• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

^^^thunder has them now...and Dalton in Canada will any day also...

byam 41/37 or 37/41? whats your whole clutch setup and state of tune?
really is it the red one ? on dalton site ?

Last edited:
Right.. Dales secondary is soon... has choices in primaries and helixes right now...
Dale does have a nice selection of Helix...I normally buy from him when Im up north, but here at home I try to buy USA just more cost effective.

Dale has a 32/36 which Id LOVE to try....

Daltons helix below:
Dalton helix SW.jpg

What weights are you running (60y)?
How are they setup?
What are the specs on ulmer spring?

I'm running TD max17 with heavy hitters and our secondary spring to remove coil bind and it rocks with 35/39 helix. 9.44 @ 138 mph 1/4 mile. I have 60y weights but haven't tried them in sidewinder. PM me and I'll help you get your setup better if you want. I ran those weights in my turbo viper with good results.
let me know when you set up your stm weight

That is one thing that Shagman and myself are open with is clutching. We don't race grass or ice and when we race asphalt we need to be as close as possible to our dial-ins as can be. Sure, we want to run as fast as we can, but we need to be spot on and consistent with clutching so we can go rounds. Best part of Shagman's setup is that I am 25 lbs heavier and when I took his sled for a test pass, it was only .010 slower in the 1/4 mile.

Your sled should be running 120's easy deekersrx700. Last season on snow my Sidewinder ran 135mph on trail 419 by Shagman's place. This was with 21/41 gearing and the 1.6 cobra track. That clutch setup is not working for you. You will want to keep that 35/39 for top end.
The 1.6 cobra can't really be compared to the 1.75 backcountry, I'm sure there's an easy 10+ mph lost with it. I'm not satisfied with my clutching thus the thread I started and am open to any advice, before I give up on the stm weights I want to get the new track in and see what the difference is in top end.

Dale does have a nice selection of Helix...I normally buy from him when Im up north, but here at home I try to buy USA just more cost effective.

Daltons helix below:
View attachment 129890
Dan,that is the helix I will try this winter along with Loans secondary spring,if I get it before you do,i will let you know how it works,sience I will also have TD gps/starter gps,which logs 60 foot times,along with ET,s and top speed.

Daltons helix below:
View attachment 129890
Dan Do you think the 32 will help cure the missing fun factor down low ?
I see you got the 129 , which has better transfer .
Are the torsion springs the same on the 129 and 137 ?

the "missing fun factor" cant be fully cured with clutching....the motor is decompressed for boost which gives it a lasier feel until boost builds

Dan Do you think the 32 will help cure the missing fun factor down low ?
I see you got the 129 , which has better transfer .
Are the torsion springs the same on the 129 and 137 ?
Im anxious for sure, since mine is a 129 and will be different then all the time I spent on Toms 137 last winter.

I cant wait to see how it transfers, and moreso Im super anxious to see how that "delay" is on a 100% stocker. I have had my suspicion that the larger outlet and muffler(2.5") has had a negative affect on initial throttle hit. Last season I never was able to ride any other SW back to back with Toms, so I was never able to actually compare to a stocker. So right off the bat, I should learn if that delay is an anomaly with Toms setup, or if it was brought on with the muffler setup. Either way it will give me a ton of info as to what direction I want to take my own sled.

Clutching will only help the stock setup so much, but that 'delay' IMO is purely a turbo spool thing. Ive talked to Allen, Ben, and several other long time Turbo gurus and ALL seem to agree that is what causes it. And I just want to see if it is exacerbated by the larger muffler.

I would like to try that 32/36 from Dalton but I am starting with the 33/35 from Lonn as Shag and Terry have worked with it along with the orange.

What guys need to understand about where I ride is, my setup will likely be alot different then many here...the very tight trails and knolls/elevation changes is why that delay drives me nuts, the etec and 4tec work well with instant throttle response, so that is key for me. I want to have a long convo with Dave about his low rpm spool flash, and see his thoughts. That could be the ticket for my area.

Dan

the "missing fun factor" cant be fully cured with clutching....the motor is decompressed for boost which gives it a lasier feel until boost builds

When looking at some of the dyno sheets floating around...you can really see the HP/TQ how low it actually is down at those lower rpms....Not enough to make that front end dance, not even close down low.

Reactions: krm
My riding conditions sound the same as yours, a combo of tight trails to rail beds to some sweeping woods riding. I plan to try some after market primary weights that I have used in many 4 strokes before that I believe really help the "drive" off the bottom in all sleds.. I already have the TP orange secondary spring and am thinking about trying the adjustable helix set up that G-Force offers.

^^^thunder has them now...and Dalton in Canada will any day also...

byam 41/37 or 37/41? whats your whole clutch setup and state of tune?
GForce 41/37 at 65 degrees
Machined secondary for coil bind, whit stock spring, better roller
Original weight, grinded at 70grams, yellow-white-yellow primary spring
Stock tune
Pretty good snap ;)!

Back