• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

AD Boivin ZX2 Durability & Performance Log

mdkuni said:
One thing I have been working on with this skid is trying to get the front end up higher. With the rear of the sled raised with the ZX2 there seems to be less traction and the front is really working in the bumps. Cranking up the preload on the front shocks helps but then messes with ski lift. I will be trying stiffer springs for the front shocks and will report back.

I cranked my all apex converted front end as hard as she would go, made the sled handle much better. Its the opposite advice I normally get on here. I just keep adjusting and finally found this setting to be the best. It rails in the corners if I tuck up around the fuel tank and lean. I love this suspension combo!

I ride mine the same, close to the tank and lean into turn hard, then I can hold pretty hi speed thru the turns. My front end is at a minimum of 50 lbs and maximum at 70 lbs, depending on conditions. I have never been left behind by any "lightweight" 2smokers either.

considering the zx2 and looking for advice

I have 2006 Apex GT with pilot 5.9 skis. I am considering the ZX2 upgrade. I love the weight transfer of the GT mono. Will I be disappointed with the zx2? Also, looking for advice on extending to 136" if I upgrade the the zx2 skid.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!!

The zx2 flat out rocks. Your performance in smaller stutter bumps will be worse then with the mono however members are working on a revalve that is taking care of that. It takes a beating and wears MUCH slower then any other skid out there.

My only beefs are they advertise no snow will stick, that is BS, they also advertise easy adjustment with the pins trailside...that is bs. NO WAY To adjust this once its seen snow. I have to thaw it out in my heated garage and then make a adjustment if I want to. Good news is once you get it set right you never really mess with it, but there are times I wanted to give it max transfer to show off and quickly revert back to having ski pressure again and its not possible on the trail.

thanks for the feedback kinger!

It is hard to give up the electonic adj on the GT. Sounds like it is worth it though.

rock doc said:
thanks for the feedback kinger!

It is hard to give up the electonic adj on the GT. Sounds like it is worth it though.

I guess I would like to know what your true reason for upgrading to the ZX2 is?

A revalved mono is hard to beat in comfort. If you are aggressive and are breaking the mono then no question go for the ZX2. If you like the ride of the mono and are just looking for something better I am not sure this is the right choice. Have you done any shock work to your mono?

The ZX2 is a great skid and I love it! Just trying to help you make an educated decision is all.

kinger said:
mdkuni said:
One thing I have been working on with this skid is trying to get the front end up higher. With the rear of the sled raised with the ZX2 there seems to be less traction and the front is really working in the bumps. Cranking up the preload on the front shocks helps but then messes with ski lift. I will be trying stiffer springs for the front shocks and will report back.

I cranked my all apex converted front end as hard as she would go, made the sled handle much better. Its the opposite advice I normally get on here. I just keep adjusting and finally found this setting to be the best. It rails in the corners if I tuck up around the fuel tank and lean. I love this suspension combo!

kinger,

You cranked up the preload and it rails? No kidding? I have Ohlins shocks up front. Any idea just how far I should try? Thanks in advance.

Shane

just bought one

Hi everyone,
thanks for all the feedback and info in this thread. I just bought a zx2. I hope it was the right choice. I do mostly trail riding but seem occassionally to get adventurous. The main reason why I decided to go for this skid are:

1) I was not convienced that the wire reroute for the electorinc adj. would be a long term fix. I was into $200 just for a new selinoid
2) I can't keep hyfax on the mono. If I kept the mono I would need to install 2 sets of idlers/marginal snow kit for $150.
3) I have the big boy spring, which made the shock pre-load darn near imposible to adjust trail side
4) I would have had to revalve the shock, which was another $150
5) I plan to extend my skid to 136" when my current track it worn out.
6) I was able to sell my mono skid and big boy spring to offset some of the purchase cost

At the end of the day I still had to fork out some serious quid to do this update. I'm also losing the electronic adj on my GT. I hope it turns out to be the right move. I'll keep you posted.

Any questions on install and tune of the ZX-2 just ask, a lot of us have many miles on the skid.

thanks rxrider

To be honest my Apex has been a little disappointing in the reliability deparment. I've be riding sleds a long time and bought an Apex so I wouldn't have to wrench. I ride in some remote areas and it is imparative that the sled be reliable. Since buying this machine I have spent $$ and time trying to get the stock skid to perform. In my opinion, the "weight transfer rod" is a terrible design. I am disappointed that you can pay that kind of money and get a machine that overheats, has terrible skis and an eletronic adj. that lasted about 300 miles before the wire was ripped out. If if wasn't for this forum I would have been screwed on addressing these issues. As far as Yamaha was concerned there were no design flaws. Interesting enough I had an 2009 Apex out on demo last week-end and the overheating issue is unresolved. I didn't check to see if they come stock with the extra cooler. I just handed the keys back and smiled.

