• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

YAMAHEATER Nice Warm Hands for 03 - Current Yamaha 4 Strokes

I have an 07 Apex GT and I am 53yrs old. The guy I bought it from put 06 handle bars on for the heat. Kept them when I purchased it. I installed the Yamaheaters late last season. I think sledding was over by then. I felt the 07 handle bars just wasn't enough. Wasn't sure if it was because the newer sleds just don't give us much wind protection as the older ones did. My fellow rider has a 06 Apex GT and yes his bars were warmer. He too installed the Yamaheater and at idle you can just about burn your hands within a minute or two. Mine were luke warm but definitely a big improvement. I guess my complaint with the stock heaters is you take off riding with cold bars and it takes too long to warm up and I needed to stop several times just to shake off the cold finger tips. Not so now the the new heaters. I since added the booster and I now get hot grips within minutes but still not as not as my buddies 06. I now find my hands almost too hot at the start of a ride and have to bring them down ASAP to one to two bars. My grips are now what I think they should have been all along and thank you for the product. You helped my ride time much more pleasant. I used to not look forward to the sub zero temps that seemed to sneak up on us from time to time, but we rode in it. Now, bring it on.

What settings do you find you run at the most?

10 degrees I am using 1, 2 or 3 bars depending on speed.

If you have ridden when it was sub-zero F, did they keep up easily & where did you have the bars set to?

I have ridden with the Yamaheaters at 15 below and definitely better than stock but did run pretty much full bars and did need to tightly hold the grips to get the heat I wanted.

Where you able to run some high speed trails where your hands would normally get cold without your YamaHeater/Booster, what setting did you use?

Ran at higher speeds at 10 below and the heat I now get with the booster is great even with damp gloves from riding all day. I use to switch to dry gloves early evening but now it seems I don't really need to.

Did your hands stay nice & warm at high speed using your YamaHeater/Booster?

With the booster I now can make my grips darn hot, so hot I hold my hand out from the bars now and again to cool them off. I like the heat to help my finger tips. My thumb warmer is usually set slightly more than half, little more in sub zero temps.

Hope this helps.

Faster?

lockeyone said:
I have an 07 Apex GT and I am 53yrs old. The guy I bought it from put 06 handle bars on for the heat. Kept them when I purchased it. I installed the Yamaheaters late last season. I think sledding was over by then. I felt the 07 handle bars just wasn't enough. Wasn't sure if it was because the newer sleds just don't give us much wind protection as the older ones did. My fellow rider has a 06 Apex GT and yes his bars were warmer. He too installed the Yamaheater and at idle you can just about burn your hands within a minute or two. Mine were luke warm but definitely a big improvement. I guess my complaint with the stock heaters is you take off riding with cold bars and it takes too long to warm up and I needed to stop several times just to shake off the cold finger tips. Not so now the the new heaters. I since added the booster and I now get hot grips within minutes but still not as not as my buddies 06. I now find my hands almost too hot at the start of a ride and have to bring them down ASAP to one to two bars. My grips are now what I think they should have been all along and thank you for the product. You helped my ride time much more pleasant. I used to not look forward to the sub zero temps that seemed to sneak up on us from time to time, but we rode in it. Now, bring it on.

What settings do you find you run at the most?

10 degrees I am using 1, 2 or 3 bars depending on speed.

If you have ridden when it was sub-zero F, did they keep up easily & where did you have the bars set to?

I have ridden with the Yamaheaters at 15 below and definitely better than stock but did run pretty much full bars and did need to tightly hold the grips to get the heat I wanted.

Where you able to run some high speed trails where your hands would normally get cold without your YamaHeater/Booster, what setting did you use?

Ran at higher speeds at 10 below and the heat I now get with the booster is great even with damp gloves from riding all day. I use to switch to dry gloves early evening but now it seems I don't really need to.

Did your hands stay nice & warm at high speed using your YamaHeater/Booster?

With the booster I now can make my grips darn hot, so hot I hold my hand out from the bars now and again to cool them off. I like the heat to help my finger tips. My thumb warmer is usually set slightly more than half, little more in sub zero temps.

Hope this helps.

Hopefully they won't make you go faster!
:jump:

Rock
A question. I understand somewhat about the stator and how it works.
But doesn't the battery supply all the voltage for running and the stator just maintains the battery levels? So wouldn't the battery cushion the effect of current draw. Something like a Degas bottle in a car? Please read on.
So my thought is running the Yamaheater and or booster will just take from the battery. The charge system must sense this and try to recharge the battery to peak level.
If the sled sits in cold weather for a couple of weeks isn't there a loss of level in the battery and the stator has to charge it back while riding? Also starting on a very cold morning must drop the battery level and the stator will work hard to get it back.
Wouldn't this be similar to the Yamaheaters effect on the battery while riding?
If the Yamaheater and booster is left on all day I could understand how it might damage the stator if it has to charge all day long trying to keep the battery up. But infrequent useage of the Yamaheater must be like having the battery down some during idle times and having to be charged back up thus not hurting the stator at all as it designed to do this.
So I would think running it just to get the hands warm again after a stop,etc. wouldn't hurt it at all. But running it all day long might be were the chargeing system would be taxed.

Heyya Capt!

