• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

BUMP STEER IMPROVEMENT

A few years ago I'd contacted Holtz asking if they were going to make aftermarket spindles like they did for the Polaris IQ. They never responded. Seems like it would be easy enough for them to do it. I'd think there would be a market as the majority of Nytro owners would like for their sled to handle better and be more stable.

AKrider said:
A few years ago I'd contacted Holtz asking if they were going to make aftermarket spindles like they did for the Polaris IQ. They never responded. Seems like it would be easy enough for them to do it. I'd think there would be a market as the majority of Nytro owners would like for their sled to handle better and be more stable.

I don't know about the " majority " Ak....most guys are able to do a few simple mods to get the Nytro to handle just fine...I still think the Skinz a-arms are the way to go.

I'm just curious, on the pics of the beat up trail you showed a few pages back...how fast do you ride through that stuff? I ride trails that can be beat up almost as bad as that and don't have any issues...but I don't try to go through them at 90mph either.

What about this...mjaremko seemed to get his sled handling great

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

shaddow44 said:
I'm just curious, on the pics of the beat up trail you showed a few pages back...how fast do you ride through that stuff? I ride trails that can be beat up almost as bad as that and don't have any issues...but I don't try to go through them at 90mph either.

DSC01237.jpg

DSC01204.jpg

There you go, I try to ride through whoops like that as fast as possible. The Nytro cannot go anywhere near as fast through them as a Polaris Pro-R. The Nytro becomes unstable and jinks to one side or another when pushed through the whoops or stutters. The Pro-R on the other hand remains stable and in control. Both sleds bottom out and buck around, its just that the Pro-R isn't trying to pitch you off the trail and into the alders.

The spindle mod isn't anything I'm interested in for two reasons. Number 1 it isn't doing anything to reduce bump steer and number 2, the stock Nytro spindles are already weak and making them into a two piece unit is not a good idea for what I do with my sled. I do think his mods have merit as lowering the Nytro will help it corner better. Lowering the back of the sled is a great mod as it doesn't cost a guy anything but time. However, neither mod is going reduce the Nytro's tendancy to wander through the rough.

shaddow44 said:
AKrider said:

I don't know about the " majority " Ak....most guys are able to do a few simple mods to get the Nytro to handle just fine...I still think the Skinz a-arms are the way to go.

What about this...mjaremko seemed to get his sled handling great

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

I think that mod would be great for a flat circle track, but I prefer to loose a little cornering to keep the ground clearance myself. I do a lot of ditch bangin' and I like to know that my belly pan isn't riding bottom when I come down hard.

ak rider i'd agree with you on that two piece spindle.i have already broken two spindles, and with my kind of riding i don't see the two piece design holding up real especially in the twisties.

AKrider said:
I've been busy with my house but got a chance to play around with the used, right hand '09 spindle I bought off eBay. I was surprised to find the tie rod mounting tabs were higher on the '09 spindle compared to the '08. I thought this was weird since both 00-Nuke and myself found that bump steer was reduced by lowering the toe rod end on the spindle.

DSC01322.jpg

In this photo I've got the '09 spindle lying on top of the '08 version. You can see the tie rod tabs come mounted higher on the '09 spindle.

I decided to swap my LH '08 spindle and install it on the RH side. This way my tie rod mounting point was closer to the frame of the sled (just like the '09) and my tie rod end would be mounted lower than possible with the '09. I noticed the upper ball joint mounting hole is not positioned directly in the center of the spindle for either the '08 or '09. This caused my swapped '08 spindle to have some negative camber with the stock upper ball joint. I didn't measure what the camber angle was. I then set up the laser and cycled the a-arms through their stroke and the toe change did not appear to be very significant. This is encouraging and I need to measure everything but from what I've already learned, I think this may allow me to position the toe rod end in the sweet spot and reduce or completely eliminate bump steer. Once I get more time I'll post my findings.

I'm puzzled why Yamaha would take the trouble to raise the tie rod mounting tabs on the '09 spindle? Their tie rod angle appears to be flawed and it appears to me that they went out of their way to preserve the flawed angle. It is too early to pass judgement on that but additional testing should determine if I'm correct.

Seems to be all good findings. I put the 2008 spindles back on the 08 Nytro when I got rid of it. Am I understanding this correctly? It's sounding like the 08 spindles might be better on the 09 A-arms? Keep me posted!

AKrider said:
My short answer is I don't think there would be much benefit to installing '08 spindles on a '09 or newer Nytro.

One of the differences between the '09 and '08 was shorter upper a-arms on the '09. The tie rods were also shorter on the '09 as the '09 mounting tabs were on the inside of the spindle. My guess would be that '08 spindles run in the correct position on an '09 front end wouldn't do much and it's possible the tie rods would be too short to mount up. If the '08 spindle was flipped around and installed on an '09, I think there would be excessive negative camber but the tie rod mount would be lower than on an '09.

Both versions of spindles have the inside edges beveled for clearance. This would not be difficult to do with a grinder on an '08 spindle. From what I can tell, it would be pretty easy to flip the spindles and run them on an '08.

One downside to the '08 spindle is you would not benefit from the increased trail the '09 spindle features, which in theory, should increase the high speed stability.

Then why couldn't you flip the 08' spindles and run them on the 09'? You'd think that would get rid of the negative camber issue with that configuration?

You could but you'd have a lot more negative camber (top of the spindles leaning inwards towards the sled) than stock. This is due to the shorter upper a-arms on the '09 plus when you flip the spindles, the upper mounting bolt hole is offset and mounts with more negative camber.

AKrider said:
You could but you'd have a lot more negative camber (top of the spindles leaning inwards towards the sled) than stock. This is due to the shorter upper a-arms on the '09 plus when you flip the spindles, the upper mounting bolt hole is offset and mounts with more negative camber.

I might pick up a set of 08' spindles next weekend at the Princeton Grass Drags. I'll be up there selling stuff anyway. I'm thinking that if Negative camber is the only issue, the 14mm mod that I added to mine on top of the spindle pushes the upper a-arm mounting point up and outward. That would be pretty funny if all I need is "older" spindles. Either way, I think the Negative camber issue would be easier to fix for most people than the tie rod.

Interesting, I didn't think about how your 14mm mod would effect it. If it will push them outwards, you'll minimize the negative camber and if you've still got some stock upper ball joints, it may put the '08 spindles at the stock negative camber angle for your '09 geometry front end.

I agree that the lower tie rod mounting tabs on the '08 spindles would be worth trying them out over modding the mounting tabs on stock '09 spindles.

AKrider said:
Interesting, I didn't think about how your 14mm mod would effect it. If it will push them outwards, you'll minimize the negative camber and if you've still got some stock upper ball joints, it may put the '08 spindles at the stock negative camber angle for your '09 geometry front end.

I agree that the lower tie rod mounting tabs on the '08 spindles would be worth trying them out over modding the mounting tabs on stock '09 spindles.

Have you noticed any difference in castor angle between the two? That would be the only other factor that I can think of.

From the specifications, the '09 spindles are supposed to have a caster angle about 4 degrees more slack (laid back) from the '08. I've not mounted the '09 spindle on my sled to check the difference with my angle finder.

Now that you bring this up, the reduced caster angle could have been the reason why they raised the mounting tabs for the tie rod? I should get a chance to play around with my sled later this week and start taking some measurements. I also have a spliter for the laser level that turns the beam into a "plus" sign so I'll easily be able to see the change in camber since the spliter has a level built into it.

Back