• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

07' FX chain case leak????

Gone Blue

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
08' Nytro RTX 40th Anniversary - Stretched
I helped my friend michdog2011 buy his first Yamaha this summer which was an 07' FX with less than a 1,000 miles on it. He bought this from another friend of mine. Actually I helped my other friend buy this FX last year when it had 350 miles on it. Anyways, it is a low mileage, garaged stored all of its life, clean FX.

michdog2011 and I did a track stretch and swap this summer and some other mods. Running the sled after the track swap on the lift, the sled leaks chain case lube after it sits for a while. And I have to say, it leaks pretty good. I can tell you that it is not leaking from the lower drive shaft seal and it is not leaking from the chain case cover. It appears to be leaking from either the secondary upper seal or possibly from the little cup thingy located right above the chain tensioner pivot. The gear lube runs down the front side of the heat exchanger which is on the right in the first picture. The one picture below was taken from under the motor looking up. You can see large drops of purple chain case lube. The second picture is the cup thingy I mentioned above that we don't know what it is or does.

In either case, we didn't remove either of these components for the track swap and the sled didn't seem to leak chain case lube last season when my first friend put some 600 miles on it.

We filled the chain case with Royal Purple synthetic W75 - 90 gear lube and don't know if it is too thick and that is why it is leaking??

Any help figuring out this leak would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, G.B.

Attachments

• Bob 2.JPG
    Bob 2.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,093
  • Bob.JPG
    Bob.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 1,458
  • Bob 1.JPG
    Bob 1.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 1,153

Did you move the reverse at all? That little cup feeds oil to the reverse gear box.

yamahas said:
Did you move the reverse at all? That little cup feeds oil to the reverse gear box.

Yamahas, we did not touch the reverse gear assembly with the track swap if that is what your asking.

Thanks, G.B.

Gone Blue said:
I helped my friend Snowdog buy his first Yamaha this summer which was an 07' FX with less than a 1,000 miles on it. He bought this from another friend of mine. Actually I helped my other friend buy this FX last year when it had 350 miles on it. Anyways, it is a low mileage, garaged stored all of its life, clean FX.

Snowdog and I did a track stretch and swap this summer and some other mods. Running the sled after the track swap on the lift, the sled leaks chain case lube after it sits for a while. And I have to say, it leaks pretty good. I can tell you that it is not leaking from the lower drive shaft seal and it is not leaking from the chain case cover. It appears to be leaking from either the secondary upper seal or possibly from the little cup thingy located right above the chain tensioner pivot. The gear lube runs down the front side of the heat exchanger which is on the right in the first picture. The one picture below was taken from under the motor looking up. You can see large drops of purple chain case lube. The second picture is the cup thingy I mentioned above that we don't know what it is or does.

In either case, we didn't remove either of these components for the track swap and the sled didn't seem to leak chain case lube last season when my first friend put some 600 miles on it.

We filled the chain case with Royal Purple synthetic W75 - 90 gear lube and don't know if it is too thick and that is why it is leaking??

Thanks, G.B.
This has been discussed on the forum, so even if you did not remove the reverse it will still leak on the 07. its an alignment issue with a little rubber oil tube feeder, i'm trying to find the info for you by using the search feature.....

chad450r said:
Gone Blue said:
I helped my friend Snowdog buy his first Yamaha this summer which was an 07' FX with less than a 1,000 miles on it. He bought this from another friend of mine. Actually I helped my other friend buy this FX last year when it had 350 miles on it. Anyways, it is a low mileage, garaged stored all of its life, clean FX.

Snowdog and I did a track stretch and swap this summer and some other mods. Running the sled after the track swap on the lift, the sled leaks chain case lube after it sits for a while. And I have to say, it leaks pretty good. I can tell you that it is not leaking from the lower drive shaft seal and it is not leaking from the chain case cover. It appears to be leaking from either the secondary upper seal or possibly from the little cup thingy located right above the chain tensioner pivot. The gear lube runs down the front side of the heat exchanger which is on the right in the first picture. The one picture below was taken from under the motor looking up. You can see large drops of purple chain case lube. The second picture is the cup thingy I mentioned above that we don't know what it is or does.

Thanks, G.B.
This has been discussed on the forum, so even if you did not remove the reverse it will still leak on the 07. its an alignment issue with a little rubber oil tube feeder, i'm trying to find the info for you by using the search feature.....

