• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

'07 RTX rear skid

wolfie said:
Not for nothing, but I'm tired of Yamaha telling us this is the rough trail suspension, only to find that its too soft. For the life of me, I can't understand why they can't build a suspension for the hammerheads. Im 80% pleased with my GT after a respring and a revalve, but the heavy stuff, it still just doesn't cut it. I'd be torqued if I spent money on this new suspension and it was still too soft. Has anyone tried a revalve yet, or heavier springs, seems like the more logical fix? Bump stoppers may be an improvement, but it seems like we're just masking the problem. Not a bash, just an observation....

As far as revalving, although there might be a more optimium valve setup (more comfortable while still handling the big bumps) the main rear shock really does work when cranked up.

With all the ice under my tunnel and me on the sled, the rear bumper was down 8" compared to lifting the bumper up enough to just fully extend the suspension. This means there's only something like 4" of travel left before it bottoms out. Once I cranked the shock up it rode like I would imagine a snocross sled would and it never bottomed out. It was so far from a "too soft ride" it wasn't funny.

The problem is the stock rear springs aren't providing enough ride height once the ice builds up. I like to see the bumper drop 3-4" from fully extended with me ready to ride a long distance (me, gear, ice build up, etc.). The 8" of static compression mine had yesterday just isn't going to cut it and the springs need more preload (or need to be replaced).

I spent a fair bit of time reading through the forums last night and it looks like the stock springs can only give the 3-4" for a rider in the under 170 lbs ready to ride range (once you get ~30+ lbs of ice in the tunnel). I've lost some weight this season, but still likely a little over 200 and wear heavy gear. I'm probably around 215-220 suited up, ready to ride. I also have about 5 lbs of safety gear (tools, rope, first aid supplies, etc.) in the trunk which doesn't help. When we do our saddle bag trips the problem will only become worse.

Once I got the ice out of the tunnel and softened off the shock again the sled rides great again.

The next step up torsion springs (15% stiffer) are $300 but I don't think there is any other option. I hope they also have a lot more preload available to give the ride height.

Maybe Yamaha doesn't include the weight of the ice build up when calibrating their springs/suspensions? Either that or they consider 160-170 lbs max rider weight for the as delivered springs.

Other than this issue, the sled is incredible to ride in every way and even with the low ride height this suspension can handle big bumps much better than a stock monoshock.

I've wrote this in another post. Yamaha did not make the RTX for guys over 180 lbs. I'm 240 and when you add the gear and all the ice that builds up right in the back of the sled it will bottom out. The compression setting is no way to control the ride height. Need the extra stiff springs for $300. I spring checked mine and ordered reverse so why can't I order the extra stiff springs. Spent a lot of money and I can't even enjoy the sled like I should. Below is a pic from my 370 mile ride yesterday with all the ice build up. Also a set of the anti bottoming kit I made myself with parts I picked up for free. (Don't ask. wink wink ) I used the biggest rubber washers I could find and moved them as far back, closest to the coil on the torsion spring as I could to help the spring right at the end of it's travel. Rubber hits the torsion spring about 1 inch before the stock rubber hits the coil in the spring.

Attachments

• Ice build up 003.jpg
    Ice build up 003.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Ice build up 005.jpg
    Ice build up 005.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 76
Mikecam said:
I've wrote this in another post. Yamaha did not make the RTX for guys over 180 lbs. I'm 240 and when you add the gear and all the ice that builds up right in the back of the sled it will bottom out. The compression setting is no way to control the ride height. Need the extra stiff springs for $300. I spring checked mine and ordered reverse so why can't I order the extra stiff springs. Spent a lot of money and I can't even enjoy the sled like I should. Below is a pic from my 370 mile ride yesterday with all the ice build up. Also a set of the anti bottoming kit I made myself with parts I picked up for free. (Don't ask. wink wink ) I used the biggest rubber washers I could find and moved them as far back, closest to the coil on the torsion spring as I could to help the spring right at the end of it's travel. Rubber hits the torsion spring about 1 inch before the stock rubber hits the coil in the spring.

How much taller does your sled sit with the heavy springs?

Do you need them cranked up all the way you do you now have extra preload available for saddle bag trips, extra ice build up, etc.?

Don't have them yet but feel I will have to get them. Yesterday with all the ice build up there is just to much weight over the rear for the stock springs to even come close to holding it. My sag is 4 inches with just me on. No riding gear, saddle bags or ice build up and it should be 3 inches.

Back