• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex clutch on Sidewinder

Are the early apex clutches the same as the later ones? Since i had to machine
.060" off the split collar and. 030 off each face to get the belt up high, before that it was a dog

The Apex clutches from 2006-2010 have the allen screws that hold the roller pins in place....the 2011-and later did not have the allen screws that hold the roller pin. Everything else is the same.

We machine for overdrive and the results are the same.

I just scored a 2017 Viper clutch for $200! Looking forward to trying it out next year and hopefully not having to change rollers every other weekend.

You will have less trouble, I can tell you that!

Good score on that clutch!

I know, thats it and what I recall seeing as well, but how is it happening with same angles, same belt and same dia it shifts to on the primary? Doesn't add up. Only way to get more OD is shift belt up the primary higher or further into the secondary, or use a wider belt. How does that happen with same angles, same belt and belt rides to the same dia on the primaries?

A wider belt by .020" in same length will provide a 2% higher OD as shown by Racepac computer jackshaft and engine speed.

Typically as had been said, is best speed is had staying out of OD. Well unless your drag racing and run em right outta gear thru OD and picking revs before the finish line. Most all trail sleds are geared to stay out of OD, but with the power of the turbos its easy to slip the belt in the primary down low on the holeshot with high gearing and good traction, high gearing is harder on belts also so what do you do? Find a clutch setup to bite the belt harder!
How high does the belt ride in your apex clutch on the winder?If you took .030 thou. off both faces and .060 thou off the split collar then match the helix you could gain 10mph

What size rollers are you guys running in the Apex/Viper clutches? The Viper clutch I purchased has 16.5mm rollers. My 15mm G force rollers from my sidewinder clutch will only fit the Viper clutch without washers on both sides as they are a wider roller. I'm concerned that without the washers the rollers will wear into the aluminum.

Last edited:
I'm running stock 03 RX-1 15.5 MM rollers as I recall in the 03 RX-1 clutch with the RX-1 thinner washers.

RX-1 and old Apex clutch has been fantastic for my buddy and I. Neither of us has experienced roller eating like we did with the Sidewinder primary continually. Both of us actually pickup up acceleration going to them over the Winder primaries too. Roller issues are a thing of the past now.

I'm convinced the Winder primary is weak and lacking in either engineering, material or the design of them compared to the old primaries. Why Yamaha continues to use it is beyond me. Nothing about the Winder primary is better, NOTHING!

Figured I'd add my 2 cents after running a Viper primary for 4 weekends so far this winter. I probably have 80 plus 1320' passes in so far this winter and the TP rollers I installed new at the beginning of the winter still look like new. On my sidewinder primary last year I'd need a new set of rollers every weekend. I'm happy with this clutch so far.

Bringing this back up. Anyone running a STOCK tune Sidewinder with an RX-1/Apex clutch? If so what was your weight set up? Daltons? G-Force? Stock weights?
I am putting an RX-1 clutch on my Sidewinder and am going stock tune for a few hundred miles. I was going to run some G-Force magnetic weights, because I have them, and was going to just add @ 3 grams per weight for a total of 73 grams per weight.
Looking back through my notes on these weights it seems as though it will not be enough. The profile on the G-Force weight is a little more aggressive.

I am running stock winder with an Apex clutch.
I got my kit from Thunder products, spot on.
Big Venom Sidewinder Kit
For my weight 57.9 grams
they loaded the Heavy Hitter weights for me.

:sled1::rocks:

Bringing this back up. Anyone running a STOCK tune Sidewinder with an RX-1/Apex clutch? If so what was your weight set up? Daltons? G-Force? Stock weights?
I am putting an RX-1 clutch on my Sidewinder and am going stock tune for a few hundred miles. I was going to run some G-Force magnetic weights, because I have them, and was going to just add @ 3 grams per weight for a total of 73 grams per weight.
Looking back through my notes on these weights it seems as though it will not be enough. The profile on the G-Force weight is a little more aggressive.
Stain, you need to be 5 grams heavier on each weight..... that being said, if a manufacturer has a setup, call them, find out what setup for stock and add 5 grams.

I am running stock winder with an Apex clutch.
I got my kit from Thunder products, spot on.
Big Venom Sidewinder Kit
For my weight 57.9 grams
they loaded the Heavy Hitter weights for me.

:sled1::rocks:

Thank you for the response! We, at Thunder Products Clutching spend countless hours making sure setups are as close as can be or spot on. No matter what the tune or primary clutch.

Stain, you need to be 5 grams heavier on each weight..... that being said, if a manufacturer has a setup, call them, find out what setup for stock and add 5 grams.

Thank you for the response! We, at Thunder Products Clutching spend countless hours making sure setups are as close as can be or spot on. No matter what the tune or primary clutch.
Is that with the 8jp belt?
What about a xs825 belt?

Installed RX-1 clutch tonight. Set offset with Hurricane tool. Ended up taking the only shim out to make it the offset correct.
I should have measured the stock clutch first to see if there is a difference but I am not that smart.....

Buddy and I never saw the need to run heavier on the old clutches, I know we should have but never did. Perhaps the winder primaries were sticking that bad I dont know, but we both ran the same setup in the old RX-1 and Apex clutches. They certainly slid up and own easier than the winder primaries that is certain.

Buddy and I never saw the need to run heavier on the old clutches, I know we should have but never did. Perhaps the winder primaries were sticking that bad I dont know, but we both ran the same setup in the old RX-1 and Apex clutches. They certainly slid up and own easier than the winder primaries that is certain.
How much weight where you able to drop in the primary by going to the Hi Torque secondary rollers? Did the rollers effect your choice of spring and/or helix angle? I have a set on order and am waiting to test the difference in my clutch press/scale vs. the stock ones.
The amount of slop in the factory rollers was surprising.

How much weight is dependent so much on how the sled runs.
If you are running tunes 270 or bigger with the stock intercooler you are loosing hp due to intake temps being too hot.
Boost leaks.
Fuel supply issues in stock form.
With all systems working (intake, exhaust, fuel and electrical) as they should for demands will see different clutch weights being used.
Someone may be pulling 76 grams and another pulling 81 grams with the rest of clutching the same.
These sleds are more than just add tunes and go.

Back