Damn dude...
Gonna tax my brain so early in the am and am trying to get in my car and headed north to ride! lol
Like the depth you think things through! :Rockon:

The way you are looking at it, you are correct. :drink:
Yes, the battery supplies short term loads. (Starting, quick peak loads, etc.)

However, ALL the energy, including what you use from the battery, comes from the stator.

Like you mentioned, using the YamaHeater at idle even if the stator can't quite keep up at idle, won't hurt a thing, mainly because your sled will only idle so long and the stator won't get very warm.
As soon as you get moving, the stator replaces what you used & no problem.
(Much like your car does at a stop light.)

The real risk to your stator is heat.
Short term loads, even some large ones, don't usually build up enough heat up to do damage.
(Lots of heat build-up risks burning off the thin varnish insulation on the wire windings causing permanent damage.)

As a general rule, you don't want to overload the stator over a longer time period and build-up a bunch of heat that causes damage.
That is why some of the mods I have seen are a serious risk, either the short term peak loads are huge, or they consistently run the stator in overload, both of which are not good for it.

Your assessment of what possibly could hurt the stator is correct.
Running it all day seriously taxed can definitely cause damage.

That is part of why I am gathering as much info as possible from everyone.
Working to make sure everyone is warm enough without undue risk to our sleds.

My concern really isn't the average sled, it is the lower spec ones.
The ones where the stator/magneto/charging system is right at the bottom end of spec, or even below it.

Simply put, we want to make sure your hands are warm enough in the coldest weather, while minimizing the on-going current load on the stator giving your charging system maximum life. ;)!

My job is to provide just that.
Most guys don't want to have to think about the stator, etc, most simply want to ride comfortably.

I post alot, to gather info & to help keep everyone informed.
(Don't mean to alarm anyone with some of the info, just want to make sure everyone is informed as needed.)

Rock :-o

Thanks for the clarification on our charging system.

I switched back and forth with my wifes sled today and her stock 03 VMax 600ER's grips were on high (she loves hot hands ) and was literally burning my hands. When I got back on mine and left the Yamaheater with (no booster) on for the rest of the day it never got as hot as hers. Will the booster take me there? will the Attaks grips take that kind of heat? I burnt my hands on her sled for sure. I couldn't believe it.

Hey Rock, I just wanted to let everyone know. After installing the Booster to my Nytro Yamaheater and getting to ride in below zero temps this weekend, all I can say is ouch! The longer I let my sled warm up before I took off, the hotter the grips got. In fact, they got so hot you couldn't touch them without gloves! Awesome! Thanks again for the great product! Great Customer Service and just being a Great Guy!
Thank You, Thank You! From Both Mike and Michele! She loves her Phazer because of you!
md

CaptCaper said:
Thanks for the clarification on our charging system.

I switched back and forth with my wifes sled today and her stock 03 VMax 600ER's grips were on high (she loves hot hands ) and was literally burning my hands. When I got back on mine and left the Yamaheater with (no booster) on for the rest of the day it never got as hot as hers. Will the booster take me there? will the Attaks grips take that kind of heat? I burnt my hands on her sled for sure. I couldn't believe it.

The Vmax enjoys a large reserve in the charging system, that really helps with the available heat. :drink:

Yes, the Booster can get you there, just use it as needed, with a little common sense thrown in & you will really like it! ;)!

Rock :-o

woodydog said:
Hey Rock, I just wanted to let everyone know. After installing the Booster to my Nytro Yamaheater and getting to ride in below zero temps this weekend, all I can say is ouch! The longer I let my sled warm up before I took off, the hotter the grips got. In fact, they got so hot you couldn't touch them without gloves! Awesome! Thanks again for the great product! Great Customer Service and just being a Great Guy!
Thank You, Thank You! From Both Mike and Michele! She loves her Phazer because of you!
md

Really glad you like! :drink:

Thank you for the compliment & the feedback, makes it all worthwhile! :Rockon:

Rock

2010 XTX , You would think Yamaha could get it right.

Added Yamaheater with boost and finally no more cold hands.

Just ok with stock heat for -10 , but freeze after -15.

Thanks Rock.

Finaly got a real cold night to test out my new yamaheater. After having it on full power for about a min. of riding, i had to turn it down. What a great investment! made my riding experience so much more enjoyable. Thanks Rock!

Of the hundreds of dollars I've spent on mods for this sled the Yamaheater w/boost is one of the tops. No more warmer hands with exhaust or putting hot-hand packets in my gloves. Thanks Rock.
BTW - rode in single digit weather and needed to turn boost off and go with normal Yamaheater...Hot Hot

Rock
I installed the booster today. I have a question. If I flip the YamaHeater switch to OFF does that shut down the Booster too? And revert back to original OEM funtions?

CaptCaper said:
Rock
I installed the booster today. I have a question. If I flip the YamaHeater switch to OFF does that shut down the Booster too? And revert back to original OEM funtions?

Today, I just experienced what you are asking. Due to the mild weather, I wanted to turn off my hand warmers altogether and so flipped the switch to off and adjusted the stock warmers to off on the gage. I noticed that the grips got hot again and I assume that the booster bypasses the Yamaheater's on/off switch.

Rock, can you clarify?

I have the same prob. My hands got hot for the first time so I turned the switch off and the grips still stayed hot. I tried switching the grips off with the light green and red (when the yamaheater and boost is on ) and they did not turn off.

Back