• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2018 Minnesota Ride

I was just had a thought to look at the local event calendar for Ely, and it says that the local clubs are doing a FUN Run on Jan. 27. So let's do the Feb. 9-11 weekend.

Are you still heading this up? I am on the fence if I can make it and it looks like you will have good snow and handful of new riders.

Thanks carbide - I went ahead and booked a room at the junction just to be on the safe side. Looking forward to it!

Are you still heading this up? I am on the fence if I can make it and it looks like you will have good snow and handful of new riders.

I'm still here... Let's hope Mother Nature plays nice.

I might drive up and ride on Saturday afternoon & Sunday morning, this weekend. I'm teaching my 12 yr old to trail ride.

Only a few trails have been groomed so far. 4-6” Wednesday night should get the groomers out though.

The Taconite around Ely & Tower has been groomed at least once, so has the Arrowhead. The lakes are staked too now, from what I've been told by local friends.

Last edited:
Trails are getting groomed! The new snow around the Range made sleddin' fun over the weekend. I was getting my son some more trail time, so not tons of miles, but we put on about 100 miles on Sunday. It was snowing most of the day, and both times we were on bigger lakes, I almost lost him! He was following me and made the mistake of following the wrong tracks. I had to go back for him twice. Even though I thought I was keeping a good eye on him. The swamps were getting deep. Anybody that has done this ride with me before, remembers the river behind our lake, and it was very fun!

Trails are getting groomed! The new snow around the Range made sleddin' fun over the weekend. I was getting my son some more trail time, so not tons of miles, but we put on about 100 miles on Sunday. It was snowing most of the day, and both times we were on bigger lakes, I almost lost him! He was following me and made the mistake of following the wrong tracks. I had to go back for him twice. Even though I thought I was keeping a good eye on him. The swamps were getting deep. Anybody that has done this ride with me before, remembers the river behind our lake, and it was very fun!

Ran the Taconite from Wolf Track to Rapids yesterday, plus a few loops, and everything was great. The snow cover closer to Rapids gets thin though. Plan on running from Cook to Ely today and loop around the Northshore trail to Babbitt and back. Are your Portages in good shape, any tree/brush clearing needed, I'm off most of the next 2 weeks?

They logged the portage just about to the river, the portages are fine.

Hope the warm spell didn't have an impact up there!
How many people are going to attend? Speak up folks!

Back