• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2021 Release?

Status
Not open for further replies.
117 is a lot of speed even for a Apex. When I had my 1997 700 triple Vmax we raced on several occasions and yes he did beat me but not by the margin you would think. The low to mid range of my 7000 El Tigre 1049cc would scare the crap out of my buddies 2007 Apex in a 1/4 mile drag race. It will happen next winter:4STroke:
That is interesting, I spank my buddies 2015 Viper LTX DX all day long.
We leave the line and I never see him along side me, just getting further behind.
My RX1 he did get the jump on me, however I shortly reeled him in and then put him in my mirror.

Last edited:

That is interesting, I spank my buddies 2015 Viper LTX DX all day long.
We leave the line and I never see him along side me, just getting further behind.
My RX1 he did get the jump on me, however I shortly reeled him him and then put him in my mirror.
This is correct. An Apex can easily handle a Viper. It should given there is about 20hp diff.
A Viper would need a LOT of mods to keep up.

Totally stock? I have a 137" with a modded airbox and I've been playing with the primary weights(Dalton) and the best I've seen is 158km/hr, and that's just on my speedo.

As far as the the future of Yamaha and the partnership with Textron, I love my 7000 and it doesn't inspire confidence when I dont see Cat selling a lot of 7000 models. The 1049 has been the best motor for a long time now, so I think is foolish to turn their backs on it.
I also would love to see a turbo 500(Phazor) motor in a better (even Procross) chassis. These motors have a lot to give.

Yes 137" with 144 studs, medium windshield and a BOP soft start primary spring. No real performance mods as it's my 15 yr old daughters sled. Speeds of the SW/Apex/Viper were on the lake with super hard ice and just a skiff of snow for lube. Did notice the Duponts on the Viper starting to grab at the end after holding 105 for a while!! Speedo on Viper was reading about 1.5 mph higher than GPS. Speedo on SW was reading 5mph higher than GPS and Speedo on Apex was reading 8mph higher than GPS.

I heard Cat is not selling any new models in 2020 and no longer offer the 1049cc engines in the 7000 series
Something is going on between the two companies

That's incorrect. They are not selling any in season models for 2020. Meaning they are doing what Yamaha did last year with the pre-order only. So if you want a 2020 model, you need to pre-order now.

They have released new models in the Riot, and yes it is not just a rebadged Cross Country/High country. And the skid is new. The 7000's are gone.

Those that think the agreement only revolves around sleds are wrong as well. And the agreement cannot be more strong for the 998T as the Wildcat XX is selling very well. The new agreement with Bass Pro shops will even see a Tracker branded Arctic Cat ATV based on the Wildcat XX with 998t Yamaha engine. So you don't go into an agreement like that with out a long term commitment from your engine supplier. Just saying.

OK, here is good news as of this past week.

I read an article on Adventure Rider about Yamaha's recent patent for a two cylinder forced induction engine. Obviously this lights up their forum with stories of a turbo 500/700/900 in a bike.

As per Yamaha, they do not want to develop new engine technology that will only be used in one line of machines. So this engine may end up in ATV's or even sleds. Let's hope and pray sleds, as a small turbo could fill the line up.

And let me repeat that, not replace the 998T in the Sidewinder, but fill the line up. Possibly replace the 1049, or even offer that missing 150-165hp class engine! Or offer up that 90-120 class engine.

Here are some pics posts, and the body of the article. I take no credit in writing this. It's obvious that most of these bike guys are oblivious to the existence of the 208hp triple being used in the sleds. Enjoy!!

Yamaha-turbo-2-712x400.jpg

Yamaha-turbo-1.jpg

Yamaha Developing A Twin-Cylinder Turbo Engine
It seems that forced induction may be making a comeback of sorts

Mike / @Ride2ADV
4/12/2019

It seems that forced induction may be making a comeback of sorts. Factory turbos made a short appearance in the motorcycle world back in the early 1980s. The “big four”; Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda and Kawasaki all had factory turbocharged machines. Bikes like the XN85, XJ 650T, CX 500/CX650 and GPZ 750 roamed the streets featuring forced induction.

But the reign of the turbo motorcycle was brief, and the various turbocharged models died out. The bikes suffered from an assortment of ailments including turbo lag, excess weight and, flexible frames that made riding less enjoyable.

However, it seems that some manufacturers are re-examing turbochargers for motorcycle use. Suzuki has been making patent applications for years for a machine they have called the Recursion. More recently, rumors have been circulating that Suzuki will re-introduce the Hayabusa with a turbocharger.

