• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2020 Snow Flap Install

What I'm wondering now is if I should go with the GSE electric power steering or go with the BOP mechanical power steering...big difference in price...I want to go on long rides but at the end of the day I'm reminded of elbow tendonitis..anyones experience in the 2 power steering units would be appreciated. Joe

Although I don't have the GSE electric power steering kit, I do have EPS on my 18 Apex XTX and MPS on the my 08 Apex LTX. Here's a link to a write-up I did earlier in the year after getting some seat time on Travis' MPS kit:

https://ty4stroke.com/threads/mecha...-apex-from-barn-of-parts.159777/#post-1521037

yes I chatted withTravis at BOP for a short while and I got his opinion on things I should have, he did mention the drive shaft saver but I will wait till have the chain case opened again. From what I understand the MPS he has designed is very good and I may get one if I can't swing the EPS...I have tendonitis flareups from over use so EPS is probably best for me ... Oh, by the way, I would definitely order the oil tank gasket from BOP...when I had my 500 mile service the oil tank leaked with the product the dealership was using...it was concerning when you don't get your sled back for 70+ days because it just wouldn't seal up...I've mentioned it on this sight and got allot of good feedback as to the problem...I want to avoid this from happening again and a $30 gasket is worth allot more than loosing my sled for any amount of time...just a heads up !!! BOP is such a great resource for us Yamaha owners. Joe

Joe if you buy my MPS kit and it doesn't work out for you you can always send it back for a full refund. ;)!

Finishing snow flap install on the 2020 sidewinder S-TX, and the sleds Handy mentioned above....

This is the 5th and 6th rivet you have to remove that's under the L/R black trims (I call it the wings of the OEM original black snow flap). The other 4 rivets were under the Cover (see above). In order to get to it you have to remove the two L/R storage boxes (applicable only to the S-TX), the four screws in the luggage area (that's in front of the Cover), and then the 4 or 5 screws holding the L/R black trim (1 screw is in footrest area) which are all accessible under the sled. After you do that you can bend back the black trim to expose the 5th and 6th snow flap rivet and drill it out (see below).

upload_2020-9-15_19-36-9.png

Below is the original OEM S-TX black snow flap removed. Notice where the 5th and 6th rivet hole are on the left side (flap wings)

upload_2020-9-15_19-49-51.png

Below is the new red OEM accessory snow flap install with the mounting SS hardware installed (screws 1/4" x 20 x 3/4" w/ 1" fender washer (?), and a std washer for the 1/4" nylon nuts). Some of the holes where slightly elongated during rivet removal so I just made them all 1/4"

NOTE: There are no provision to install a rivet or hardware under the black trim where rivets 5 and 6 were removed. Meaning the red OEM replacement snow flap had no snow flap wings were the 5th and 6th rivet was... only the 4 pieces of hardware to keep it in place.

upload_2020-9-15_20-2-20.png

Below is a overview of the new red OEM accessory snow flap. This flap is a lot longer then the original black OEM flap. The difference in length between the old and new flap are words Yamaha (an extra 2 1/2"- 3" ) on the new red OEM flap. Also the flap is about 2 1/2" off the ground compared to 5" or 6" for the original flap . Not sure if that's good or bad? (I could reinstall the original flap if I had too.) I'm also a little concerned that only 4 pieces of hardware hold this flap in place vice 6 pieces with the original OEM black flap.

BTW- the RED snow flap is Red and matches the sled but its a lot of R-E-D ... maybe the next accessory snow flap should be black.

upload_2020-9-15_20-10-57.png

That's all folks... hope so somebody can use this

It actually looks really good. You could cut the Yamaha off. Your sled has the Yamaha name on the trunk. You don't need it twice on the rear of the sled. That flap should rivet to the grab handle in the center if you need more support.

Handy - I'll try it for this year... maybe it will get jammed somehow I thought it was a nice accessory. new toy new accessories

YamaJon1 - where is the BoP wedge (driveshaft saver) installed in relation to the brake rotor.

Inside the shaft that the rotor is mounted on.

Backing up could put your flap into the track.

Absolutely correct, and to tell you the truth ... why it wouldn't do that right off the bat would be news to me. I know to be-careful coming off the trailer and backing up but a family member... zoom zoom zoom whether its going forward or going backwards BUT maybe there's a cooling benefit since I'm on the lake ice a lot. I need to remind. Maybe a bungee cord snow flap hole for coming off the hybrid trailer in order t0 hold it up - don't know yet. Thanks

Back