• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

AD Boivin ZX2 Durability & Performance Log

They are sending clips replacement. Also told me, they looking to have different clips that won't pull out from the holes. For the strap, They told me was not an issue and doesn't affect the way the suspension works.

Here the trails are still there at 95%. Suppose to rain today + tonite. Also, broke front bulkhead when going over X-crossing. So I guess, my season is over.

Maybe next year you will be able to catch me!!!!

See ya

Yummy - so unfortunate, I feel for you and your sled, nothing funny ending the season with a mishap :-(

Nice mileage you've got :)

rxrider,

Thanks. This year was a low mileage (4335 miles), miss a few run because of exhaust and suspension problems and now the front suspension (my fault).

My putting a new rear suspension in, I'm starting to like my Apex again. Might even start next season with it and postposne buying a new sled. As you know, first engine checkup is 24k miles, so no problemo on the engine side. Now, if the rest could hold up together...

See Ya.

Yummy said:
rxrider,
As you know, first engine checkup is 24k miles, so no problemo on the engine side. Now, if the rest could hold up together...

I feel your pain, but man when this sled is working it flat out rocks!

What did you do crossing the tracks? :o| How fast?

Too slow I guess. 5 mph and it had wood crossing to prevent that! Seem to catch the edge of the track. Not quite sure exactly what the damage is. The spindle seems straight up instead of being slated. The front bulkhead bold is out and the bolt hole is broken. So I'm not sure if the arm top & bottom are affected and/or spindle. One thing for sure, it was a small impact, didn't even trough me over the handles.

Soo my summer projet, is the front suspension + the exhaust, it leaking again pretty bad.

Yummy

Did a full inspection on the skid with just under 3,700 miles.

The rubber bumpers in the revolver plate are still there since receiving replacements last year. Although a couple are showings signs of falling apart again.

No cracks that I could find.

The original hyfax will stay on. There is not a ton of life left but I bet I could still get another 1,000 miles depending on conditions.

I replaced 8 bearings. The two bearings for the 120 MM wheels were still good as they do not get much use. If you put the skid on the ground they do not touch at all. Not sure why they arn't bigger, yet hyfax wear is not increased in that area. One rear axle wheel and one 135mm wheel have a small chunk out of them. I am not going to replace them.

Also the two front wheels that are on the shaft between the rails were replaced under warranty so they are brand new.

I had the shocks revalved and rebuilt by Pioneer using the information rxrider got from ADBoivin. So I will report on the ride difference once I get some time on her.

I am putting on a new Micro Belmont drive shaft, a new set of OEM drivers, and a new track. Hopefully one of those things will cure my vibration problem.

Last thing I am doing is installing four zip ties to make the strap stay put.

I have 3700 kms or 2300 miles on mine and my friend got 5000 kms or 3100 miles on his ZX-2.
We have found exactly the same issues as mdkuni has found with the ZX-2 in his sled. I have about the same hyfax life left but my friends hyfax are gone, worn thru.

Will do the same upgrade to the strap, change out the revolver rubber, and change out a few idlers and bearings.

Bottom line is:
There's no sign of cracking going on, only maintenance on idlers and bearings. Last season on the ProAction I welded up the skid twice during season, with the ZX-2 it have been gas and go for me and my buddy :)

mdkuni - Please report back on the valving when you have rough enough trails to have something to report.

Jan-Ove

Getting close to 5,000 miles, about 4,800 now. After sending my shocks back to be set to stock settings I am blown away by this skid all over again. I should have never touched it. I can pound through some large moguls and it is so smooth and plush. What a ride!

Original hyfax are still on. They are getting close to be changed so I am keeping a close eye on them. I am guessing another 1,000 miles or so.

Skid still seems to be in good shape. Same wear marks as posted earlier in this tread.

With having the tunnel protectors removed my ice build up is gone. The track is now hitting the y-pipes though. That track really must balloon when riding.

My shock busings were removed and measured here is some important info for you guys:

New bushings measure at: .060"
ADBoivin recommends them being changed at .020"

Mine measured .033" so I will not be changing them yet. Maybe when I do my first hyfax change.

With the tunnel protectors removed, do you still have the vibrations as before?

I rode Friday with the revolver settings at 1/5 and preload at 5 on the new springs. Seemed to be great. I was riding with my son so I was not able to get the full feel but it seems to be a great improvement. I will report back after next ride. I hope all you guys had a great holiday and have a happy and SAFE New Year!

Shane - was it hard setting the pins at 1/5, if I recall the manual correctly 1/5 should not be possible, but I could be wrong :)
Anyway tell us how she runs when you've got some more seat time. How did it affect the front end and steering?

About 6,000 miles on the skid. I lost two revolver pins from the same location both times. I was able to find pins at Home Depot that are the same length but have a larger spring loaded ball. Since installing one of those pins I have not lost it since. I went and bought another one to add to my toolkit for a spare.

Believe it or not but the original hyfax are still holding up. In the monoshock I would be through at least 3 sets by now.

One thing I have been working on with this skid is trying to get the front end up higher. With the rear of the sled raised with the ZX2 there seems to be less traction and the front is really working in the bumps. Cranking up the preload on the front shocks helps but then messes with ski lift. I will be trying stiffer springs for the front shocks and will report back.

Also, lost one pin (again). What department did carry the pin at Home Depot?

Do you think I can use a bold instead of a pin?

Yummy said:

It is in hardware and they have a row of bins labeled hard to find parts. It is a hitch pin.

I have used a bolt in the past and there is no reason why a bolt would not work. It is a pain to install it and you must be carefull to not tighten the nut too far. Remember the pin does not clamp the revolver at all.

mdkuni said:
Yummy said:

It is in hardware and they have a row of bins labeled hard to find parts. It is a hitch pin.

I have used a bolt in the past and there is no reason why a bolt would not work. It is a pain to install it and you must be carefull to not tighten the nut too far. Remember the pin does not clamp the revolver at all.

Use a Ny-loc nut and you should be good to go.

Back