If its only on the 07s then its should have a fix for the later years, right?

I am not any help here since I dont have reverse. I do remember this issue coming up in the past. Will search for answers,

chad450r is correct, this is an alignment issue with the feed line & grommet to the reverse. i had this corrected on mine.

mrsled, i do believe this was fixed on 08+ sleds by incorporating a dowel pin to keep the cases aligned to prevent the grommet getting outta wack, if i recall the yamaha parts/salesman saying when i asked.

xt_gt said:
chad450r is correct, this is an alignment issue with the feed line & grommet to the reverse. i had this corrected on mine.

mrsled, i do believe this was fixed on 08+ sleds by incorporating a dowel pin to keep the cases aligned to prevent the grommet getting outta wack, if i recall the yamaha parts/salesman saying when i asked.

So you would need new case to get it right?

Maybe if you can get it aligned correctly a dowel pin can be drilled and inserted so it doesnt happen again?

Here. O-ring.

Mooseman
Life Time Member
Life Time Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:59 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Delete this post View IP address of poster
Mooseman wrote:
My reverse gear box is still FUBAR. I moved the shift arm that is mounted on the shaft of the servo (a) more towards the forward position (the left most within the range in the top image), which put more pressure onto the fork using the spring in the servo. Although it did work for about 10Km or so, it started skipping/grinding again. Also, reverse would not engage so I guess it was too far. I looked again using a boroscope inside the gear box and the "dog gears" (#11 & 6 in the exploded view) were damaged and worn in a taper.

The servo motors both worked and both had the same position of the shift arm when in forward. so it wasn't an issue with it. My only option now is to replace the gear box. I will perform an autopsy on the old one.

I replaced the reverse gear box and all is working well. One issue I had was with getting the servo motor working correctly. The new one was damaged with my little experiment so the old one went back in. Then, the o-ring was broken (again). Not wanting to wait 3 days for a replacement, I just instant-glued the ends together since it doesn't hold any pressure, just keeps oil from seeping out the top. Then, it wasn't lined up properly with the shift fork and forward wouldn't even work. Then, the last time I put in back in, I tested the engagement by actuating it according to marpolsdofer's method and verifying via the switches that it was fully engaging, it now works flawlessly. Most of the time, we don't even need to move or anything, it just works.

So, what I learned from this is to make sure that the servo motor arm is properly engaged in the slot in the shift fork when re-installing it.

For the failed gear, I will perform the autopsy at a later date under a new thread.

Awesome, thanks for all for your input and suggestions. We will look at the o-ring and reverse gear filler tube to see what is going on with it. It would seem that this is the issue as I cannot believe that the upper secondary or reverse gear seals are bad on this sled with just under 1,000 miles on it.

Thanks again for all of your help!

G.B.

Dont thank us yet! I did PM Mooseman to look at this. I believe he is on a trip so looking forward to his response. I believe he has most experience with the reverse. Hope you find it.

The o-ring I was referencing in that post was the servo motor to reverse gear box seal and that sits on top of the box. Unless you have the sled upside down, it won't leak a whole lot.

Now you're saying it's leaking while sitting. I can't tell from the first photo where that is, I'd need to see the same spot further back so I can find a better point of reference. Right now, I'm thinking a bad case seal, a cracked lower frame (which forms part of the case and I've seen two with cracks) or something got behind the cover while you were installing it (like a wire). If the leak is higher up, could be the reverse gear to chaincase o-ring or the one for that cuppy thing (which does direct oil into the reverse box while in motion).

If it is the tube between the reverse and charin-case the you can back off the bolts that hold them together and realign the hole that the tube passes through. You also need a new gasket thing for the tube and the updated tube part.

Worked for me when I had that problem last year.

Voda2000 said:
If it is the tube between the reverse and charin-case the you can back off the bolts that hold them together and realign the hole that the tube passes through. You also need a new gasket thing for the tube and the updated tube part.

Worked for me when I had that problem last year.

Thank you for the Information, Just want to verify the parts you are talking about. Replace #71-#74 ???

Hoping to get into the garage tomorrow to tear down....

Attachments

• 176334_TRACKDRIVE2.gif
    176334_TRACKDRIVE2.gif
    180.7 KB · Views: 1,784

Back