• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

AD Boivin ZX2 Durability & Performance Log

kinger said:
MDKUNI - I had guardrails mods done to my shocks for the ZX2 I called Ross and said do it up exactly. I HATED it I mean it was worthless so something is a miss I guess. Hygear offers free revalves but you have to pay for oil and seals but on the 2nd time they got it almost perfect. More tolerable in stutter bumps then stock and still that great big bump absorption the ZX2 makes us all smile.

I have always been curious if bjowett could make a custom set of Ohlins since he is the man with Ohlins.

Thanks kinger. I spoke with Hygear and they feel pretty confident that this would resolve my issues with breaking the shocks. I will probably send them out in the summer. Hopefully the bugs are worked out with the setup now that they have done it a couple times.

kinger said:
MDKUNI - I had guardrails mods done to my shocks for the ZX2 I called Ross and said do it up exactly. I HATED it I mean it was worthless so something is a miss I guess. Hygear offers free revalves but you have to pay for oil and seals but on the 2nd time they got it almost perfect. More tolerable in stutter bumps then stock and still that great big bump absorption the ZX2 makes us all smile.

I have always been curious if bjowett could make a custom set of Ohlins since he is the man with Ohlins.

Was it too stiff?

guardrail said:
kinger said:

Was it too stiff?

No WAY to soft it was like riding the mono all over again. Would bottom out on any bump over 6" it was miserable. There is no way it was the same valving as yours if you run 270, I run 200lbs and was riding like a sissy to NOT bottom and it still would. I think they messed up a little bit. I sent them in told them and they redid it to my tastes and they are nice now.

Yeah, something must have gotten mixed up. If anything mine is a little to stiff on the small stuff. Some more hot wings or cheeseburgers should fix that!

I think I know what happened. Depending on when you sent in your shocks, I put a ZX2 in my girlfriends sled, and had Hygear set hers up for a 120lb rider. When they got your shocks, they probably saw her setup as my most current setup. I sent her shocks in under my name. I rode her sled, and it is useless for me, but she loves it.

guardrail said:
I think I know what happened. Depending on when you sent in your shocks, I put a ZX2 in my girlfriends sled, and had Hygear set hers up for a 120lb rider. When they got your shocks, they probably saw her setup as my most current setup. I sent her shocks in under my name. I rode her sled, and it is useless for me, but she loves it.

good to know ….. this makes sense to me. I was hoping for a resolve because
Hygear has always done right by me…just haven't used them for my zx2 -yet.

Mdkuni , did you ever find out what caused the vibration in your skid....
I think mine is starting to do the same thing.... It just came on all of a sudden
After a few hard lake runs... I can also hear it and that is equally annoying.

Barry

ghost rider said:
Mdkuni , did you ever find out what caused the vibration in your skid....
I think mine is starting to do the same thing.... It just came on all of a sudden
After a few hard lake runs... I can also hear it and that is equally annoying.

Barry

No. It is drastically reduced in the Nytro though. Now I only notice it f I am riding across a lake and the snow is hard and rutted. I wouldn't think it would be something that would all of a sudden show up. Have you checked your drive line?

I just installed a ZX2 into my '06 Apex RTX and extended it to 136", and when I got the skid, the guy didn't have the manual that goes with it. He had the 4 pins out of it as he said it was easier to remove and install that way. Long story short, I'm not sure where I should install the pins and what to set my preload on my shocks to. I'm 150lbs without gear and am looking for a firm set-up that doesn't bottom out. I don't mind a firm setup at all and would rather have it firm them have it bottom out at all. If someone could take a pic of the side of their sled so I can mirror the set-up.
Thanks as this topic has been very informative and helpful for me.

After re-reading the 24 pages I found some good pics and will set mine up to 2-4 and 4 on the pre-load, replace the pins with bolts and go from there.

Last edited:
23,293 miles on the skid.

I have installed all new bolts, nuts, and threaded blocks for the track adjustment section in the rear of the skid and have put on at least a thousand miles with no more derailing issues.

A follow up to my pre season review, I did order a steel lower shock rod from AD. I will try and remember to report on the wear of the steel rod vs the aluminum one once I get more miles on her. This season has been horrible so I have not put many miles on the skid this year. I am at about 2,000 right now.

I have been meaning to post on this for awhile. When I installed my ZX2 on my 2006 Apex it had around 10,000 miles on it. Sometime during the last season that I had the sled (I am guessing it was around 19,000) the tunnel developed hairline cracks at both rear mounting points for the ZX2.

When I purchased my 2008 Apex, I contacted Muffin Works and had them fab up some reinforcement plates for me. So far so good. I have had the ZX2 on my 2008 for more miles then I did on my 2006 and no cracks have developed. I attached a picture of the cracks from my 06 sled. I drilled holes at the end of the cracks to try and stop the cracks from spreading. Although that did not work. I also attached a picture of the plates I put on my 08 sled.

I'm new to this site, I've just put my ZX2 in my 07 Apex RTX and I've yet to try it out, do you recommend me getting these plates you mentioned having been fabbed up? I'm reading this whole thread and I'm wondering if anyone can help me with basic setup for a porker like me at 230lbs? I'm new to this skid but I'm mechanically inclined and any input will be greatly appreciated. It's 136" and got an 1 1/2 paddle track on it.

Try it the way it is and see how you like it, and adjust it from there. If you cant get it how you like it, then send the shocks to get revalved.

I'm new to this site, I've just put my ZX2 in my 07 Apex RTX and I've yet to try it out, do you recommend me getting these plates you mentioned having been fabbed up? I'm reading this whole thread and I'm wondering if anyone can help me with basic setup for a porker like me at 230lbs? I'm new to this skid but I'm mechanically inclined and any input will be greatly appreciated. It's 136" and got an 1 1/2 paddle track on it.

I would do the plates if you plan on putting a lot of hard miles on. I have not had a problem with cracks in the two other sleds I put my ZX2 in with some sort of plate on the tunnel bolts. Have you put some miles on the skid yet, wonder how you like it?

You're not talking about the installation reinforcement plates are you?
If you are they are a must.

Back