But now it appears that another manufacturer is looking at turbocharging a motorcycle. Yamaha has filed a new patent application for a turbocharged parallel twin engine.

The patent drawing shows what looks like a Yamaha MT series engine fitted with a turbocharger. Whether Yamaha will ever put it in a motorcycle isn’t known. But with at least two of the “big four” motorcycle manufacturers filing patent applications, it looks like they have more than a passing interest in bringing turbochargers back.

It could be that the upcoming new Euro5 emissions regulations have something to do with the renewed interest in turbocharging. Technology has come in a long way since the early 1980s; it would be interesting to see what “modern day” motorcycles could do with forced induction.

OK, here is good news as of this past week.

I read an article on Adventure Rider about Yamaha's recent patent for a two cylinder forced induction engine. Obviously this lights up their forum with stories of a turbo 500/700/900 in a bike.

As per Yamaha, they do not want to develop new engine technology that will only be used in one line of machines. So this engine may end up in ATV's or even sleds. Let's hope and pray sleds, as a small turbo could fill the line up.

And let me repeat that, not replace the 998T in the Sidewinder, but fill the line up. Possibly replace the 1049, or even offer that missing 150-165hp class engine! Or offer up that 90-120 class engine.

Here are some pics posts, and the body of the article. I take no credit in writing this. It's obvious that most of these bike guys are oblivious to the existence of the 208hp triple being used in the sleds. Enjoy!!

Yamaha-turbo-2-712x400.jpg

Yamaha-turbo-1.jpg

Yamaha Developing A Twin-Cylinder Turbo Engine
It seems that forced induction may be making a comeback of sorts

Mike / @Ride2ADV
4/12/2019

It seems that forced induction may be making a comeback of sorts. Factory turbos made a short appearance in the motorcycle world back in the early 1980s. The “big four”; Suzuki, Yamaha, Honda and Kawasaki all had factory turbocharged machines. Bikes like the XN85, XJ 650T, CX 500/CX650 and GPZ 750 roamed the streets featuring forced induction.

But the reign of the turbo motorcycle was brief, and the various turbocharged models died out. The bikes suffered from an assortment of ailments including turbo lag, excess weight and, flexible frames that made riding less enjoyable.

However, it seems that some manufacturers are re-examing turbochargers for motorcycle use. Suzuki has been making patent applications for years for a machine they have called the Recursion. More recently, rumors have been circulating that Suzuki will re-introduce the Hayabusa with a turbocharger.

But now it appears that another manufacturer is looking at turbocharging a motorcycle. Yamaha has filed a new patent application for a turbocharged parallel twin engine.

The patent drawing shows what looks like a Yamaha MT series engine fitted with a turbocharger. Whether Yamaha will ever put it in a motorcycle isn’t known. But with at least two of the “big four” motorcycle manufacturers filing patent applications, it looks like they have more than a passing interest in bringing turbochargers back.

It could be that the upcoming new Euro5 emissions regulations have something to do with the renewed interest in turbocharging. Technology has come in a long way since the early 1980s; it would be interesting to see what “modern day” motorcycles could do with forced induction.

So this would be a verification of the rumour I heard as well from my dealer. I started a thread a few weeks ago, to see if anyone else heard this. So, will they build a sled around it is the question.
https://ty4stroke.com/threads/rumour-or-fake-news.157255/page-5#post-1485396

Like Biff says....no clue....lol....what modern day bikes can do with a turbo....just look at the sidewinders...a lot tougher environment than any bike will see, with tons more drag to deal with. The 998turbo is awesome!

Interesting. If Yamaha was to offer a beefed up version of the 700 parallel twin used in bikes, adapted of course to be like the Phazer 500 engine style for sled application, I think it would be a huge success. It would be in the hunt for 150hp class power, with broad power and way more mid range power than competing two-strokes.
If you look at cars and trucks, the trend is to lower displacement boosted engines.

its crazy how many people on here think yamaha is done,i just laugh when people get going on this...when they do come out with there new frames which they will people will say the engine is outdated!!!just start a site called totallynegative and do us all a favor!!Guaranteed people are going to jump on me about the new frames just watch!!!:yam:

I believe that there is some disagreement between Yamaha Motor North America and Yamaha Japan that has to be settled first before you see new Japan designed frames! Remember the bigger the ship the harder it is to turn! If you dropped your lunch box off a ship, (Yamaha), you would be less likely to turn around and go get it than you would if you dropped it off a 22' bass boat, (Polaris)! Yamaha Motor Corp is still a motor company first!

The Yamaha North America disagreement with mother Japan was the latest rumor I heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back