• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2011+ owners input

yamahahaapex

TY 4 Stroke Master
How many people still having issues with cold starts? At what temperatures? Have a solution? (PCV) Is it working now?

If you still are be sure to include approximate temperature, amount of key cycling or start/stall fails.

Using Ulmers map with the pcv it still takes 2 cranks with fails until the 3rd try it stays running. Been this way since new, with ulmers map and with me adding a bit more fuel at startup with 0% throttle. Cycling the key twice and then cranking does not help either. Going to try three cycles with a crank and give it a start.

This is all happening in a heated garage which is BS. Its terrible I have to find heated shelters on trips to help out the battery from the hard cranking. Has anyone else had any luck with cold/warm starts? I only have this problem when its been sitting for 24hrs or more

There is absolutely no way this machine will start at -30c overnight. Guaranteed, well see what dealer says

exup wont matter anyways, I removed it from my roadliner for aftermarket exhaust and runs better believe it or not in low end. Cant wait till cables snap in -40c.

Ive seached google (which is alot more neater than trying to search through here to find posts) that with previous apexs and some new(but not all) have ruled out sparkplugs.

Some say problems with mapping but having a map, no map and making adjustments did nothing for start up but it did make it run smoother once it finally stayed running. Still does not cure the fail starts. Going to have to mount a hairdryer under the hood it looks like lol

My 06 wouldn't start in cold weather. It would crank, start up, then quit and not start after that no matter how much I cranked. The only thing that got it going was to pour some hot water on the thermostat housing (worked for me but not necessarily recommended). It fired up immediately and ran great. I has something to do with coolant temps and fuel mixture. Seems to dump too much fuel to me and stall. Maybe warming the thermostat or coolant tricks the machine into running a bit leaner, not sure.

I hate to tell you this but mine starts fine every time, first twist of the key? now my Nytro with the s/c on it will always take 2 cycles to keep running, Will start, run for a few seconds and then die. Second time it will keep running 90% of the time?

Agman 57 said:
I hate to tell you this but mine starts fine every time, first twist of the key? now my Nytro with the s/c on it will always take 2 cycles to keep running, Will start, run for a few seconds and then die. Second time it will keep running 90% of the time?

Thats good to hear at least not everyone is having the same problem.

My 2011 Apex doesn't like the -30 stuff over night either, twice had to use the hot water trick to get it going and my buddies XTX.
Carry a siphon hose and pour hot water over the head to get her going.
Kaz

with every apex ive owned, yes i've usually had problems around minus 30c. But the problem i'm trying to get across here is starting the machine when its dead cold in a garage with temperatures above zero. Right from day one(I was there during PDI and got to twist the key on its first breath) it took three tries to start it. I've been told to take a video and forward it on to them to let them see what they think.

Im also assuming it wouldnt fire the first time for obvious reasons since it would be the first time it had done so. I know the late Mike Broda had the same exact problem with his apex. Its definently not the plugs since it runs like a top when it finally is running and is running very strong right now.

My 11 xtx starts every time.no problems at all.i have put 2200km on it in the woods,and it started in -34 !stored outside only under a roof:)

In the Garage or outside, mine are the same

3 Trys usually on the stocker until she stays running

3 or more on the Turbo. It could be a challenge in the cold as it cold start idles lower than the stocker.

One fella suggests holding the key for a few seconds while it is sputtering until it starts to run smoothly. [he has posted video here somewhere.] I tried it and it works. It just goes against my grain to hold down a starter that long with the sled sort of running.

That being said I have never had an issue with it not starting but I have not tried to start it below -20.

Back