• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

K myself and another fellow on a Nytro carry a small plastic hammer with us on tour. I also carry it in my trunk bag everywhere I go! Gently break up the ice formed in the tunnel daily is all that is needed then back up to remove. Its a morning ritual that takes a few minute while waiting for the sled to warm up.

I have done this with my Doos, Cats and now Yamaha's. Many people I have rode with carry a small soft hamer or even just a large screwdriver (not recomended by me) for this task on all brands of sleds. Its just good preventive maintainance to remove ice rather then run it through the tunnel or wear out lugs tring to burn it off with the track.

Carrying 5 to 10 pds of ice under my tunnel by the end of the day has never bother me. For those that think they are carrying 30 40pds of ice I sugest they knock it free and weigh it!

AKRider...I have a 2007 Phazer FX and the exhaust runs completely above the tunnel. I have both the front and back holes in the tunnel closed off and experience no more ice build up than any other sled in our group.

Ak Yammy said:
-Taller cg due to engine mounting for rear exhaust

Feel free to add any more.

I'm not sure you can lower the engine anymore. I don't think the engine was mounted where it is because of the rear facing exhaust! When I open the inspection plate on the bottom the motor is as low as it can be unless you lower the engine cradle closer to the snow in relation to the track drive. Not sure if thats a good idea or not. Less clearance up front leads to banging stuff and poor deep snow travel I would think.

IMHO riding a sled like a 4 wheeler and huge travel suspensions are the biggest CG increase that the sled manufactures have come up with. We sit at least a foot higher then we used to in the early 2000's. The motors and fuel tanks sit 6 to 8 inches higher then they used to. So then again maybe lowering the engine cradle would be a good thing handling wise! :dunno:

Drop motor 3 inches raise jack shaft slightly above new exhaust level instead of under as is now. Curl pipes up to fit current exhaust layout.

Sasquatch said:
Ak Yammy said:

I'm not sure you can lower the engine anymore. I don't think the engine was mounted where it is because of the rear facing exhaust! When I open the inspection plate on the bottom the motor is as low as it can be unless you lower the engine cradle closer to the snow in relation to the track drive. Not sure if thats a good idea or not. Less clearance up front leads to banging stuff and poor deep snow travel I would think.

IMHO riding a sled like a 4 wheeler and huge travel suspensions are the biggest CG increase that the sled manufactures have come up with. We sit at least a foot higher then we used to in the early 2000's. The motors and fuel tanks sit 6 to 8 inches higher then they used to. So then again maybe lowering the engine cradle would be a good thing handling wise! :dunno:

Drop motor 3 inches raise jack shaft slightly above new exhaust level instead of under as is now. Curl pipes up to fit current exhaust layout.

It would be great to get that big lump of a motor down a bit may get it to handle a bit better, but good points probably nothing to do with the rear exhaust.

Good point also about the new sleds being much more tippy due to the high seat and suspensions. Had about 20 miles on a new rush 800. Man great bump sled but it is like riding a 4 wheeler. Ski lift is there big time if you are not hanging off the side of the machine. So if the new Yammy is a Rush clone it will definitely take some getting used to for me but will be a bump eraser. :Rockon:

AKrider said:
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty certain the Phazer is just like every other Yamaha when it comes to exhaust. The exhaust still still runs under the front of the tunnel and then exits above the tunnel at the rear. Having the hot exhaust exposed to the snow creates all the ice.
Above the tunnel all the way. They cut holes in the tunnel to expose the hot exhaust to the snow dust. Couldn't have the phazer not making any ice.

Fat yammys

No matter how reliable they are they are still way to fat. Some guys say you don't like walking but ill tell you this they get stuck way more then any other brand they are way to heavy. They need a lighter chassis and a direct injection two stroke. They can build it right but like it or not four stroked sleds are too heavy they will never be number one until they start making two strokes again. I have a fourstroke Yammy n been riding with all other brands for the last five years and honestly never been towed but been stuck n rolled over more then anybody else except the other guys who ride yammys. I love the engines but they don't need to shed a little weight they need to shed a ton of it. Catch up Yamaha doo n poo how to build a two stroke. Wake the f** k up :moon:

Ak Yammy said:
Sasquatch said:
Ak Yammy said:

It would be great to get that big lump of a motor down a bit may get it to handle a bit better, but good points probably nothing to do with the rear exhaust.

