• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

BRP Ice Scratchers

Not yet but why not, the tip can go on either left or right. Mine uses on a 45 degree angle toward the sled. So what stopping from using the other half side of the tip?

I'm probably not explaining myself properly cause its opposite of rocket science. Unlike some figuring out upgrading/documenting fuel pump upgrade and scavenge bottom of fuel tank mods. ;)

Last edited:
Not yet but why not, the tip can go on either left or right. Mine uses on a 45 degree angle toward the sled. So what stopping from using the other half side of the tip?
I thought the same thing. BUT I don’t think it will work unless I’m missing something. That’s why I was asking if you tried it yet.

You got it Jon. Unless you drill and tap the tip not gonna happen
When you buy the tips as spares. They don't have a particular side they need to go between the left side of sled and right side of sled. Mine gets used where the blue is. A swap would restore useful life on the untouched green side.

1677416063089.png

Attachments

• 1677416000302.png
    1677416000302.png
    58.8 KB · Views: 26
When you buy the tips as spares. They don't have a particular side they need to go between the left side of sled and right side of sled. Mine gets used where the blue is. A swap would restore useful life on the untouched green side.

View attachment 171813
Doesn’t the set screw face the rear of the sled when they are down? I thought I seen that the end of the scratcher has a flat spot that the set screw goes into.

Doesn’t the set screw face the rear of the sled when they are down? I thought I seen that the end of the scratcher has a flat spot that the set screw goes into.

Yes. Looking from the back of the sled, the scratchers 'splay' outwards. If you take the silver wear piece and move it from the right side of the sled to the left side of the sled you will be exposing fresh material. In @Phatboyc picture above, the image would be installed on the left hand scratcher (looking from rear) and the blue part would be getting worn. If you then remove that piece and swap it for the one on the right, the green edge would now be down and it would be getting worn. I happen to have an uninstalled set here. The picture below is the left side scratcher as seen from the rear, the right side is a mirror image.

1677469754670.png

Yes. Looking from the back of the sled, the scratchers 'splay' outwards. If you take the silver wear piece and move it from the right side of the sled to the left side of the sled you will be exposing fresh material. In @Phatboyc picture above, the image would be installed on the left hand scratcher (looking from rear) and the blue part would be getting worn. If you then remove that piece and swap it for the one on the right, the green edge would now be down and it would be getting worn. I happen to have an uninstalled set here. The picture below is the left side scratcher as seen from the rear, the right side is a mirror image.

View attachment 171827One of my riding buddies has them on his 900 and his lay level to the ground as I noticed his are wearing evenly straight across the bottom.

Either he has a different model or they are worn to the extent that the bottom edge is flat? Dunno, OK, I just looked at the BRP catalog.

Tunnel Ice Scratchers - REV-XM, XP Summit

SKU 860200444
860200444_tunnel_ice_scratchers.jpg.jpg

Tunnel Ice Scratchers With Replaceable Tips​

SKU 860202388 and SKU 860202387

860202388_tunnel_ice_scratchers_with_replaceable_tips.jpeg.jpeg

The bent wire models are definitely going to wear differently than the straight wire models.

View attachment 171827
I don't have these, however I would probably drill & tap another mounting position on the other side and opposite end of the original one and get full use of that scratcher puck.... Even if doesn't go through I'd make that a straight through scratcher puck..... I like stretching my dollars beyond the intended design.

I looked at reversing them but the issue I believe is the end of the round bar has a flat side on it that the set screw bottoms out onto.. Guessing that flat spot is on the wire rod for a reason.. And maybe I just looked at it wrong, but i don't think they can be reversed and still have the set screw bottom out on the flat section. Now some mods to how this puck gets mounted and or the rod itself could solve the issue.. I rarely use mine but when I do drop them they spray sh*& everywhere..

I think the easiest way to modify them would be to grind a "slot" in the rod so the set screw would hold the tips in place without ultimately getting loose and falling off.

Back