• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

BACK FIRING BEWARE

cobrajet ltx dx

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 yamaha ltx dx
887B2D86-77CA-4F78-A462-F74B414ABE9C.jpeg DC7EF878-F883-4310-A667-A33AC946B344.jpeg In 2017 my sled backfired so loud it blew it wide open and had to get it replaced in Quebec on a trip.
This year went on a trip to Quebec after Christmas and it backfired 3x at -30 but never blew apart.
Just completed a 2k saddlebag trip and when I got home I pulled the muffler because it didn’t sound right.
Well quests what!!!!!!!

Guys pull your mufflers and inspect.

View attachment 138015 View attachment 138016 In 2017 my sled backfired so loud it blew it wide open and had to get it replaced in Quebec on a trip.
This year went on a trip to Quebec after Christmas and it backfired 3x at -30 but never blew apart.
Just completed a 2k saddlebag trip and when I got home I pulled the muffler because it didn’t sound right.
Well quests what!!!!!!!

Guys pull your mufflers and inspect.
Wow!

Backfire while riding or attempting to start, just to clarify? Mine, with the 17' update mapping, likes to "pop" on failed starting attempts below -15*f. I've never experienced one while riding, not even little lean pops during deceleration like my Phazer gets once in awhile. Not sure my Can has enough back pressure to blow like the stock suitcase would.

Severe cold backfire on startup only,
Runs flawlessly otherwise.
It all started once my sled was flashed with latest software.
It never started like a 4 stroke should when new in cold weather but never had this SHOT GUN BLAST.

Btw that pick is showing the back side of muffler, the front side is not damaged so that’s why I said pull your mufflers and inspect if your sled backfired on startup.

My sled had had some awful loud backfires on starting and I heard my buddies XTX just blew the back right out of his muffler.

Last edited:
Yea... I came back 3 days early from my trip because my riding partner got sick.
If I kept riding, it would of blew the coolant hose or melted the mag cover cap off and I would have expelled my oil in the motor.

AND YAMAHA DOES NOTHING!!!!!

Yea... I came back 3 days early from my trip because my riding partner got sick.
If I kept riding, it would of blew the coolant hose or melted the mag cover cap off and I would have expelled my oil in the motor.

AND YAMAHA DOES NOTHING!!!!!
I assume this is with new flash?

Yes sir... latest flash and the Yamaha rep at my dealer said my original mapping was not available to be reinstalled.
You have to understand....
I’m a Senior master technician with Subaru with 22 yrs of experience and this fuel mapping is unacceptable.I know more than the average owner and I on a weekly basis deal with drivability issues that I work with field service engineers changing mapping to FIX THE PROBLEM FOR THE CUSTOMER.
We should not have to spend all this money in the aftermarket world to get these sleds to preform in SNOWMOBILE CONDITIONS.
More owners should be PISSED about this and letting Yamaha know about it.
Nothing personal, love this forum and all of the members helping each other and that’s why I’m a LIFETIME MEMBER.
Sorry for the RANT.

In my professional world there is term called resault and damage.
My YES warranty keeps fixing the damage.
Yamaha is dragging there feet fixing the resault to the damage.
Doesn’t matter what new technology they bring to the table each year, it’s going to catch up with them with POOR customer satisfaction.

I've said this many times, I believe this problem is beyond a mapping issue. There is way to much inconsistency from one sled to the next no matter what version of flash is being ran.

The only flash that I've heard of that is suppose to help is offered by Evolution Power Sports but there is such a small percentage of sleds out there running their flash it's probably not a fair assumption to say they have found the fix. Most EVO flashes are also modified sled flashes so there's very few done on stock Vipers running 87 octane and at a cost of $500 I'm not willing to test it.

You just justified might whole point.
The design and function of our NA VIPER ENGINE MANAGMENT SYSTEM is very weak in a wide range of climate conditions.
Yamaha is fully capable of correcting it.

Just want them to GET IT DONE!!!!!

Yamaha is fully capable of correcting it.

Are they?

I tend to believe that the original agreement between these companies might have limited Yamaha involvement and control of this. This is not a merger of the two companies but rather a legal agreement to share parts which most likely hinders Yamaha from getting their fingers inside the Cat ECU. I'm sure Yamaha gave the correct parameters to Cat to run this engine but it doesn't mean that Cat stuck to those and that their electronics are even capable of supporting the required parameters set by Yamaha. Because Yamaha got more involved with the Sidewinder which went back to a Yamaha ECU you don't see these same issues. The bottom line is that Arctic Cat's ECU is flawed and Yamaha probably doesn't have the authority to make changes to it.

If they market a sled line with there BRANDING and sell said units to the consumer then they have the responsibility as a company to correct said FLAWS.
If they hide behind your said comments and only focus on there SIDEWINDER PRODUCT LINE then they should be slapped with damaging LAWSUITS AND REFUND PEOPLES HARD EARNED MONEY they spent on there viper line and fade away.
That’s not how you survive in the competitive snowmobile business.

If they market a sled line with there BRANDING and sell said units to the consumer then they have the responsibility as a company to correct said FLAWS.
If they hide behind your said comments and only focus on there SIDEWINDER PRODUCT LINE then they should be slapped with damaging LAWSUITS AND REFUND PEOPLES HARD EARNED MONEY they spent on there viper line and fade away.
That’s not how you survive in the competitive snowmobile business.
It sucks We all know that. It’s not a secret that the run quality of a Viper is not what it should be. For some like Yellowknife it was so bad he had to get a SkiDoo. Others like me live with the quirks and frankly am sick of talking about it. I won’t buy another Viper for sure and am very hesitant to buy any Yamaha right now. You have a choice. Live with it and enjoy what works or just get something else. Sorry to be so rude but is what it is.

Yamaha is obviously moving away from the snowmobile business and instead becoming an engine supplier. I don't think that they focused on the Sidewinder seeing how they don't build that chassis either. Yamaha directed their attention toward a new high performance turbo engine that was most likely developed and installed in the Cat chassis under a new legal agreement which allowed them to step away from Arctic Cat's attempt to provide engine control.

If you're unhappy with the way you spend your hard earned money you always have the right to spend it elsewhere.

Last edited:

Back