• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

AD Boivin ZX2 Durability & Performance Log

I believe he's talking about additional reinforcement plates under the bolt head for the 4 bolt holding the ZX-2 to the tunnel.

Resurrecting an old thread here, but has anyone found a replacement shock for the skid?
Mine are still the original ones and haven't had anything/rebuilds/re-valving done to them.

I'm also still on the original shock with nothing done to them.
I have two sleds running the ZX-2 and both skids are in excellent condition.
Some wear from years of use are seen but there is nothing broken in any of my two sleds.
Both have been run at 350 HP and survived.

Last year I finally gave up my 03 RX-1 and gave it to a good friend of mine.
I kept the ZX-2 and moved it to my 08 Apex which is now stretched to 144" with the ZX-2 skid on board.
I will never ever part with the skids, they are the first and only skids that have not broken down in all the years I have been riding snowmobiles, starting in 1978.
The reason I went with ZX-2 was that I was fed up with the annual (sometimes a few times a year) welding of Yamaha skids.

I anyone finds a replacement shock that is more adjustable, please share the info with us.
I would love to run fully adjustable shocks with both compression and rebound damping adjustability.

I had Hygear look at my zx-2 to see if they could build a single custom Axis shock. I think they said there was a problem with the length of the shocks or the rate of the suspension. That's probably why there are 2 short ones in there. It was 3 or 4 years ago, I don't remember exactly what they said, but I tried to get a replacement for the originals.
It took a couple of tries on the re-valving, but mine is set up perfect now, I really don't see the need to use different shocks now.

It would be easier if Øhlins had something that would fit as I have access to sertified Øhlins techs locally.

If someone has their skid out and the shocks off, take a c-c measurement of it, and the length of the shock body and if anyone knows the spring rate and free length of the spring, I'm sure there is something out there that would fit.
Maybe something like a motorcycle rear shock might come close?

Try Shock Tec. The owners name is Frank. They are in Drayton, Ont. They have done a couple of mine now and are great to work with. He has done a few ZX2s.

Back