• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ADAPT Clutch Set Up

Nice looking cover! Anxious to see if these new covers eliminate the issues some where having with stock cover.
It does look like a nice piece. It's quite a bit beefier than the cover they made last year. It weighs about 12 grams more than the stock cover, but hopefully it takes care of the cover problem. I agree with your previous comment about the helix. Even on the Thundercat in loose conditions, that 58-49 is a little too much.

I just installed the Bikeman cover to replace the cover I broke last winter. I thought I'd give it a try as they say it reduces clutch temps 40-50 degrees. I don't necessarily believe much of what I read on there, but figured it was worth a shot!
Hey Slow998, I have one of those on order. With my 270hp tune I’m hoping to keep the clutch cooler as Bikeman claims. And I hope it’s stronger than the stock cover.

Hey Slow998, I have one of those on order. With my 270hp tune I’m hoping to keep the clutch cooler as Bikeman claims. And I hope it’s stronger than the stock cover.
It is undoubtedly stronger than the stock cover and I'm sure it will help push air around the clutches as I felt a little heat on my left foot on the short run I did with it after the install.

It does look like a nice piece. It's quite a bit beefier than the cover they made last year. It weighs about 12 grams more than the stock cover, but hopefully it takes care of the cover problem. I agree with your previous comment about the helix. Even on the Thundercat in loose conditions, that 58-49 is a little too much.
Ya and the riots geared low and has good traction so id imagine with smaller lug track and taller gears it may even act worse.
Wish I would of weighed the ssi cover to compare to stock, next time I guess

Adapt clutch factory shift out. Goes right up to the cord line.
26A25CFF-E0A6-4179-A190-36E2C6B86D95.jpeg

got some testing in this evening and tonight but its snowing and visibility is really poor and supposed to get 10-15" so will resume another time.. the factory helix is on the shelf and thats where it is staying, stock or tuned In my opinion its not the right choice for these sleds. Even with a torsion conversion wound up tight it slips...... Even on my wifes riot and shes wayy lighter than me. With an ultimax im sure slip would be minimized but wasnt impressed with backshift regardless. Factory cat weights are a bit tip heavy and with the steep helix they are using makes for an inconsistant setup. Running speedwerx weights which are same curvature of cat weights but slightly less mass in the tips. They are adjustable in body and tip pretty much same as daltons setup for adapt. Went with a shallower progressive helix with a much tighter degree spread. Was happy with results on stock tune, clutches look good and run cooler. Flashed to hurricane 240ss and added 4.3 grams for a total of 70.3 grams(took a guess as a starting point) and rpms are too high, will likely end up adding a bit more weight to tips and more in the body and guessing ill be in the 73-74 gram range all said and done using cat belt for now. Cruise rpms at 40, 50, 60,70 and 85 are within 100 rpm of factory calibration. Cat went light weights/steep helix and I ended up kinda the other way with heavier weight and shallower helix but backshift is greatly improved , response is awesome and temps are down and pull is great and also important, its consistent. Still more work to do but made alot of progress today in short time. sleds starting to feel like I was hoping it would.

I just installed the Bikeman cover to replace the cover I broke last winter. I thought I'd give it a try as they say it reduces clutch temps 40-50 degrees. I don't necessarily believe much of what I read on there, but figured it was worth a shot!
If anything the cover looks like it will move some air around the clutch compartment.

got some testing in this evening and tonight but its snowing and visibility is really poor and supposed to get 10-15" so will resume another time.. the factory helix is on the shelf and thats where it is staying, stock or tuned In my opinion its not the right choice for these sleds. Even with a torsion conversion wound up tight it slips...... Even on my wifes riot and shes wayy lighter than me. With an ultimax im sure slip would be minimized but wasnt impressed with backshift regardless. Factory cat weights are a bit tip heavy and with the steep helix they are using makes for an inconsistant setup. Running speedwerx weights which are same curvature of cat weights but slightly less mass in the tips. They are adjustable in body and tip pretty much same as daltons setup for adapt. Went with a shallower progressive helix with a much tighter degree spread. Was happy with results on stock tune, clutches look good and run cooler. Flashed to hurricane 240ss and added 4.3 grams for a total of 70.3 grams(took a guess as a starting point) and rpms are too high, will likely end up adding a bit more weight to tips and more in the body and guessing ill be in the 73-74 gram range all said and done using cat belt for now. Cruise rpms at 40, 50, 60,70 and 85 are within 100 rpm of factory calibration. Cat went light weights/steep helix and I ended up kinda the other way with heavier weight and shallower helix but backshift is greatly improved , response is awesome and temps are down and pull is great and also important, its consistent. Still more work to do but made alot of progress today in short time. sleds starting to feel like I was hoping it would.
Thank you for the information. What kind helix angle are you using with the heavier weight up front?

Thank you for the information. What kind helix angle are you using with the heavier weight up front?
sorry just seeing this. Im using a speedwerx 46/44 with 160/235 spring, 100/250 spring up front. Switched to 827 ultimax belt and temps are better than factory setup with both ultimax and cat belt. In my limited experience heavier setups are more forgiving, more consistant to changing conditions and provide better belt grab. Currently at 69 grams with ultimax belt but still working on fine tuning but its crazy cold(-60f last night) in northern maine this weekend so going to resume another day.

sorry just seeing this. Im using a speedwerx 46/44 with 160/235 spring, 100/250 spring up front. Switched to 827 ultimax belt and temps are better than factory setup with both ultimax and cat belt. In my limited experience heavier setups are more forgiving, more consistant to changing conditions and provide better belt grab. Currently at 69 grams with ultimax belt but still working on fine tuning but its crazy cold(-60f last night) in northern maine this weekend so going to resume another day.
Thank you for the reply. The 827 is a better compound to use in the old Acat clutch. I will be breaking one in next week. We notice a 200rpm drop with the 827 using the old Acat clutches since it bites better. I assume the same will occur with the new clutches.

Thank you for the reply. The 827 is a better compound to use in the old Acat clutch. I will be breaking one in next week. We notice a 200rpm drop with the 827 using the old Acat clutches since it bites better. I assume the same will occur with the new clutches.
Yes very clean sheaves and no dust with 827. With factory helix and spring I had some heat in secondary with 827, not too bad but temp went down with 46/44 and pull is instant. Glad people are starting to share some tuning info with these clutches

Have another broken cover on another 23 Thundercat. From what I can tell, if you stay in the throttle when the sled stops upshifting (trying to squeeze mph in less than ideal conditions), it puts too much pressure on the primary and flexes the towers.

116781C9-D50B-4353-84E4-AD54EEB75DD5.jpeg
34D2AA08-A5F2-4501-A2CD-B34ED632220E.jpeg

So the cover hits before sheaves touch? Any changes on those? Are they shimmed

So the cover hits before sheaves touch? Any changes on those? Are they shimmed
No, but in soft now conditions if it can't shift out fully and you stay wide open throttle, it seems like that's when they've been breaking the cover.

So sucking belt down in secondary and over shift with 58/49?
Is there a lot of heat too

Back