• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Arctic Cat updates Catalyst lower driveshaft ,disc brake bearing fit with bushing

Country
USA
Snowmobile
Renegade 900 ACE,XF 9000 Crosstour
After 13 years of no fix on the pro cross chassis,it appears that item #18 bushing have been added for a better fit to the driveshaft bearing journal.

Attachments

• IMG_0128.png
    IMG_0128.png
    170.2 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_0129.jpg
    IMG_0129.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

The M sleds have had that bushing/seal since 2018.
Not sure what it's for?

Looks pretty much the same as what's in the pro cross chassis for drive shaft at brake caliper and bearing design.

Watch this video on Facebook

Looks pretty much the same as what's in the pro cross chassis for drive shaft at brake caliper and bearing design.

Watch this video on Facebook
Man that does look so easy though! I wonder if they would make a reverse system for a 4st that was like a Goldwing and could use the starter? Sure like the Belt drive.

It sure appears obvious from the video that they didn't fix the ProCross spinning bearing on the shaft at all without a lock on the bearing to the shaft. Could they have botched it all over AGAIN from the factory? They couldn't be that stupid again could they? Or is it just the fact the engineers don't care if the shaft lasts the life of the machine?

One more thing, if the eccentric on that cog belt moves the shaft around on the mag side, how do they keep the shaft/belt alignment on the PTO side? Does the eccentric also move the PTO side the same to keep alignment of the shaft in the chassis? sure doesn't appear like it to me. Either way, the belt is going to be affected wether in deflection or alignment. Deflection wouldn't be bad, but alignment would be......

Looks to me this wasn't though thru at all and there's more to learn, but I'd bet its all messed up and poor engineering again from the engineers, or they just don't care again about belt and clutch alignment. Another debacle. You'd think they learn from on the old Z1. Maybe the low power of the 600 and 858 wont blow belts, but start putting some 998 power to it and it will!

Funny people find this video great, I find A LOT of these disturbing things in it that got overlooked and make a big impact. The more I think about it, the more I question these idiotic engineering SNAFUs at Textron/Cat. How can they overlook the obvious?

Last edited:
It sure appears obvious from the video that they didn't fix the ProCross spinning bearing on the shaft at all without a lock on the bearing to the shaft. Could they have botched it all over AGAIN from the factory? They couldn't be that stupid again could they? Or is it just the fact the engineers don't care if the shaft lasts the life of the machine?

One more thing, if the eccentric on that cog belt moves the shaft around on the mag side, how do they keep the shaft/belt alignment on the PTO side? Does the eccentric also move the PTO side the same to keep alignment of the shaft in the chassis? sure doesn't appear like it to me. Either way, the belt is going to be affected wether in deflection or alignment. Deflection wouldn't be bad, but alignment would be......

Looks to me this wasn't though thru at all and there's more to learn, but I'd bet its all messed up and poor engineering again from the engineers, or they just don't care again about belt and clutch alignment. Another debacle. You'd think they learn from on the old Z1. Maybe the low power of the 600 and 858 wont blow belts, but start putting some 998 power to it and it will!

Funny people find this video great, I find A LOT of these disturbing things in it that got overlooked and make a big impact. The more I think about it, the more I question these idiotic engineering SNAFUs at Textron/Cat. How can they overlook the obvious?
Oh crap slap me into reality! You are right of course. I am always preaching about the shaft parallel being so important on our Procrosses for Upper gear bushing wear too! And of course belts. Thanks for reality check. Just got a bit excited over possibilities. They did improve the bulkhead to tunnel mounting vs the Prototypes. Looks very strong now on Production Catalyst I saw. Big steel plate vs the two bolts just bolting it to outside of tunnel on Prototypes.

as Knapp states, the eccentric bearing based on diff ratio of upper gear will change defletion of drive belt.... how much?? my thoughts are they prob made it set at perfect alignment with new cog belt and stock gear, given the length of shaft and prob only 2mm max adjustment on eccentric belt tensioner.. prob wont equate to much movement on clutch side.

as Knapp states, the eccentric bearing based on diff ratio of upper gear will change defletion of drive belt.... how much?? my thoughts are they prob made it set at perfect alignment with new cog belt and stock gear, given the length of shaft and prob only 2mm max adjustment on eccentric belt tensioner.. prob wont equate to much movement on clutch side.

Go look at the video again. You can see there appears to be more movement than that in the eccentric.

Maybe my 23 with ESP will be my last sled purchase anyway, but I had hopes to see a turbo four-stroke in this chassis with EPS, seeing the few things in this video I'm not sure Textron/Cat knows how to build a good long lasting machine without the aftermarkets help. Just find it crazy the couple problems I can see with it already.

I have very little interest in anything the manufacturers are producing in new models and I don't see any viable SW replacement that I would purchase after they are gone.
The 850 turbo Ski Doo is cool but I don't want another two stroke trail sled ever.
Sad that from all indications there will be no EPS sleds available.
My current SW will probably be my last new sled purchase as well, but a late model, low mileage, Winder with EPS may be in my future some where down the road.

I have very little interest in anything the manufacturers are producing in new models and I don't see any viable SW replacement that I would purchase after they are gone.
The 850 turbo Ski Doo is cool but I don't want another two stroke trail sled ever.
Sad that from all indications there will be no EPS sleds available.
My current SW will probably be my last new sled purchase as well, but a late model, low mileage, Winder with EPS may be in my future some where down the road.
Feeling the same, even if Cat comes out with a 4 stroke Turbo, can't see how they will fit power steering in there. And yes I still think I need power steering in a lighter 4 stroke turbo :)

If it moves the eccentric even 2 mm" x it by the distance over to the Secondary. Its alot at the other end. Aftermarket will offer a spring loaded tensioner. Problem solved. Probably will need 2 since engine reverse will require the second one. Weight/Cost saving will be gone for sure.

Back