• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

belt issue

so i was riding the nice groomed trails in the u.p. last week when i blew my 1st belt with 300 miles on it....put a new one on and it lasted 28miles and blew....the cluthes are alligned so thats not the issude....the belt is blowing from the outside and not the inside.....looks like the belts are over heating....they were both straight from yamaha....i stay on the trails and do not boon dock....anyone else having belt issues ????

I had similar problems last year. I drill 10-12 holes into the plastic body panel cover just in front of the clutches and installed a 2 x 4 frog skin pre filter vent. I also drilled several holes in the plastic instrument panel piece that goes between the gauges and the handles bars. Over 1200 miles so far and no blown belts.

Also, I would try cleaning your clutches just to make sure there is no belt shrapnel in there.

Good luck

thank you i will check into it.....yamaha was kool about it when i called them...they offered to stand behind my nytro ....they advised me to take it in and have the dealer check the alignment anyway and the blown belt and they would cover it....he did state that i could have gotten a bad belt...also after 2nd ride with yamaha gloves that started to fray they stated they were under warranty for a year...and it wasnt a fight...way to go yamaha

If you're blowing a belt in 28 miles, or 300 miles, trail riding no less, you've got an issue that drilling holes in the side panel is not going to fix.

kopenytro said:
I had similar problems last year. I drill 10-12 holes into the plastic body panel cover just in front of the clutches and installed a 2 x 4 frog skin pre filter vent. I also drilled several holes in the plastic instrument panel piece that goes between the gauges and the handles bars. Over 1200 miles so far and no blown belts.

Also, I would try cleaning your clutches just to make sure there is no belt shrapnel in there.

Good luck

X2, The clutches should be cleaned ever 500 miles.

APEX 06 said:
kopenytro said:

Good luck

X2, The clutches should be cleaned ever 500 miles.
What do you guys use to clean your clutches?

Back