• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2016 Phazer RTX 60mph top speed

Sled will gain rpm but not speed. Went 64mph on the speedo with stock clutch at ~ 12k. Last year bone stock sled went 62 on hard pack and 39 - 41 if there was anything more then 3" of powder. Possible weak secondary spring?

What does A, B, and C mean? Can you explain the wrap part you aaked. We've tried A1 and b1 with no changes...

I know there is an A,B, and C on the secondary. I'm just trying to visually picture how your saying to stall it. The spring has 2 tangs that stick up, one on either end. One end goes into A or B and the other goes into 1 on the helix..
1A is the lowest belt tension spring wrap letting the secondary open up quicker so the clutches shift out quicker putting more load on the primary thus lowering the rpm, b1 and so on holds more tension not letting the clutch shift out as quick, the engine will have to spin faster to shift the clutches out, this is how you will achieve putting your engine in its power band along with clutch weights, on the phazer the power band is around 11200 - 11400, what is Chris from Smt Bros telling you to do?

We set it at b2 and now the belt is at the right ride height
Ok, make sure everything is put together right in the secondary only put a 1/4 turn on the secondary before pushing down and installing the clip no more wrap then that , these secondary's the belt rides abit low then most snowmobile's because it goes into reverse easier just the design, after confirming that this is done correctly and no difference than put the weight to the tip in the primary to bring the rpm down, I prefer bringing it down to about about 11500 that way in the deep stuff the rpm drops to 11200-11300 in the power band, you can gain or take away about 500 rpm in the secondary by moving from a1-b1 and so on also by increasing or decreasing the wrap, keeping in mind that these clutches are load sensing meaning what your clutch results (speed) do on a stand differ from being out on a track, try watching the clutches on a stand and apply your brake on and off see how they react this might reveal what's going on.

What's the stock belt deflection supposed to be? Are you saying the belt is not supposed to sit even with the top of the sheeves on the secendary like most sleds? My belt will sit 1/4" down into the sheeves with A1 setting.

Edit** just picked up a spare secondary spring. And stock flywheights. Gonna try to put a stock clutching setup in it and see what happens.

Last edited:
You guys that are seeing 80 mph on the speedo, can you post your mods and gearing setup? I've talked to my 2 local Yamaha sled dealers and both told me 65 is normal speed on a phazer..

Also, the 1 dealer said if I'm seeing 12k rpm on the display my tach is wrong?

Last edited:
You guys that are seeing 80 mph on the speedo, can you post your mods and gearing setup? I've talked to my 2 local Yamaha sled dealers and both told me 65 is normal speed on a phazer..

Bone stock speedo says 80 mph

my 2016 Venture MP(same motor as yours) will even hit 80+mph on a good day. I'm probably a bit heavier than you and have a longer track. Everything stock...even the crappy tuner skis it came with.

I'm 240 with gear. Track is a free ride 136" with 1.5" lugs. I'm seeing 66 on the speedo at 12k when riding, 95 mph free revving it on a stand. Putting all stock clutch setup back in the sled now, along with swapping out the secondary spring for another stock piece. Will update shortly..

Most phazers hit a wall at 70mph as far as speed goes you need a long run to hit 80 ideal conditions, your machine would be very close to the rev limiter at 80, some speedo's or dream meters some people call them do read higher then the are actually traveling, the radar gun usually gives these people the bad news, however from 0-70 is where the phazer shines especially with a good clutch kit, is your machine's rev limiter kicking in? it should be at 12200rpm if your tack is reading right

Revs past 12,200..

Attachments

• IMG_4334.PNG
    IMG_4334.PNG
    404.8 KB · Views: 123
Returned everything to stock clutching. 96mph on the stand, at 12,430rpm

Attachments

• IMG_4347.PNG
    IMG_4347.PNG
    542.6 KB · Views: 120
Stock helix stock clutching:
96mph @ 12,430 A1
96mph @ 12,420 B1

Schmidt billet helix stock clutch
95mph @ 12,370 A1
95mph @ 12,360 B1

These are on a stand. No load. Not enough snow to test ride tonight. Swapped to another stock secondary spring. No change..

I was under the assumption that Chris' primary machine and billet helix would net me 8 - 10 mph gain. That's simple not the case on my self thus far. I actually lost 1 mph going to his helix over the stock one with the primary overdrive machine already done. We've tried combo after combo, swapped parts, etc. nothing works. My sled will not even go 70. It bearly goes 65. Ant idea's?

Back