• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

blown belt issue fixed

My Doo buddy has bought new 800 an now 850 every year last 15 years or so. Last year his 850 ate belts,oil and gas. This year same and blew motor at 1500mi. Lost last month of riding. He will be on something else next year. Finished season on a new YXZ!

I don't know about that .... I was picking up my friends Doo from dealer few weeks ago , and while waiting for paper work I talk to guys that work there and he said that they have turned away at lest 5 customer's whose wanted to trade theirs Winders for 850's this winter.
Yeah because why worry about blowing a belt when you can just blow a motor!
And yeah, I can see a dealer turning people away that want to trade in a 2 year old sled. Totally makes good business sense! Go troll some idiots. Too many knowledgeable people here. Don't waste their time!

Last edited:
Yeah because why worry about blowing a belt when you can just blow a motor!
And yeah, I can see a dealer turning people away that want to trade in a 2 year old sled. Totally makes good business sense! Go troll some idiots. Too many knowledgeable people here. Don't waste their time!
I don’t troll anyone , I’m just saying what dealer told me. I sold my ‘16 800 Doo and bought myself ‘17 Winder LE . I knew it’s not going to perfect out of box and I need to put money and some work in to it . For what is worth my 800 newer blew belt , I sold it with 2000 miles on it and original belt, and guy who’s own it now still riding it with same belt. After I tuned my sled with 265 hp my new JP belt lasted about 200 miles...

Well, maybe your doo dealer is sour about you going to yami so he's feeding you a line of crap. If you blew a belt in 200 miles your set up is way off or your clutches need alignment. There is plenty of info on here and many people more than willing to help you figure things out.
What is your set up?

Well, maybe your doo dealer is sour about you going to yami so he's feeding you a line of crap. If you blew a belt in 200 miles your set up is way off or your clutches need alignment. There is plenty of info on here and many people more than willing to help you figure things out.
What is your set up?
I have D&D do all work, they used their flash, muffler and TP clutch kit.I called them right after I blew my belt, and they told me “ technician usually check clutch alignment while doing install on machine , and they recommend after market belt “ . Well I’m not so sure if they really checked clutches like they said they did .

I live 5 hrs away from my sled in season and keep it in enclosed two place trailer up state NY , so there is not much that I can do myself in winter time. So if something needs to be fixed, installed etc , in season I relay on local dealers . I called dealer also about belt blowing problem but they didn’t help much .

Well if a shop says they "usually" check something that would raise a red flag with me. It's easy enough to do with a good straight edge and vernier calipers, Or if you're not confident enough to do it, bring it back to them and let them handle it. I'm sure your kit wasn't cheap and blowing belts can get pricey so it's worth the extra time to get it right.

Riding is almost over in NY , I have maybe one or two weekends left . I’m planning to bring sled in to different shop for clutch work, or maybe wait till ‘19 Yamaha clutch set up become available if they even change anything . Since I blew my belt I carry 3 spare belts with me so my riding buddies can make fun out me and my sled :))

anyone notice Yamaha uses a circlip on secondary shaft ( inner bearing race ) and Cat has circlip in support housing ( Outer bearing race) .
What do think that will do for off set if bearing walks under load . Just a thought :o|

Back