• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Adapt Cat clutch

You could use the Yamaha Secondary but like yamamarc indicated not without modifications. I am pretty sure KnappAttack experimented with a Team Primary and wide belt off a Tcat and a Yamaha secondary with mods a few years back.

This guy has a xs 825 belt on it.
70209.jpeg

Yes. The cover is broken around the bolt on both bolts shown. It should have a shoulder that goes over the top of the tower where its notched
Thats a defective cover or the bolts were over torqued IMO. Did you blow a belt at wfo by chance? Wondering if maybe when the clutch halves slapped together it stressed the cover?

Sorry to see the damaged clutch. I doubt any stock clutch can take big tunes and big speed for too long. I know most people are not made of cubic dollars but it has been my experience that a drivetrain designed for XX HP may not hold up when you put XXX HP against it. I first learned this as a kid when we put a 327 in a Chevy Vega. The rear end lasted one weekend LOL. Not sure what the new cat clutch is designed to live with when big power is applied.

On early Tcats we twisted the jack shafts when adding HP and hooked them hard on the ice. We ended up having better shafts built by a tool company. My point is that we need to invest in the drivetrain when we add big HP. I bit the bullet on TAPP on my 1100 a couple of years ago and have been happy with it. High power will always try and find the next weak link in the drive train be it clutches, belts, shafts, gears, etc.

Why not mod the secondary to accept the wider belt? Or could you run a team tss o4?

Thats a defective cover or the bolts were over torqued IMO. Did you blow a belt at wfo by chance? Wondering if maybe when the clutch halves slapped together it stressed the cover?
When I install a cover I wind 3 bolts in(every other hole), trying the keep the cover as straight as possible. Once I get the cover mated to the towers, I wind the other 3 bolts in and torque all 6 bolts by hand afterward. The weird thing is I had just made a pull, turned around and started back up the trail, got to about 25-30mph and heard a grinding noise like the top gear popped out. I grabbed the brake to keep it from turning then hit the throttle once the noise stopped and the belt grenaded into 1000 pieces

When I install a cover I wind 3 bolts in(every other hole), trying the keep the cover as straight as possible. Once I get the cover mated to the towers, I wind the other 3 bolts in and torque all 6 bolts by hand afterward. The weird thing is I had just made a pull, turned around and started back up the trail, got to about 25-30mph and heard a grinding noise like the top gear popped out. I grabbed the brake to keep it from turning then hit the throttle once the noise stopped and the belt grenaded into 1000 pieces
10-4, just curious because typically cover bolts are around 96inch lbs or so.........not very tight really. Wouldnt take much to overtorque them but just as well could be a defective cover. Not sure about the grinding noise but safe to say it was belt related if it blew apart seconds later lol

Stock cover bolts are very torque sensitive. 911 cover included. I still go back to the video when the guy mentions how light and small the cover is on that clutch. Betting the power of a tuned sled could be a factor for the “lightweight” cover on this clutch

10-4, just curious because typically cover bolts are around 96inch lbs or so.........not very tight really. Wouldnt take much to overtorque them but just as well could be a defective cover. Not sure about the grinding noise but safe to say it was belt related if it blew apart seconds later lol
No question. I threw a belt on and rode it home with no noises or problems but it makes me curious as to what happened first.... did it blow a belt and that caused the shoulder to break, or did the shoulder break and go through the clutch and ruin the belt?

No question. I threw a belt on and rode it home with no noises or problems but it makes me curious as to what happened first.... did it blow a belt and that caused the shoulder to break, or did the shoulder break and go through the clutch and ruin the belt?
My guess is the last option of the two

Back