Parts availability and lower warranty labor cost too dealers all are reasons why sleds are not getting fixed in a timely fashion.

You as a consumer making excuses and sticking up for this kind of behavior from corporations is foolish. Expect more for your money, You earned it...... well maybe not.

Joe, have they looked for a hairline crack or a pours casting, being a Tech since the early 70s have seen this before and even burned by it once or twice.

Joe, have they looked for a hairline crack or a pours casting, being a Tech since the early 70s have seen this before and even burned by it once or twice.
agreed, I saw a super expensive set of polaris wheels with air coming through the rim. dealer argued and argued until shown with soap, so they never held air from factory with tires installed and sitting on shelf, no one cared, all the way from the dealer to the manufacturer. screw the customer... could have been sealed with a dab of jb weld, but cost them a wheel in the end. no way you have gotten multiple bad covers. they just dont care......

going to call dealer now and suggest they look or dye for hairline crack and the process others have mentioned on this thread...thanks for the advise. Joe

suggested the hairline crack..they already checked for it...they have done everything suggested...it's a mystery for sure.

Back