• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

4th wheel kit or new trihub

Lebowski

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 Viper RTX SE
Hi all, this may have already been discussed and I missed it, but I have a 16 RTX-SE with about 950 miles on it. After reading all the horror stories about Tri-hub failures I am trying to decide if I should replace the Tri Hub with a J&T or would I be good with just adding the J&T 4th wheel kit? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

I got two seasons, 5000 miles out of mine. Just put JT's kit in. The tri hub didn't fail but it would have this year, the bearings are rough. If you are going to buy a kit you might as well replace the whole thing now.

The true fact of the matter is that the plastic is very flimsy. I took mine out before I ever rode it and put in a Larson Racing one. I had heard the stories about the factory ones and made a decision to get a different one. Once I took it out I must really say that it is pretty flimsy. Once you take it out, you will see. That being said, not sure how putting a few more wheels on it is going to help make it more solid. Get a good 4 wheel kit and sleep better.

Ok thanks guys. I know I am preaching to the choir, but it pisses me off that we spend this much on a sled and then have to keep spending on issues that should have been addressed at the factory just to feel comfortable and safe on them.

2016 ltx le 3000 miles. Tri hub was in great shape. I changed out the bearings with higher end ones. I like the trihub look. I see no reason to go fourth wheel

They did change the style with replaceable bearings

2016 ltx le 3000 miles. Tri hub was in great shape. I changed out the bearings with higher end ones. I like the trihub look. I see no reason to go fourth wheel
Same...I changed bearings in it each season . No issue ...

I just replaced mine with the upgraded 2016 one and a 4th wheel kit...just couldn't justify the cost of aftermarket with exchange and shipping to Canada...almost $175 cheaper...that's a lot of bearings!

They must have changed the tri-hub for 16, in my 15 the bearings are not replaceable.
I thought 15 and up where replaceable, got 3300 trouble free on trihub, but bought jt 2 wheel replacement this season.

Last edited:
If you have it apart, its likely worth the time to upgrade.
We had to leave a buddy behind when his tri hub failed and that left a stark impression on me. He sat around for 2hrs until we returned and got to him with the truck and trailer.
MS

Mine failed at 1700 miles. Totally stuck on trail when it happens. I went with JT products 4th wheels kit. WAY better support and better bearings and th 4 wheels dispurse the working load across 4 bearings.

Back