Having said all that, I have gradually worked out the bugs and have started enjoying the machine. The motor is just sooo nice and it handles well in the trails with my pilot 5.9s. It helps that I also have an R1 in my garage sitting right beside the Apex :yam: It is a nice sight to see when I open the bay door.

Lets hope that this skid is a marriage made in heaven!!

AGAIN...THANKS TO EVERONE THAT HAVE TAKEN THE TIME TO POST THEIR INFO!!

Re: thanks rxrider

rock doc said:
To be honest my Apex has been a little disappointing in the reliability deparment. I've be riding sleds a long time and bought an Apex so I wouldn't have to wrench. I ride in some remote areas and it is imparative that the sled be reliable. Since buying this machine I have spent $$ and time trying to get the stock skid to perform. In my opinion, the "weight transfer rod" is a terrible design. I am disappointed that you can pay that kind of money and get a machine that overheats, has terrible skis and an eletronic adj. that lasted about 300 miles before the wire was ripped out. If if wasn't for this forum I would have been screwed on addressing these issues. As far as Yamaha was concerned there were no design flaws. Interesting enough I had an 2009 Apex out on demo last week-end and the overheating issue is unresolved. I didn't check to see if they come stock with the extra cooler. I just handed the keys back and smiled.

Having said all that, I have gradually worked out the bugs and have started enjoying the machine. The motor is just sooo nice and it handles well in the trails with my pilot 5.9s. It helps that I also have an R1 in my garage sitting right beside the Apex :yam: It is a nice sight to see when I open the bay door.

Lets hope that this skid is a marriage made in heaven!!

AGAIN...THANKS TO EVERONE THAT HAVE TAKEN THE TIME TO POST THEIR INFO!!

I feel your pain. Although I never had an overheating problem. There are many solutions for that on this forum. I do not run a rear exchanger.

The ZX2 solved 30-40% of the problems with my Apex. This skid is going to cost me because I do not know how I will ride another sled without buying another ZX2!

I can't believe this but I am pushing 7,000 miles on this skid with the original hyfax and no damage that I have noticed!

Shane said:
kinger said:
mdkuni said:

kinger,

You cranked up the preload and it rails? No kidding? I have Ohlins shocks up front. Any idea just how far I should try? Thanks in advance.

Shane

Yeah I have the GYTR and have the preload nuts screwed up as high as they will go, now i just adjust the compression or rebound for the conditions with the clicker and go. I'm not sure if the apex front end on my RX would apply to you, what I usually do is crank them full up then full off (one turn from the spring coming loose) and then I can see the difference and error on the side that I like better.

rock doc - The zx2 is a awesome skid I really really like mine, it makes the sled fun in the rough stuff. Someone on here is working a revalve stack that will help with the stutter bump performance. Its very soft through the stutters but it does bounce through them vs glide over them like the mono. The trade off is worth it though when you get into the big nasties even if you dont like riding through it you will after the ZX2.

We have really poor conditions for riding down here and I swapped with a buddy on a rec with the doo SC4 rear in it and that suspension almost rode better then the ZX2 in the crappy condiitons but bottomed out easier which was painful. Once we get the small stutter bumps to disappear the skid will be the cats meow.

kinger said:
Yeah I have the GYTR and have the preload nuts screwed up as high as they will go, now i just adjust the compression or rebound for the conditions with the clicker and go. I'm not sure if the apex front end on my RX would apply to you, what I usually do is crank them full up then full off (one turn from the spring coming loose) and then I can see the difference and error on the side that I like better.

Kinger you have me confused. Are you cranking the preload up so the springs are compressed or do you have your springs loose and one turn tighter.

Glad to hear that the skid holds up

I hope I get that kind of mileage out of mine.

The rear exchanger worked great for all of us.

What are the other 60-70% of the problems that you had? How did you fix them? I think mine should be all worked out with the exception of the cold hand grips. I still run the stock low windshield with bushguards on the bars.

One of the guys just bought the new 1200 turbo Cat. I'll be curious to see how the Apex performs compared to it. I rode the new Doo 800 last week-end and it was excellent too.
The sled market is heating up!!

Back