• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

A straight answer

Just my observation on slider wear, bought a used 06 Nytro with 850 miles on it. Slides seemed worn down quite a bit just below wear indicator or beveled marking. Rode the entire season last year and all of this year and still have them on over 1900 miles so far. My 08 rtx Nytro seames to be wearing the same way 1500 miles and still going. It seams they wear down quite a bit then wear slows down, the wear seems even on both sleds, not favoring the front, seems to wear more towards the rear. Both sleds have seen marginal snow conditions also. I now keep an eye on them for wear, but very surprised on how they have kept going.

cannondale27 said:
Do you know if the white slides like Polaris uses will fit our skids?

I'm not sure but I don't think so. I think the profile of the rail may be different?

This is the plastic that I'm comparing too. Riding with 2 Fusions and an IQ CFI most of the time. The IQ has over 3000 miles on the same sliders with no wear. I've gone through two sets in half the distance.

Anyway you could take a measurement of the bottom of idlerwheels to the rail on these?Maybe they mount them lower so there is more hyfax once the hyfax wears enough that all wheels touch track.I have a old rail will go to dealer and see if I can find any white Hyfax that fits.

I had the same problem with premature wear, so I installed wheel kit available in the Yamaha accessories catalog. Part # SMA-8FA95-00-00 on page 37 of the catalog. Mounted them half inch ahead of the existing holes in the rail. You have to drill your own holes, but they work great a eliminating wear on the last 16" of hyfax. Shortening your front limiter strap takes care of wear at the bend. MAKE SURE you "temper" your new hyfax as well, it makes a huge differance. I rode in alot of different snow conditions after the install, and the problem has been greatly reduced.

Thanks Tork.

I keep it tight because I don't want studs doing any damage. But I haven't had a problem with sliders by keeping it tight.

Anyone have pics of where it's wearing, and/or pics of your wheels and wear from there?

I would post a picture of the wheel kit installed, but it is at the dealers waiting for a new subframe. Sorry. Just a little clarification, the part # that I listed is NOT a specific application for the NYTRO, but it does fit on the rail, you just have to drill your own holes. I mounted them about 14" +/- ahead of the rear wheels. I think the kit sells for $69 U.S.. Put some RED LOCTITE on the bolt that goes thru the rail.

some interesting thoughts.

My first set lasted 2500km in very sketchy early season conditions...I figured everyone else was driving through muck.

Anyway......the next two sets lasted 1500km. I'm really wondering if my initial slow putt putt slow day when breaking in the sled might have "tempered" the original sliders.

one of my summer projects I guess.....extra wheels and 4th wheel for the rear.

ktm010 said:
Just my observation on slider wear, bought a used 06 Nytro with 850 miles on it. Slides seemed worn down quite a bit just below wear indicator or beveled marking. Rode the entire season last year and all of this year and still have them on over 1900 miles so far. My 08 rtx Nytro seames to be wearing the same way 1500 miles and still going. It seams they wear down quite a bit then wear slows down, the wear seems even on both sleds, not favoring the front, seems to wear more towards the rear. Both sleds have seen marginal snow conditions also. I now keep an eye on them for wear, but very surprised on how they have kept going.

This is a major key point!!!!! A lot of guys know this but many may not.

the first 2/3 or 3/4 can wear very fast, then in many cases wear slows way down. Why is that?? Because as the plastic wears the track comes in greater contact with the wheels.

After re reading this thread, I have to say some guys may be changing their hyfax too early, before they wear to where the wheels can do their job.

Since these sleds are delievered with about 3/8" ski toe in, anyone ever wonder if that is resulting in less snow thrown back there. Toe out would aim the rear of the ski and wear bar at the rear skid. That in addition to the 1.25 lug track and the closed window track, etc, etc.
I have my ski's toed out 1/4" and have over 2,000 miles with the original slides and although their shot, they made the entire winter at least.....

I've checked mine several times and they are toed out, 1/4" as they were when I picked it up.

Another idea I have toyed with is a bolt through the back of the skis down enough to dig in and tear snow a little but not so deep as to drag on say the garage floor or pavement. Could be a cheap set of do it yourself scratchers. I saw the idea on here I think at one point but I haven't heard of it explored much.

bagadonitz said:
I've checked mine several times and they are toed out, 1/4" as they were when I picked it up.

Another idea I have toyed with is a bolt through the back of the skis down enough to dig in and tear snow a little but not so deep as to drag on say the garage floor or pavement. Could be a cheap set of do it yourself scratchers. I saw the idea on here I think at one point but I haven't heard of it explored much.

Bob Miller made a set of his own that sound like they worked rather well

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... scratchers

Simmons skis have an optional fin type blade that bolts on. Shoots a bunch of snow onto the insidee of the track. These and/or ice scratchers or the bolt could make a huge difference. Actually I know they do because I ride with a guy that has the Simmons with the fins.

I also always drill approx 3/16" holes about 2" apart all the way down the middle of the slides. My 97 SX 700 went almost 5,000 miles on the original set with the holes drilled from day one and everyone said I was crazy but I can count on one hand how many hyfax I have replaced in the last 10 years with countless Yami's, Cats and Doo's.

How do the newer Phazers with 14" wide tracks do on hyfax with the lightweight slotted clips? In theory they are similia to what I have been doing with drilling small lube holes in the hyfax......

Back