• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Broken Bottom Gear Chaincase Bolt

arteeex said:
No symptoms. From what I can tell the bolt is there to aid assembly. I don't see what's loading the bolt to cause this failure. But I suspect it's because the drive shaft is restrained on both ends from axial movement, so something has to give when the shaft flexes.
As noted, the broken section will come out easily. I drilled an 1/8" hole and tapped a square-drive screwdriver bit in, then backed the section out.

The Yamaha mechanic said the exact same thing when he was replacing mine. He believes that if there was room for something to move somewhat, that these bolts wouldn't break so often. Like you said, something's gotta give.

The -10 xtx got longer drive shaft at the gear side with a lockin ring inside the shaft to prevent the bolt to move out if it brake.

I can't see how it can affect anything with the bolt missing and the way its all designed (with that spring and outer bearing). I'm leaving it out.

Back