• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ZX2 boken bolt

I can't complain about support--every time I call they call right back and try to help. As for the bolt it seems that maybe 1 bolt didn't get enough loc-tite? Heck Polaris has been losing bolts out of the M-10 for years!!

I can't complain about support either. I emailed Jeff with the problem I had and a picture, and he emailed me back the next morning asking me if I needed any parts.

:yam: :4STroke: :rocks:

My last Arctic Cat was also loosing skid bolts on 3 different cross shafts. To fix the AC bolt problem I had to make new threads in the shafts and go from the stock 8 mm x 20 mm AC bolts to 10 mm x 35 mm metric threaded bolts and lots of locktite to fix it.

I can see why Yamaha uses UNC threaded bolts, I have never had one of those bolts come loose on any of my recent Yamaha sleds.

I hope my ZX-2 will not encounter this problem, I will keep a close eye on that particular bolt.

I had both the front and rear lower bolt shear off on the right side. I had them replaced by a Yamaha dealer since I noticed the missing bolts as I was to take the sled off of the trailer for a ride. (Not cheap)Luckily I was at a dealed. Last saturday, one week later and 600 km later, the lower rear bolt sheared off again. I checkenthe bolts periodically durin the day and did not notice that it had backed off. Somthing fishy here.

I checked the side that was OK and noticed that there were no washers. This came assembled in the box. I have extrated the stud and will replace it with a harder bolt and install washere ae shown on the parts diagram. I also noticed a grey substance on the bolt on the left side, not red loctite.

This is an interesting topic - I am considering this suspension next year if I keep my RTX. I think what your seeing is first year blues....but something that can/will easily be remedied. I think the idea of opposite threaded bolts would work best.

This is not looking any good at all. Please post, all of you that encounter this bolt shearing problem.

I would guess that bolts are becoming loose THEN shearing. I don't believe the bolts are breaking by them selvs. That said I have retorqued my skid after every ride and just removed and loc-tited ft bolt.

Grimm said:
Shane, on the extracted broken bolt, was there loctite on it?

Grimm,

The bolt was sheared off way down near the bottom. I actually did not see it as the machinist removed it for me. Interestingly enough, the bolt on the other side showed absolutely no signs of wear. I was surprised seeing that it was under all that stress.

Shane

Picksoo said:
Aknowledge what side the bolts are shearing on. It seems to be on the right side. Is this correct??????

Affirmative.

Shane said:
Was in Canada this weekend and EXACTLY the same thing happened to me. Bolt backed out and sheered off. Was lucky enough to get it back to the hotel and extract the broken piece and replace with a temporary bolt.

Hey,

I thought you couldn't go to Canada this past weekend. It was pretty sweet except was getting pretty choppy on Saturday night.

Wayne

kinger said:
How many miles on the skid is this happening?

I was hoping to just beat this thing and finally have one thing to not worry about!

For me, I noticed the bolt missing after SnoWarrior brought attention to it. I had about 800km on it.

I too felt that I wouldn't have to worry about it, but now I find myself checking the suspension each time I stop out on the trails.

The ZX2 may be a great riding suspension, but it remains to be seen if it is durable. That takes time.

ZX2 broken bolt life cycle

Installed new suspension 15,010 km,
First set of bolts sheared 16,548 (1,538 k) upper & Lower right side
Lower bolt sheared 17,767 (1,219 k) lower right side
Seems that the life of a bolt is app 1200k so far.

I plan to install a harder bolt and washers. My washers seem to have been missing.

Back