• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ZX2 boken bolt

Just read the service bulletin this morning;
So I stop and get some brake cleaner & 271 Loctite lunch hour today only to find out when I got home that I'm to late. Missing hardware on revolver.
Going to check all other parts, washers etc before calling for replacement parts.

My plan was to go right to step 3 of bulletin; Remove/clean/loctite/re-torque, If you want my opinion I would recommend everybody do the same.

thegrizzly1 said:
...edit...
I forget which thread I saw this on, but as an engineer I might be able to shed a little light on the bolt strength issue. I realize that we are talking metric grade bolts, but the analogy is the same for SAE hardware. A grade 8 bolt is stronger in tension and is harder than a grade 5 bolt, however; it is also harder and more brittle. A grade 5 bolt is in fact stronger in shear because it will deform slightly before is shears off. A grade 8 will usually form a hairline crack and break right off. I completely agree that the bolts are backing off and then shearing, but moving to grade 8 hardware will not solve your problem if the bolts continue to back out. ... edit...

I'm going to have to disagree with you here. Please take a look at these two articles expounding the benefits of using Gr8 over Gr5.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavist ... signed.pdf - Excellent article for backyard mechanics!

http://www.rockcrawler.com/techreports/ ... /index.asp

Grade 8.8 Metric is equivalent to Grade 5 SAE. Grade 10.9 Metric is equivalent to Grade 8 SAE.

Aaron

Locktite the heck out of it, it should stay in there. If not it is time to take the shafts out and go up in bolt length, or maybe go up in bolt size and go with UNC threading like on the ProAction skids. The UNC bolts did never untread themselves nor did they break.

Back