Good point also about the new sleds being much more tippy due to the high seat and suspensions. Had about 20 miles on a new rush 800. Man great bump sled but it is like riding a 4 wheeler. Ski lift is there big time if you are not hanging off the side of the machine. So if the new Yammy is a Rush clone it will definitely take some getting used to for me but will be a bump eraser. :Rockon:

Yamaha lowered the engine pretty much as far as it could when they designed the original RX-1. That's why it had no oil pan and had a dry sump system. They tried to centralize the weight when they built the Apex by tilting engine towards center.
If Yamaha wanted to shed weight, they already have their own direct injection technology in their outboards and can easily build whatever they want in a sled. Hmmmm

Dan

I just looked up a parts diagram for the Phazer (2012 Phazer GT) and it shows a hole in top of the tunnel towards the bulkhead. They also show a clam shell type heat shield that goes around the two exhaust headers. I'm assuming the gast tank sits on top of this heat shield and this clamshell is mounted in the tunnel hole and exposed to snow?

If this is the case are some guys installing a plate over the hole and blocking snow from hitting the clam shell?

Sasquatch said:
K myself and another fellow on a Nytro carry a small plastic hammer with us on tour. I also carry it in my trunk bag everywhere I go! Gently break up the ice formed in the tunnel daily is all that is needed then back up to remove. Its a morning ritual that takes a few minute while waiting for the sled to warm up.

I have done this with my Doos, Cats and now Yamaha's. Many people I have rode with carry a small soft hamer or even just a large screwdriver (not recomended by me) for this task on all brands of sleds. Its just good preventive maintainance to remove ice rather then run it through the tunnel or wear out lugs tring to burn it off with the track.

Carrying 5 to 10 pds of ice under my tunnel by the end of the day has never bother me. For those that think they are carrying 30 40pds of ice I sugest they knock it free and weigh it!

I did - 36 lbs worth.
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

AKrider said:
I just looked up a parts diagram for the Phazer (2012 Phazer GT) and it shows a hole in top of the tunnel towards the bulkhead. They also show a clam shell type heat shield that goes around the two exhaust headers. I'm assuming the gast tank sits on top of this heat shield and this clamshell is mounted in the tunnel hole and exposed to snow?

If this is the case are some guys installing a plate over the hole and blocking snow from hitting the clam shell?
YES.

yamy07 said:
Sasquatch said:

I did - 36 lbs worth.
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

EXACTLY! I've never knocked loose all the ice and weighed it in either my Vector or Nytro but I sure as heck know they were a lot heavier to pick up at the end of a ride to set the track onto the sled dolly. It wasn't just 10lbs of difference either. The added weight was significant. There have been times when I've gotten both my Vector and Nytro stuck off trail that I simply could not pick the back end up. The combination of ice and snow stuck to everything just made the sled too heavy. I'd even have ice formed under the tunnels of both sleds numerous times at the end of XC races. Even with all the bumps, jumps and jostling and the suspension being bottomed out many times, the ice was still able to form in many areas. I remember thinking how fortunate I was to have a heated shop to thaw the sleds out in because if I didn't, the sleds would have become so heavy and iced up after repeated rides. I don't mind using my little dead blow hammer to knock compacted snow and ice off the tops of my running boards but I wasn't interested in having to do that chore on the inside of the tunnel.

Suckur,
Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't aware the Phazer already incorporated this design. The big question is if a guy installs a plate to close off the front hole on the newer Phazers is the build up of ice greatly diminished or eliminated? If it is not than I think the rear exiting exhaust is unworkable and Yamaha should switch to a front dump or maybe heat the heck out of the tunnel with full length heat exchangers? In theory, if enough heat is put into the tunnel surfaces than ice should not be able to form. It would be interesting to know what kind of ice build up happens on the Doo 1200 or the Cat 1100 with the front exhaust dump design?

I have been running both holes closed on my Phazer for 3 years now.No Ice anymore anywhere.Is a liability though I would imagine.I just keep a good eye on the heat shielding.

Back