• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bent Spindles?

I will second the West Coast Sleds front end kit. Billet spindles and 1000 kms with no issues. I had timber sled before with the Chromo tube spindles and the oversteer caused them to crush in where they hit the ball joint.

It would have to have been a monumental screw up at the PC's to get an oven that high And may have burned the powder off first. And annealing temp isn't likely to warp them without some outside influence. Since most PC's hang the stuff in the oven, it's unlikely gravity was enough to warp those spindles.

Another point, my MTX is riding around on a bent spindle (somewhere between the amount of the two in this thread) after whacking a large rock buried in the snow. I'm actually AMAZED it didn't break considering it threw me off the sled on the high side of the hill I was playing on.

Powder coating may affect them...
I put a second set of powder coated spindles on my sled.
600km later they were warped in the same way, as well the ski pivots were worn and loose.

I don't jump or slam the front end down at all.
Put my original stock spindles on, 700km and straight as an arrow.

yamahaboy701 said:
mtdream said:
take it to a shop, and have them press them...might be able to bend them back a little...that takes and insane amount of force!!!!

I have a press but am afraid of breaking them and not bending them or would it be ok to put a few tons of force on them?

I have a set of take off spindles that are perfect....make me an offer.

It sounds like the spindles are weak to begin with and the powder coating is just making them weaker. Annealing itself won't warp them but will make the alloy softer and more pliable. That is what annealing is used for. It sounds like a good machined 6061 replacement is in order. I'd do it but mine aren't bent yet. LOL!

OFT if you're reading this - sounds right up your alley. I'll bet people would pay more than the OEM price for something they will not have to replace again. It wouldn't be hard to beef them up a bit. The down side is you'd be have the way to a full front end kit by the time you replace them.

As far as powder coating goes maybe anodizing is a better way to go with these things.

DamonJones said:
OFT if you're reading this - sounds right up your alley.
;)!

If WCS would answer their phones I might buy their kit but nobody has been home the last two days!

Thanks for the offers Summit and evil but I am going to hold off and think about this a little while longer.

The same person who seen they were bent also helped me put them on when I got them back from the PC. We would have noticed if they were bent this much when I put them on. The side that is bent a lot is the same side I hit a creek wall and made a U shape out of my lower right a-arm.

Well guys I lucked out big time. I bought new a-arms for my sled and they just came today and to my surprise it was a complete front end. A-arms, straight spindles, ball joints and even bushings!

I see you got what you needed, but I wanted to comment on the Zbroz front end.

It is MUCH stronger than the OEM front end. I spent a fair amount of time with these guys in Jackson last spring... It is a very good setup.

It is as heavy (or a bit heavier) than OEM, but WAAAY tougher. ;)!

MotoPsycho said:
I see you got what you needed, but I wanted to comment on the Zbroz front end.

It is MUCH stronger than the OEM front end. I spent a fair amount of time with these guys in Jackson last spring... It is a very good setup.

It is as heavy (or a bit heavier) than OEM, but WAAAY tougher. ;)!

I have the timber on mine,,but had i known i too would have had a zbros,,looks solid................happy to hear ya found some parts--onward and upward

spindles

weld a plate on the outside of your spindle, then have it powder coated for looks. Also run a longer bolt on top a arm ball joint with a spacer in between the gap...have some pic's in some of my posts if you look back

Pic of said mod. I cut out 3/16 aluminum plate and had someone weld them, then PC'd them black. They are the original 08 spindles.
spindles.jpg

I see on your top pic you run your skis with both spacers on the inside (wide skis) I do the same but this seems to put the spindle under allot of torque. On a similar note my bro. hit a rock with my sled and took out my spindle ,shock,both A-arms,sub frame and tweaked the frame over about 2mil.

flat sk said:
I see on your top pic you run your skis with both spacers on the inside (wide skis) I do the same but this seems to put the spindle under allot of torque.

A VERY good observation!

Back