• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

BUMP STEER IMPROVEMENT

00-NUKE

Expert
I have been able to eliminate the studder bump sway from my XTX. I am sill working on an imprvement for the heavy steering. Check it out.

Attachments

• DSC09166 Detailed Bushings.JPG
    DSC09166 Detailed Bushings.JPG
    305.2 KB · Views: 355
  • DSC09167 Detailed Parallel.JPG
    DSC09167 Detailed Parallel.JPG
    271.6 KB · Views: 333

Testing

The current mod is proven, but I would like to try different angles. Due to being out of season, future testing will have to wait until next winter. I believe that raising to a true parallel would be even better for handling. My fear is that too long of a bolt would not be sufficient for agressive riding. I'm running a 304SS bolt. A hardened steel would be stronger, but a taller spindle would be the perfect fix.

Re: Testing

00-NUKE said:
The current mod is proven, but I would like to try different angles. Due to being out of season, future testing will have to wait until next winter. I believe that raising to a true parallel would be even better for handling. My fear is that too long of a bolt would not be sufficient for agressive riding. I'm running a 304SS bolt. A hardened steel would be stronger, but a taller spindle would be the perfect fix.

Arctic Cat has some

Re: Testing

sledheadgeorge said:
00-NUKE said:

Arctic Cat has some

Thanks for the obvious! ;)!
Actually, Cat's design is ingenious, if it works. They are running a gradual increase on their angle from sled to spindle. That would allow for the carbides to dig harder to the outside in corners as pressure is applied. The only problem that I can see is that they may have some of the same stability issues that the nytro has with the studder bump strait trails. Hopefully it works as advirtised..... That may be the only thing cat has working for them. Their 4-strokes are still tanks! :yam:

Does this change front ride height?

Ride Height

STAIN said:
Does this change front ride height?

Not at all. All your doing is raising the upper swing arm. This keeps the vertical motion of the spindle perpendicular to the ground throughout the suspensions travel.

Why would Yamaha not have built the sled this way if that is all that was required to make it right?

IMO you guys are all chasing a dream.

DREAM??

TurboJamie said:
Why would Yamaha not have built the sled this way if that is all that was required to make it right?

I guess we like buying a $11,000 sled and spending even more cause we can???? :bling Don't know about you, but I'd be investing into the development of the money tree if I was chasing a "dream". Don't get me wrong, I believe in Yamaha's development team, their constant advancement towards the future and their product, but I also live in reality. I am an Engineering Tech for one of the largest medical device companys in the world, and when dealing with mass production, a company does not want to stray too far away from the origional product due to cost and to retain consumer faith in the product. The 2008's had a lot of flaws, but I don't expect Yamaha to create all new Ball joints, Spindles, Skiis, Venting, Steering, etc. Especially for a product that is geared toward the average consumer. Their is noooo perfect sled, but there is a lot room for improvement with just about any product. Just ask Scott and Jeff at OFT Racing or Dave at Hurricane Performance how they make their money? They'll tell you just how unperfect the stock Nytro is, but with a few improvements she's SWEEEEET!

IMO This site is to ask/answer questions and offer assistance. Not to be hatin'! If Ideas or improvements aren't up your alley, keep walkin'. :-o

well said!! I'm in the same boat, I'm a Mechanical engineering tech, and i'm always pulling things apart, seeing how they "tick"... and find myslef asking.. Why... Look at the automotive world and the changes that happen year to year...

Keep the mods comming, if they work.. they work.. if people don't like the ideas or designs.. change them, or move on!

TurboJamie said:

The people, mentors and teachers that I have respected most in my life and learned the most from have always encouraged me to chase my dreams.

That's what I have done, that is what I will continue to do.

To the people that have told me "that's not possible", thank you for all of the rewarding moments that I have had in my life proving you wrong.

00-NUKE said:
Their is noooo perfect sled.

Yes there is silly.

Mine.

;)!

Carry on with the dreamin'
Scott

Back