• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

225 flash

Moodeyblue

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Sidewinder SE
I am looking flash my ECU and maintain the stock exhaust. A few companies have flashes available.
Hurricane is advertising 225 hp... but I am not sure where their baseline is for this flash.

TD says their flash works well, but have not dyno'd it (to my knowledge).

Ulmer has a flash (possible EVO?) and is claiming 215 HP with a baseline of around 187 ish. This seems realistic.

Does anyone have experience with any of the flashes and how are they working out? Bottom line is these need to be safe as the warranty will be voided.

Me and a friend have been driving Hurricane 225 last winter. It has worked without any problems. Pretty big difference to original.

Evo flashes working well on trail from last winter to asphalt this summer.

TD flashes also working well on other sidewinders I had a chance to drive.

wasn't there a flash that was designed for 87 octane fuel?

I am looking flash my ECU and maintain the stock exhaust. A few companies have flashes available.
Hurricane is advertising 225 hp... but I am not sure where their baseline is for this flash.

TD says their flash works well, but have not dyno'd it (to my knowledge).

Ulmer has a flash (possible EVO?) and is claiming 215 HP with a baseline of around 187 ish. This seems realistic.

Does anyone have experience with any of the flashes and how are they working out? Bottom line is these need to be safe as the warranty will be voided.

IF PROTECTING YOUR MOTOR IS YOUR CONCERN: I submit this....TD has flashed more 998's than all the others combined...they test the most and on snow....the maps are built and tested 100% on the snow...not the dyno...in the temps we ride in...they have to my knowledge close to a decade of tunes for the turbo four strokes...for me its TD all the way...

Can we get this thread renamed the pissing match thread because we all know where this is going.
My advice would be to talk with all the performance shops and go with the person you feel most comfortable with. It really doesn't look like you can go wrong with any of the site sponsors here.

also...the stock exhaust is a limiting factor...Id recommend a muffler mod...very close to stock sound levels with much better flow

240 flash from Hurricane runs on 87, but will need a freer flowing muffler as well. Most of the tunes can run on 87 octane up around 260-270 as long as you don't hold the loud flipper on too long. Longer runs or heat soaked intake temps and you better have 91 in the tank up at 260+.

240 flash from Hurricane runs on 87, but will need a freer flowing muffler as well. Most of the tunes can run on 87 octane up around 260-270 as long as you don't hold the loud flipper on too long. Longer runs or heat soaked intake temps and you better have 91 in the tank up at 260+.
Thanks Mike. I have no problem running 91 but last year up in the Gaspe there were times when I had to run 87 because 91 wasn't available. My stock SW ran flawless on 87 and I know the timing will adjust for lower octane fuel but my concern would be if a tuned engine will still have this safety feature.

way back when I ran a highjacker....I was blown away as TD was the original flasher (before the johnny come latelys) to be able to run 87 octane....has thousands of tunes out there fr the 1100 and now the 998!

Thanks Mike. I have no problem running 91 but last year up in the Gaspe there were times when I had to run 87 because 91 wasn't available. My stock SW ran flawless on 87 and I know the timing will adjust for lower octane fuel but my concern would be if a tuned engine will still have this safety feature.
Actually TD figured out that the knock sensor is doing NOTHING currently. They were trying to figure out if they could enable it.

My contribution to the Match.

Ulmer has disclosed that he uses an efficiency ratio of 55% on his track Dyno to convert to crank HP.

TD disclosed they use 50% efficiency in a thread on here in converting their track dyno HP to crank HP.

Hurricane uses an engine Dyno. [I believe he has a track dyno as well but his ratings are done on an engine Dyno according to Dave Marshall.]

It appears to me that TD has excellent tunes and does significant testing but their HP readings might be nearly 10% higher than actual due to the lower conversion efficiency ratio they use.

This is my MCX 290 Apex on Ulmers track Dyno overboosted to 15 psi boost vs what MCX sets it at. If you use a 50% efficiency ratio it would convert to 354 hp. No way it is making that in my opinion. We all know MCX is conservative in their ratings but not that conservative.

15psi.jpg

Maybe the Winders are not as efficient as an Apex though. I Dunno.

I've read a lot and it seems to me you likely can't go wrong with any of them.

Actually TD figured out that the knock sensor is doing NOTHING currently. They were trying to figure out if they could enable it.

Actually,,Ben and I are working with the same engineer to develop the code for the 998 flashes. The knock sensor was tested on our engine dyno when we discovered that the code was never written in the ecu by Yamaha to enable the knock sensor. That's why neither ben nor I currently have a working knock detection light on the 998. All the early development of the 998 flash code was developed on the hurricane performance engine dyno for our engineer. From there ben and I developed our custom tunes uniquely

Actually,,Ben and I are working with the same engineer to develop the code for the 998 flashes. The knock sensor was tested on our engine dyno when we discovered that the code was never written in the ecu by Yamaha to enable the knock sensor. That's why neither ben nor I currently have a working knock detection light on the 998. All the early development of the 998 flash code was developed on the hurricane performance engine dyno for our engineer. From there ben and I developed our custom tunes uniquely
Dave and I had this talk last winter, I was sure to keep this to myself but nice to see Dave mention this. Not alot of guys who can crack these codes to unlock things.

Both Ben and Dave are great tuners, and good guys to talk with.

Dan

Last edited:

Back